Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Newbie Question - Making Trafficators Work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Newbie Question - Making Trafficators Work! Reply with quote

Hi all!
just wondering if the trafficators had to run off a separate switch other than the indicator stalk.. the guy i got the car from disconnected the trafficators but couldn't remember if he had removed an extra switch or not! and if im looking at getting them working again is wiring hard?

tortron
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

originally there was a switch down under the drivers dash area

they may go first pop if you connect them up again, they may need a little bit of help the first time or so (cleaning them would help this)

tho if the coil has lost its coating they may need to be rewound

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply.. i can't seem to see a switch alas it may have been removed.. any pics of what it looks like and where it should be?
Cheers,
Tom

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the year of manufacture...what year is your car?

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your car has trafficators then it would not have had flashing blinkers, which will have been a later addition including the stalk on the column

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a 1958 with trafficators and they fitted later model mga style blinker/driving lights to the front guards as the previous owner's girls (who drove the car) got annoyed that people didnt understand what a trafficator was..

the photo i have of the trafficator has tape over it to stop people opening them out while the car was in storage.. the indicator stalk i believe is correct it has the green flashing lens.. i thought 1958's had that stalk but different indicators.. but either way im trying to research and find a pic of what the trafficator control should look like and where it went in the car

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On checking my books your car originally had just the trafficators, but these were controlled by the stalk control on the column, not a seperate switch. The column stalk also operated the horn, which was a push in control at the end of the stalk. There was an indicator light in the speedo to show when trafficators were up. The stalk was non self cancelleing.

In 1959 (March) the horn was relocated to the centre of the steering wheelk and the indicator light was put at the end of the stalk as a green lens.

So if your car is 1958 you would have a stalk on the column with the horn in the end of it. This was the original control for your trafficators, there was no other switch.

On my car (a much earlier Series II) I have the trafficators running off their original switch on the dash, and have fitted a second switch to run the blinkers seperately. This is the easiest way to wire it up. You just need a feed from at A4 fuse to the centre of a three way toggle switch, and the wire from the trafficators then goes to each side (Right and left). The wire from the traffocators will probably still be there and runs in from the side of the car into the dash area on each side.

I'd suggest removing the trafficators first and testing them out with a 12 volt supply to make sure they work

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for looking that up for me David..
i think i may leave the stalk where it is and run a second switch as you suggest. (being new to all this it will be a bit of fun) do you have the traditional lucas style switch with the lamp in the middle of it to operate your trafficators?

if i just run a 12v current to the wire from the trafficator it should pop out or do i need to setup a little bit of test wire with an inline fuse?
Thanks again!

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trafficator switch is the slightly later "self cancelling" one which is a white switch. It is worn to the point where it self cancels too quickly now - it is supposed to sit out to one side for a few minutes and slowly ease back in but now you need to hold it out. I only use trafficators to impress my friends for a bit of fun, I use blinkers in modern traffic. I have just purchased an original brown bakelight trafficator switch to wire in for the modern blinkers but have yet to figure out the wiring.

Take the trafficators out (two screws inside the pillar) and give them a good clean. Check they move easily and freely. Connect the body (main metail sript that holds everything) to earth and touch a 12 volt supply to the terminal near the magnet while holding the body. The arm should pop out smartly and the bulb light up. Be ready and don't drop it!

If arm works but bulb doesn't light you remove the orange plastic cover and replace the bulb.

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much you description of what to do is excellent!
i shall do it next weekend when im out at the car and let you know how it goes!

ill ask a friend re hooking up your bakerlight switch to indicators as his mga uses one

Thanks so much,
Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: