Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

heater for the morrie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: heater for the morrie Reply with quote

I was wondering if I could get some ideas from you all of what non morris minor heater fits nicely in a minor. I have heard that datsun 1000 heaters fit nicely but they are as rare as rockin horse poop.

What have you all fitted with success as i would like to have a choice where the heat goes.

Also if i was to fit aircon, which one fits the best. incedentally i am using a toyota 7ke engine.

thanks, darren

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van has a 120Y heater system but then it also has the 120Y firewall to make it all fit. I did have A/C fitted also but it was never completed (all parts fitted, just never had the hoses made).

My sedan has a Daihatsu Handivan heater which is rather tall but fits well IMO. It's controls are cable operated so it gave me a bit of leeway when fitting the control panel.

Shawn
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I restored a Datsun 1000 unit with the intention of fitting it, but IMHO it was just too tall. You're right in saying that they are almost impossible to get.

A 120Y unit is good in that it's self contained and has all the controls, vents and cables (incl tap) in one module. They are pretty big, though. I've got a good one here which I've been considering using, but I'd have to get rid of parcel tray and stuff.

Later Mini heaters are fittable as well, but I haven't played with these.

I'd suggest looking for a Smith's "Beehive" type heater or an early aftermarket accessory heater. They do come up on ebay reasonably often. Decent ones go for up to $150. Even ones in poorer condition can be restored if the matrix is ok.

As far as a/c goes, I guess an underdash unit from a 70s car would be the go, with underbonnet bits (compressor etc) from a small modernish Japanese/Korean car. (unless the 7ke had AC as an option, in which case I'd start there) I'd look in that direction because the compressor from something with a tiny engine won't sap too much power.

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(decent ones go for up to $150) The last Beehive Heater Straco sold on ebay made $360 he tried the forum members first and nobody wanted it. William Ballard

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Blue Sedan G/day Libbor, l have a Mini cooper heater assy which a lot of our members fit to their morry's it is in good condition with 2 speed fan and shut of valve for when you are demisting on a morry it fits under the dash l am about to list it on ebay wanting about $250 for it.
Eye Rolls Blue Convertible William Ballard.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi William

Can I have your phone no so that I may talk to you

Cheers

Darren

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Blue Sedan Hi Darren my home Ph is 49763854 or Mb 0418660848 but you are more likely to reach me on my home No. Regards William Ballard.

redback
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Van I will be taking a heater to the nationals that I would like to sell it could easily be modified to fit under the dash but I dont know what it is from. Any one interested can see me there and you can not miss my bright yellow van with murals. Regards Heather

rustbucket
Morris knowledge base

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if any aforementioned heaters are no longer available i have genuine bakerlight morry heaters, aftermarket smith heaters and late morry minor ones same as cooper ones , and a few others.

pm me if interested

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but Russell, how much do you want for these?

Cheers

Darren

tonynoosa
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: another one Reply with quote

I have a baker lite one that may be up for grabs as well just need to seee what is in the old bus in the back yard first (help arrives on Tuesday to get it out) the one in the bus is a round type with grill all way round 2 outlets on firewall and two flaps on the other side so you can warm the cab .
I like the look of this one better than the old bakerlite Smiths.
but as mine is a ute i am going to mount behind the seats so the heat works on me first.
going to run 1/2 in copper that is insulated down each side of the engin bay and cab to centre of rear cab.
neater engin bay (I hope)
I allso have the raditor from a water bucket type motor bike with a 12 volt fan it is small, flat except for the motor bit and would fit in the glove box it was my first collect when putting together the parts for this rebuild it has a raditor cap as well that may need blocking off but I felt that it would give acess to letting out water (or letting in air ) cost 125$ at the bike wreckers.

rustbucket
Morris knowledge base

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi darren
sorry removing posts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: