Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Panel Van build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PV_Mark
I can do it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Panel Van build Reply with quote

Hey guys, thought you might be interested in my morrie build. Its a 56 panelvan using a 53 split windscreen 2 door as the cab and putting it all onto a 84 hilux chassis with 253 and trimatic...
ATM looking at SR reg... gives me 90 days in 12 months to drive.... not bad...
But have booked my engineer in to come have a look and advise of cost and requirements of having it run full reg.....
Look forward to hearing what you guys think

cant work out how to post pics yet but will soon...

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G’day

Welcome to our community.
Yet another new member with an interesting vision of what a Morry should be in the 21st century. There are a few on hear who would like a V8 in their Morry so they will be interested in how you get on.
Pictures are always good.

Cheers
Graham
Very Happy Blue Sedan Very Happy

Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see another modifier on the site.
Where do you live as SR rego is only available in a few states and I have never seen a Morrie on SR rego.
there is SI rego in Tasmania.

Good luck with the build

Bruce

PV_Mark
I can do it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in melbourne...
Have been around the hot rod scene for a while and never seen a morris there... I find it hard to belive as they are a great shape and still affordable...
So i thought its time to bring one out...lol

Kustombruce
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark
Are you sure it fits the VIC SR rego scheme?
I haven't done much research on the Vic scheme but I would be surprised if a Morrie would be eligible

Bruce

PV_Mark
I can do it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see why it wouldent... Its no different really to a modified US car..
I have spoken with the guy from ASRF TAC group and told him what it was and he had no issues that he raised but Im speaking with him in length tommorrow so I will let you know
Mark

53s2mm
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mark one thing, what did the man from ASRF say about a post 48 car being on SR rego.

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,will be interesting to hear what your engineer and the street rod federation have to say about your plans!I thought they were pretty firm on the pre 48 requirements to qualify for street rod rego and from my reading of the street rod build regs,the vehicle had to be manufactured pre 48 as a full chassis vehicle!I remember a long time ago in what I think was an australian custom rodder magazine,seeing a morrie with chopped roof,body shortened by around 14 inches and mounted on a chassis in the build section but have never seen it as a completed and running vehicle but that was way back before current regs etc.I had thought about something similiar with my sedan at one stage but my reading of the regs led me to believe that it would never pass requirements and Im not loaded with enough cash to give it a try.Good luck and pls let us know how you go,the morrie certainly has the shape to pull it off if you can do it..

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way,anyone heading to the Victorian Hot Rod Show this weekend at Exhibition Buildings,I am!

PV_Mark
I can do it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... spoke with the guy today from ASRF and with the bits I have now I cant do it because the chassis is 84 and it needs to be pre 80's...
This is a real blessing in disguise, it made me think of the time when I played around with Range rovers.
They have a narrow chassis that runs strait front to back, no bottleneck at the front, reg with V8 and have a great 4 link suspension setup and they were made in the 70's and they are only 100 inch wheel base...
And guess what....Its doable with this setup but only until next year as the laws will be changing so ebay here i come...lol
Would also be interested in getting an engineers opinion on ths as there is little modification of the chassis apart from fitting a mitsubishi L300 front end or HR holden and moving the rear radius arm mounts up higher in the rear to get the stance right....

Oh yeah there isnt a pre 48 thing it just has to be 25 years and over... maybe there was years ago but not at the moment and it will be changing next year.... out

PV_Mark
I can do it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics now in my album
http://www.morrisdownunder.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=89

Kustombruce
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work with the B pillar to get the 2 Door edge right.

you could always extend a LCV chassis for the extra length, save the whole Rangie/ Hy lux idea for anpther project.

Bruce

PV_Mark
I can do it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think of that and still am contemplating it. I really do want to put the V8 in it though and I dont think it would be safe on original chassis withough alot of work thats prob compareable to a chassis swap with less benifits

bigcarle
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw on ebay about 18 months ago a morris LCV V8 project. dont know if it was legal but it had a rover V8 mounted behind the cab (they took the chassis hoop out) and a transaxle behind it. the back axle line was several inches further back than standard but still fitted in the hump for the diff anyway. looked like the motor would hide under a slightly raised floor and would be a fairly neat install

PV_Mark
I can do it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... would have been interesting to see... The wheel base must have been streched right out cause there isnt that much room from the back of the seats to the centre of rear wheels....
People are always thinking tho.... I love that kind of thing

Scouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think it had a reversed VW gearbox/axle assy so the engine might have fitted OK. It was a Rover V8 from memory.

bigcarle
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep a 3.5 rover couldn't remember what gearbox wheather VW or subaru, and no the chassis wasn't stretched thats why the rear axle was around 3inches off the chassis centre hump for the diff otherwise plenty of promise Very Happy

PV_Mark
I can do it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its back to it today.... waiting on a suitable chassis but have plenty of bodywork to do even though it going to be a kinda rat rod style... I say kinda cause I will paint the whole thing and put signs on it then distress it with acid sandpaper and heat guns to make it look 50 years old...

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PV_Mark wrote:
Oh yeah there isnt a pre 48 thing it just has to be 25 years and over... maybe there was years ago but not at the moment and it will be changing next year.... out
So, if it's a 25 year & over rule, why doesn't the Hilux/Morry combination qualify? You said the chassis was from an '84 model.

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I still have doubts but guess I will leave it to the experts! I have re-read the street rod manual building code and it clearly states that the vehicle must be pre 49 and built on a chassis. It does allow for the carry over of body shapes,that is to say,a morris body pre 49 is basically the exact same as a morris body post 49 so would be allowable and as I type I have just realised that you are building a van arent you and as they came with a chassis you possibly do qualify but the regs I read also say that it has to be an original chassis or aftermarket to the same or similiar design and I cant find any reference to a 25 year rule.Anyway,good luck and as I assume your in the hands of a good engineer,hope it all goes well.

PV_Mark
I can do it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse: your guess is as good as mine... Im only going by what Con at ASRF has told me and he is the guy who inspects and allows or dissallows the vehicles for SR reg.... when I told him it was 84 chassis he said "OOOOOOOOOw mate that wont do..." then he just sat there looking at me.... so I said" what will do" , he said "pre 80 and I can do it for you..... "maybe its an emmission thing or something.... or maybe post 80 uses the wrong tensile bolts in the door hinge ...lol ...dont know....

Jimmy: I know I cant make arse or end of it... what Im being told and what I find on the net varies quite a bit.... anyway if I do what he says then he says no I will just have him killed.... lol

Mark

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PV_Mark wrote:
Im only going by what Con at ASRF has told me and he is the guy who inspects and allows or dissallows the vehicles for SR reg.... when I told him it was 84 chassis he said "OOOOOOOOOw mate that wont do..." then he just sat there looking at me.... so I said" what will do" , he said "pre 80 and I can do it for you..... "maybe its an emmission thing or something.... or maybe post 80 uses the wrong tensile bolts in the door hinge ...lol ...dont know....

Yes, it could be something as simple as that. Rules & regs are hard enough at the best of times. Good luck with the project anyway Very Happy .

frosty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PV_Mark wrote:
...that wont do..." then he just sat there looking at me.... so I said" what will do" , he said "pre 80 and I can do it for you..... "anyway if I do what he says then he says no I will just have him killed.... lol

Mark

Go find yourself a Datsun / Nissan 720 ute chassis and take a tape ... will be a tad wide but you can bring it in.

frosty
PS ...had a pic here somewhere of one but can't find it at the mo

Kustombruce
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark
you (and any other Victorians) might like to read the proposed changes to the VIC club permit scheme

http://www.aomc.asn.au/publications/Vic%20Car%20Club%20Brochure_WEB.pdf

From the Association of Motoring Clubs Inc web site:
NOTE. The VicRoads proposal is a draft and the following highlights are tentative and are subject to change.

In essence, the new scheme will replace the present scheme.

The scheme would be available to members of authorised clubs.

Each vehicle on the new scheme would have a new log book each year containing 90 numbered pages.

Up to 90 days of travel would be permitted per year per vehicle.

The log books would be issued annually by an authorised Club.

The vehicle may be used for ANY event other than commercial (hire or reward).

Each day the vehicle is used on the public roads an entry must be made on a new page BEFORE travel and signed by the driver.

A number of different trips may be made on any one day.

Each trip would be entered and signed off before travel.

There would be no need for any other notices, vouchers or authorisations to be carried.

The log book must be carried in the vehicle together with the permit documents at all times.

A new range of penalties for offences by the driver/owner consistent with fully registered vehicles will be introduced.

An appeal process for dispute of offences would be available.

The existing CH plates and numbers will be retained but additional numbers will be released.

It is probable that the current fee structure will be revised (increased?) for the new scheme.

Other fees may be applied eg. Log Book Fee and a fee for Number plates (currently free).

Other Issues to be addressed in the proposed scheme include treatment of modified and replica vehicles.

The date of implementation has not been specifically stated nor has a changeover process been determined.

So
if you have a good read of the docs it notes there are issues with modified vehicles using the Street rod scheme which are post 1949, I would be holding off with the build unless it fits VSB14 and is signed off by an engineer

Bruce

PV_Mark
I can do it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Im aware and have been told by ASRF thats pretty much how it operates now with the log book for 90 days out of the year allowable driving.. That proposal is what they will be changing it to (or similar) so NO post 69 chassis can be used under any vehicle without VASS approval... there will be alot of changes for the good and some for the not so good... depending on where you sit when you go to work...
But as far as I know I have to have this thing finished this year or it wont be doable...
Mark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: