Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

'57 Morris Minor New to GoldCoast
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: '57 Morris Minor New to GoldCoast Reply with quote

Hi All,

New member here and just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Jason and have acquired my father in laws Morris Minor.

Last week I went on a little adventure (not so much little as it involves a 1500km return road trip (750kms one way 465 miles). The reason for the trip was to go and collect a 1957 Morris Minor, that use to belong to my father in law. Sadly he passed away just before he got it on the road. The car is roadworthy and passed a pink slip the other day so there is not much to do on it other that appreicate all the work that has gone into it.

It was decided that instead of the Morri just sitting in the shed no being used, we would put it on club rego in qld and put it to good use. He would have not wanted it sitting there not being appreciated.

It was driven back from Murrurundi NSW to the Gold Coast QLD.

Anyway thought I would post up some photos of what I collected. The next post is some photos of the trip.

Enjoy,

Cheers,
Jason

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the car made the trip in one piece, all up the trip took about 11 hours and we traveled a total of 400 miles according to the speedometer in the Morris. We did encounter a few issues along the way but they were only "MINOR" (pardon the pun) Yellow Convertible

The trip down only took us around 7 hours and was a pretty good run as there were hardly any cars on the road. We arrived at the destination, where I met up with the mother in law to get the safety certificate of her that had already been pre arranged before I got down there. We then had to drive another half an hour to go and get the unregistered vehicle permit from the RTA ( Road Transport Authority). I had all the paper work expecting to have troubles getting the permit, but I just provided my drivers license and medicare card and paid $25 for the permit and it was all done. Usually dealing with Government departments is a nightmare but I was pleasantly surprised this time.

On the way down I organised to meet up with a fellow morrie owner (Eric) who helped restored the car and knew the ins and outs of what had been done, I knew most of what had gone on but it was good to get a refresher. Once done at the RTA I organised to meet with him and we went back to the shed to look around and check out the state of the morrie. The morris looked in great condition, all fluids were full and everything looked great. We started it up and looked over it all seemed ok however it had not been on a long run, only the little trips down and back from the mechanic to get a safety certificate. We started looking for parts that we would need for the car and Eric wanted to look for some bits and pieces for his car.

I showed my mate Liam (co driver) around the house and the sheds and he could not get over the amount of stuff that was cramped into the sheds and what contraptions my father in law made to get things done. Anyway we started going through boxes and found out that we could essentially put together a whole other car with all the parts that we came across. There is a spare shell that is there too.

As mentioned above I found out some information on the morrie and the story about the old shell. It was originally planned that the old shell was going to be restored however there was to much rust found in the body mostly in the floor pan. This did not bother father in law (Colin) as he would of fixed it all up and welded in new floor pans and such, but in the mean time Eric wanted to replace his engine with a more powerful datsun engine. So they found a complete shell with datsun engine that had not been finished they paid half each I think about $200. Colin then helped Eric with his engine conversion and Colin ended up with the good shell and Eric's old engine and gearbox. The engine is from an 1100 and the gear box had been restored about a month before being pulled out. Colin went to work on the shell and engine, with the help of Eric on some weekends. Colin removed the small amount of rust and painted the car and the end product is what you see in the first pictures of the post.

After all the stories and checking over the car Eric went home and we organised to meet up with him on the way back and give him a run in the car and take some photos. Whilst checking the car we noticed that the rubber hose between the fuel filler and the main tank was very deteriorated, we looked for a new piece of hose and replaced it. The only thing was to fill the tank which we decided to do tomorrow when we were leaving. It had about 1/4 of a tank. The mother in law feed us a great dinner and we pretty much went straight to bed in preparation for the next day.

Well the big day was here, we checked over the morrie once again to make sure that there was no fluid leaks. So we set off about 8 in the morning, we warmed up the car and set off to the nearest service station about 500m up the road. We filled the tank making sure that there was no leaks around the new hose that we had replaced. However upon paying and looking underneath the car there was a fuel leak, it was coming out of where the fuel line went into the tank. So we rushed back home and drained the tank and looked where the line was going into the tank. We ended up finding some epoxy ribbon and plugged the leak and it was all good.

Attempt number two was more successful and we set off to meet up with Eric by this time we were already half an hour late. The Morrie had it first major challenge whilst on the road, Nolan's Gap! It is essentially a gradual hill that climbs for at least a couple of kms. If the Morrie got over this then we looked good for all the other hills that lay ahead. The Morrie took Nolans gap in its stride and powered easily over it. The first major challenge was over and I was quiet chuffed that we made it over easily. We meet up with Eric and took some shots of both cars.

Here are a few pics of the meetup.

Pulled up behind Eric! Who was waiting patiently for us.

Cruising Along!

Bit Early for the pub! As we still had over 350miles to go.

Eric drove my morrie and I drive his. Lots of differences between the two. For sure

Eric and I departing at Tamworth

Eric after driving the Morrie said it would easily make it and we shouldn't have any troubles. He was right. The Morrie made it over Moonbie another big range just north of Tamworth without any problems unlike the few mokes that we passed that had overheated. It did hesitate a few times trying to overtake a caravan but I just backed off slightly and it powered along.

We stopped at Armidale to check the car over and give it a well deserved rest, we noticed that the gaskets on the inspection plates on the side of the engine was slowly leaking oil. We just kept an eye on it through the next couple of towns and it was only a dribble so we topped up the oil and kept going. We stopped for lunch at Glenn Innes and topped the oil up again the leak hadn't gotten any worse.

We travelled on and made it to the QLD Border. The Morrie kept on taking everything in its stride and didn't have any problems.

Co Driver Liam crossing over QLD Border.

It started to get dark around 6ish, all the big trucks started to come out and play. All lights worked on the Morrie which was good, however I didn't find the light switch for the speedo until we were cruising on the motorways home. Probably about an hour left on the journey.

All in all we had an excellent trip and I must say that the Morrie was a pleasure to drive, and the issues that we did have made the experience much more enjoyable.

Summary of the trip
400 Miles just over 11 hours.
Fuel Consumption in terms of filling up
25L Murrurundi
25L Glenn Innes
25L Warwick
and the Morrie still has over half a tank left in it sitting at home.

Things to fix,
Fuel line into fuel tank
Oil Leaks engine mainly gaskets,
squeak coming from front wheels. Not sure what it is only happened when we got home. Only when we start to take off.

Also needs a good wash and polish due to exploded insect guts covering the front of the car.

These will keep my busy, for a while.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks,
Jason

Bo grainger
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: your morry Reply with quote

Jason what a great story and with pictures to, welcome to the world of little english cars there are a few of us here on the coast so if you wish to catch up for weekend drives let me know the feeling you get from these cars is second to none good time ahead
regards Bo

grant69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, great story and looks like your F inlaws will be well used. I can recommend joining your local morris minor club, for the runs and information and help they provide, there is a link on here at the top bar to the QLD Club

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

Welcome to this forum as well, is that your 24/80 in the background of one of the pics? Hopefully mine will be going this weekend. I have had a Minor in the past and the boss thought it was time I got another car, hence the Wolseley

Cheers, Paul

Monk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, thanks for sharing and great that your father in law's car will be appreciated. Join a MM club and you'll get heaps of support, can tap into unequalled knowledge and fellowship.

Since the car goes so well over distances you could even consider coming down to the Southern Highlands for the national rally next Easter!!

Whatever you choose, have fun!

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: your morry Reply with quote

Bo grainger wrote:
Jason what a great story and with pictures to, welcome to the world of little english cars there are a few of us here on the coast so if you wish to catch up for weekend drives let me know the feeling you get from these cars is second to none good time ahead
regards Bo

Thanks Bo, they are great little cars and I was very impressed with how it went. Will let you know when it is on the road, I am going to get it registered under club rego very soon.

grant69 wrote:
Welcome, great story and looks like your F inlaws will be well used. I can recommend joining your local morris minor club, for the runs and information and help they provide, there is a link on here at the top bar to the QLD Club

Thanks for the welcome, I was looking at joining the club as there is always a wealth of information to be had and found on club runs. I am already a member of the Wolseley Club of QLD and I have already meet a great number of people through the club.

PaulM wrote:
Welcome to this forum as well, is that your 24/80 in the background of one of the pics? Hopefully mine will be going this weekend. I have had a Minor in the past and the boss thought it was time I got another car, hence the Wolseley

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the welcome. That is not a 24/80 in the background but an Austin Freeway (almost identical to the 24/80). It is currently undergoing a restoration, although it is slow progress. There is a thread on the Wolseley forum about it with pics. Do you still have your Minor?

Monk wrote:
Great story, thanks for sharing and great that your father in law's car will be appreciated. Join a MM club and you'll get heaps of support, can tap into unequalled knowledge and fellowship.

Since the car goes so well over distances you could even consider coming down to the Southern Highlands for the national rally next Easter!!

Thanks Monk, Eric told me to join a MM Club as he is part of the NSW Mob. As for the National Rally, I am not sure if I will make it as the Wolseley Club Rally is on the week before. But will definately see how things pan out.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and hope that I meet a few of you down the track.

Cheers,
Jason

LRS
At rest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Morry Reply with quote

Hi, Jason
Welcome aboard, what a great story and so nicely written. I am sure your father in law would be very proud of you, knowing it didn’t get squashed for scrap or sold for a song to some bimbo that would trash it. Well done.

You will get all the support and help you need via the forum.

Happy times in your new Morry.

As Monk suggested try and drive it to the Nationals at Easter.

Leigh.

bigcarle
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke on here is a fellow Gold Coaster with a Morrie

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Morries look even cuter when there is 2 of them in tandam.

Loved the storyline too, it made very interesting reading.

Best regards
Nancy

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LRS wrote:
Hi, Jason
Welcome aboard, what a great story and so nicely written. I am sure your father in law would be very proud of you, knowing it didn’t get squashed for scrap or sold for a song to some bimbo that would trash it. Well done.

You will get all the support and help you need via the forum.

Happy times in your new Morry.

As Monk suggested try and drive it to the Nationals at Easter.

Leigh.

Thanks Leigh, he would be so happy that it is getting driven and worked on. As mentioend I will try and get to the Nationals as it does look like a bunch of fun. It is great to see all the Morrie's in one place. I have seen a few All british days both here and in sydney and there is always a decent turn out of Morrie's. So the Nationals would be great.

bigcarle wrote:
Luke on here is a fellow Gold Coaster with a Morrie

Thanks bigcarle, will keep and eye out. I have seen a few morries about but the one that I see most often is a Morrie Woody around the oxenford area.

Nancy wrote:
Don't Morries look even cuter when there is 2 of them in tandam.

Loved the storyline too, it made very interesting reading.

Best regards
Nancy

Thanks Nancy, yes it was great to tail another Morrie for some of the journey and was even more interesting driving a datsun powered morrie! I see why guys do the conversions.

Well the weekend is near and I will be working on the Morrie giving it a good polish and fixing the fuel and oil leaks. So hopefully I can get a QLD safety certificate and get it on club rego. Will post up some more photos of the progress.

Cheers,
Jason

tonyb
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason and welcome to the group.
I am down at Kingscliff just over the border from you so send a PM if you ever head down that way.
Good luck with the car

tonyb

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyb wrote:
Hi Jason and welcome to the group.
I am down at Kingscliff just over the border from you so send a PM if you ever head down that way.
Good luck with the car

tonyb

Thanks Tony, will shoot you a PM for sure when I am heading down that way.

Well I organised to get a QLD Safety certificate today through one of the mobile guys, booked it in yesterday and said it was for a 57 Morris Minor is that a hassle? that's not a hassle the guy said.

The mechanic rocked up today and said he couldn't do it. He told me that cars of this era need to be checked over on a hoist, and I need to take it to an Approved Inspection Station. He did check over the car for no cost and pointed out a few things that I could be picked up on. He did comment that it looks great and that there are not many of these going around anymore.

I sort of agree with the guy that came out and had a look, he told me that they should of told me this yesterday on the phone. I told him that I asked if it was a hassle yesterday when booking it in, and they siad it was no hassle, the mechanic basically told me that they are only designed for newer cars would of been great to find this out yesterday.

So now I have to organise another pass to get the certificate done.

cheers,
Jason

Lukezaid
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give dad a call latter today had a mobile guy check his colt and found no issues and was pretty exited to see my minor parked in the garage so he may be a little better??? I shall get his number and forward it to you.

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate! That would be great.

Cheers,
Jason

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Morrie has now officially got a QLD Safety Certificate, I am just waiting for the dating officer to get back to me and then it can be registered under club rego. Woohoo!

I may have to look at getting new tyres fitted some time next year, I have had a search and have come across the problems involved with changing the tyres and the problems with only set sizes that legally can be fitted to 3" rims. The best I can find is the Nankang 155/80 x 14 to replace the older ones.

I have read that the rims can be replaced with Major rims that are wider. I would like to keep it looking as orginal as possible. Is the only change in fitting these the width of the rim?

Thanks,
Jason

amaroo
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wheels have been changedb to Major rims simply fit. no problems

dazle
overdrive

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jason. Great story which I have enjoyed reading. I am on the Gold Coast at Guanaba and visit Happy Days Diner on the Oxenford Tamborine Road some weekends. I am sure you will enjoy your
Morry. Mine is standard so a bit slow on the road. Maybe we can meet up some time? Very Happy

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaroo wrote:
My wheels have been changedb to Major rims simply fit. no problems

Thanks for the information Amaroo, I figured that they would fit no problems.

dazle wrote:
Welcome Jason. Great story which I have enjoyed reading. I am on the Gold Coast at Guanaba and visit Happy Days Diner on the Oxenford Tamborine Road some weekends. I am sure you will enjoy your
Morry. Mine is standard so a bit slow on the road. Maybe we can meet up some time? Very Happy

Thanks Dazle, glad you enjoyed the story. I could of added more information and detail on the trip north of Tamworth (crazy commodore p plater trying to outrun the police, the crazy lady not being able to use the overtaking lanes correctly and nearly taking the morrie out) but didn't want to bore folk too much being a new member and all.

Guanaba and Happy Days Diner is only around the corner from my place, I am surprised that I haven't seen your Morris around before. We should organise a meetup one weekend. I am keen to see what other Morriest's (if that is such a word) have done to there cars. Hopefully I will see you around soon.

Are you a member of the MCCQ? probably a silly question I know.

As the debut run, I am trying to see if I can get along to the XMAS run and hand the MCCQ forms in then but not sure if that will happen due to other family commitments.

Will see you around dazle,

Cheers,
Jason

dazle
overdrive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason, so you are just around the corner from Happy Days Diner?
I only got my morry in July and registered it mid September so haven't been around much. Plus been having a few health problems. I managed to get to Ormiston on the 21st Sept which was a fun day. I met up with Bo who kindly led the way in his great little A30 for which I was so grateful.
No I am not a member of the MCCQ club as yet. Someone suggested that I look around and see which one I preferred before joining. I just wish we had one here on the coast. My morry being standard is a bit slow on the road and I am hesitant to take it on long runs and in heavy traffic.

I have taken out full rego on it so I am not restricted to strict club rego conditions hence I am happy going to the diner and putting around Guanaba.

Maybe we could meet up one weekend before Christmas and I could hear first hand all about your trip up? This weekend is out as have to go to Brisbane however, the following Sunday is clear either morning or arvo.
Bo is a hec of a nice bloke he maybe interested in joining us, Cheers Very Happy

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazle, I am over by the Lost City so not far away at all.

I have read your thread and looked at the pictures, very nice looking car. Sounds as though you are very happy with it and putting it too good use when you can.

I will check my calendar as I think the wife has plans for that weekend but will get back to you.

Would be good to meet a few other members too.

Cheers,
Jason

dazle
overdrive

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jason, no worries we can always leave it to the new year if you like as Christmas is fast approaching as we all seem to have something to do in December, including Christmas Shopping.
Cheers mate. Catch up when we can. Very Happy

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The morrie trying out the new plates!

I finally managed to get all the appropriate documentation to get the morris registered yesterday.

Cheers,
Jason

frosty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats ... blinkers look ok too

dazle
overdrive

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Jason. I'm looking forward to seeing it parked alongside Felix! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: