Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Suggestions Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Suggestions Needed Reply with quote

Hi,

I am rapidly approaching the end of the restoration of my 1953 series II. Body all done, paint finished, engine and box coming back from the shop next week.

The final big job is re-wiring. I already have a new loom but lack the courage to try it myself. Can anyone suggest a good auto electrician in Sydney who understands Morries and can carry out a full re-wire?

Secondly, I need to have most shiny bits re-chromed (bumpers, hubcaps, bonnet hinges etc). Can anyone suggest a good company in Sydney that won't cost the earth?

Appreciate the input.

Thanks

rustbucket
Morris knowledge base

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gee
a morry loom is the easiest to install
especially when it's colour co-ordinated

go on be game

ive reinstalled looms that were old [in the days whjen you never dreamed new looms existed]..and they were faded series 2 looms which had no colours left and they were easy...and Ive also repaired damaged looms with bits of others...

yours will be a snack with fresh colours. [assuming you are using a new loom, which are available...]

whats hard about it..colours,new fittings,everything is easy to locate.

have you got your old loom as sample...then just compare where you unbolted connectors.

or get them to copy your old loom...

what I am saying is dont be scared of morry electricals...the workshop manuals show everything you need to know

and the run of wires are very simple with no complicated routings

so a new loom ready made can be installed by you....besides in the future you will have an understanding if anything goes wrong.

there is an aussie loom company who posts ..but i think he is now in queensland having originally resided in sydney,.

vintage wiringlooms..google this name or a similar name you should find them listed on I think classic cars magazine site.

Last edited by rustbucket on Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have a brand new loom which I ordered from the folks in Bellingen.... My problem is that when I dismantled the car for painting I stripped out the old loom and chucked it away (It was very rotten).

Yes the new one is colour coded - Sorry to sound dumb but does this follow the diagram in the repair manuals? Are there any books about, or is there a method written down anywhere I could follow?

I have to admit I laid it out on the floor when I first received and it looked a little too complicated for me. Have done plenty of mechanical stuff but never touched electrics before.

So still interested in suggestions for a company to do it for me. If their quote is too high I might just tackle it myself anyway!

Cheers

rustbucket
Morris knowledge base

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david

the book shows all colours which are standard..

find one end of that colour and trace it to the next end...simple as that..

sorry dont know any auto electricians as i turned off electricians when after taking my goggomobil to one he droped a screwdriver on my freshly painted goggo ,scratching it.and then telling me he had no idea of why it wasnt charging...thats when I turned off electricians...

I'd rather not pay for something I learned to do myself out of frustration of unknowledgeable "experts"

As it is now i am out of morrys now so have no full looms to lend you as a template,,as what I have left has been canabalised and faded.

you can run a test down each wire to see which end is connected to the other end

sorry cant recomend an expert other than yourself.[you gotta learn somewhere with Lucas the king of darkness]as in the fuuture if you are left in darkness you will have some idea..

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...Well, perhaps I will give it a try...Anyone else have any helpful suggestions, tips, tricks etc?

Also, still keen to know if anyone knows of a good, afforable chrome plater!

Cheers

Scouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
The looms from Vintage Wiring Harnesses are very good & will be done in the original colours so just have a look at the wiring diagram.

Once you lay the harness out, it's easy to see where it all goes. Having the car stripped makes it even easier.

As for chrome platers, I think Blu Chrome is still going in Sydney but do a search & you'll find a place in Dubbo has a very good reputation amongst some on here.

Whereabouts in Sydney are you?
If nearby, I could call around & give you a hand with the harness or give you some tips.

melburgorbust
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, do it yourself, get a good quality set of crimpers and connections, and a good quality test light just to double check each connection, once you get the hang of it it is one of the easiest things to do on a car.

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I'm in the south round Sutherland way. Be glad of a hand if you have the time one weekend!

Cheers

Mog Dog
2nd gear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: PM Sent Reply with quote

David,

PM sent. I too live in the Shire.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: