Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Windscreen Wiper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Windscreen Wiper Reply with quote

Managed to find a Morris 1500 Wiper motor ( Round Type) It has three wires plus black earth on body Colours Are green, green black, and green yellow.
The motor has three legs and will fit Morris 1000 postion.
Question 1 Anyone have the wiring diagram ??
Question 2 Is it atwo speed ??
Any help or suggestions welcome. Yellow Sedan Yellow Ute

rustbucket
Morris knowledge base

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john
if i remember rightly
the 2 speed has 4 slide in terminals mounted together with a plastic plug in to slide into it
but i still think there is also an earth line on the body..having said that one of the slide terminals i think is an earth if i remember

not sure if yours could be an earlier one before using a terminal slide in

have recently tested all mine and found the above one was 2 speed and all others were 1 speed..did not find it possible your type was two speed unless the body mounted earth is the same as that on the above slide in

often the wiper motor is earthed in two areas either side of the motor and corresponding body

you could try swaping wires around as this is what i did and did not do any damage

but having said that try at your risk
generally a quick touch will only cause a spark if its incorrect and i have never damaged one doing this..but at your risk.

edit: in relation to above:[Trev in posting below has mentioned he has burnt off parking arm doing this...i have been lucky with no such occurance and have tested a lot..I have a lot of experience with radio control cars and batteries [where a short will blow out an electronic speed control in the blink of an eye] as well as morries wiring but Trev is an actual sparky telstra guy so he will know]

Last edited by rustbucket on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wrong wire & a short spark is all that is needed to burn the parking arm off the back of the main gear, be carefull i've done it
Trev
Aus

rustbucket
Morris knowledge base

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then john dont do it
trev has experienced disaster doing it.

i have never but I may have been lucky and I have tried a lot.

i will modify my experience on previous posting

although the parking arm is a simple repair dont you think

rustbucket
Morris knowledge base

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those wondering what the parking arm is

it is a small arm made of copper [at least on early wipers] that rests on the main gear and centres the wipers when the electricity is turned off

it does not stop the wiper working if removed only stops centering
You can imagine it burning out like a large fused link in that the arm is probably the thinest piece of electrical conductor in the wiper motor

Although i could easily understand this burning out i would find it hard to believe a brief spark could hurt the windings of the motor as these are substantial,and certainly could not hurt the commutator whether even a spark across the brushes..maybe a burn that could be cleaned off if anything

any damage to motors is generally under load such as a seized bearing or wipers stuck on screen,and power continually applied to this seized situation.if the power is relaxed shortly after seizing, a motor can usually be saved..

whether the arms for the brushes could be hurt I dont think so as they are steel [but there is the fact they are thin]..

.but definately the copper parking arm I can see as the weakest link..
having said that it is the easiest thing to repair as if it burns across the arm a simple soldering of a piece of copper on top should repar it..

ironically most 1000 wipers i have pulled apart are often separated from this arm due to the wire being damaged by age..or the rubber around it deteriated in that it could short out on the body..so repairs on early wipers are needed anyway.

the later ones use a different type arm so a replacement if not repairable by solder would need to be found..simple to replace assuming the part is available ,it works in a slightly different way to early ones but the principle is the same.

a morry type wiper is simple..it has no delicate parts other than perhaps the parking arm......whether modern wipers have changed I dont know,but these morry motors do seem to keep on keeping on even when brushes are worn ...never really effective wipers but they do keep going
unfortunately the series 2 wipers were the slowest of all,often not up to the heavy rain.

bigcarle
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found in the mini wiper motor a 3 terminal wiper is 1 speed and the 4 terminal wiper is 2 speed. however if you have a good sparkie somr of those single speed round ones have room for the extra pole and can be convertedother wise a mk 2 triumph sedan is 2 speed cable type as well as later mini's. all the 1100,1500,and 1800's i have seen are all sigle speed
cheers

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick visit to Morris1500/Nomad site and I found out two speed wiper were fitted mid 1973 my one is a 1972 unit. Problem now solved . Motor to go in bin
Thanks all. Yellow Sedan Red Sedan Blue Sedan

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those motors are a lot faster than a morrie motor, so put a resister switch on it & run it 1/2 speed for slow, & full for your second speed, you might bluff the engineer. Very Happy Very Happy
Trev
Aus

Tadhg
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev, your idea made me chuckle at the time with its common sense. But, reading this... Maybe it would work, but only in reverse. Shocked Maybe there's someone on here who could confirm it - adding a resistor to the circuit making a wiper motor run faster...
If that's the case, it makes the 1500 unit too fast for a Minor, and able to go doubly fast! Good timing...

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't realy jokin Very Happy use a heater switch to give 2 speeds, as long as it does the amount of wipes per min per spec, (i cant remember what it is ) it will pass, you don't actualy need 2 speed wipers for rego in NSW, but you do have to have so many wipes per min, & a standard morrie motor won't do it.
Trev
Aus

Tadhg
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think you were joking, Trev. Very Happy It makes too much sense, and I'd be surprised if there's anything that states how those speeds are to be achieved. I'd thought about that sort of thing before myself, but only in passing. I was just surprised that the other thread says that adding the resistor speeds up the wipers, not slows them down. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: