Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Side valve temperature gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinkerbell
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Side valve temperature gauge Reply with quote

I have been strongly advised by my mechanic to install a temperature gauge to the motor I am having rebuilt. Being a bit of a classics nut I originally opted for the 918cc side valve engine and now have two lovely but no longer working cars in my garage. With all the work (and $'s) going into the project, I would hate to scorch the insides of another motor when I eventually get them back on the road. Embarassed

I've had a look at the side valve engine and cannot see anywhere that a temperature gauge would be able to readily be installed. The brass bolt in the cylinder head doesn't appear deep enough.

Any suggestions????

oliver-morrisminor
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a radiator with the correct fitting put intop the top radiator tank.

Or i am considering making up a S/S tube section on the bottom radiator hose and fitting a sender there so i don't alter the radiator. I know this will not give me the most accurate temp, but I can monitor it and it would be better than nothing.

tortron
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the later style head - with the bit for the thermostat - there is a blank (on the raised water gallery part) where a fitting could be attached

this is where i plan on mounting mine

or talk to the local vw or air cooled microlight guys and get a cylinder head temperature gauge
They bolt under the sparkplug

bigcarle
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with my first car (s/v 4door minor) my father soldered a fitting into the top tank to take a gauge unit. worked well

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: