Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Generator To Alternator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Generator To Alternator Reply with quote

I've been advised to change my generator to an alternator.

I've been looking around on the internet for alternators and trying to get an idea on pricesand ease of installation. Is an alternator from a Mini Minor or MG / Sprite okay to use ?? What should be the approximate price I should pay for an alternator ??

Would an auto electrician know about the changes to the wiring in the regulator box when fitting the alternator??

I know it's probably basic stuff to most people, but I just want to make sure before I take the leap in getting one.

Eye Rolls

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There is a guy on here Tony ? (Surname escapes me) who is located in Brisbane who sells them with wiring instructions and all the other stuff (EXCEPT bracket and belt). It is a Lucas 55 Amp and cost me $165 about 4 years ago. I got a bracket from a local wrecker off a late mini. I think BlakeandI gave me the contact details, try contacting him.

Cheers, Paul

*Pauls Edit: Found it http://www.miniownersclub.com.au/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&page=show_user&userid=199&Itemid=28

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cheap chinese "mini" one from a brisbane supplier, it was crap, I replaced it with a diahatsu charade 85 model, will bolt on to generator brackets with minor fuss

BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. Learning more all the time. I'll start making the enquiries.

I like the idea of having the wiring diagram with the alternator. Very Happy

frosty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Malcolm ~ there is a 'kit' you can get direct from ESM in the UK

If I were to buy this direct it will cost me $A223 delivered to my door.

if I was silly enough to purchase off the self proclaimed 'The Only Online Supplier For Your Morris Minor Parts in Australia' then it would cost in excess of $A318 ... (as the seller does not say that freight/delivery is included, you would obviously have to factor in $15 to $20 extra on top of that as well.

BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frosty. Another avenue to explore. Hadn't thought about the English suplliers. Very Happy

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture by Frosty looks a very good deal cos it includes brackets, loom and belt. Must ask if it fits on a blue streak six...........

BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Frosty. I've just placed an order with ESM for the alternator kit. Very Happy

Boeing Bob
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mal, when I rebuilt the van initially, I fitted one of those kits from ESM and was very pleased with it. The only trouble I had was that the regulator built into the alternator was a bit weak and only lasted about twelve months but was replaced with a heavier duty one by my local auto electrician and no more trouble was experienced. I think that they are worth every cent to save mucking about.

Bob.

BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I'll keep that in mind.

BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternator kit arrived this morning. ESM definitely don't muck around in their delivery. Took a week from the time I ordered it over the internet.

Also came with the installation / fitting instructions. Very Happy

I'll let everyone know when it's been installed.

Monk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the conversion on Blackie a while ago, with a little assistance. But very easy, it also enabled me to replace the old headlights with halogen inserts and (bonus) the modern music machine tucked discreetly under the dash now runs continuously. The old Moggy generator just couldn't provide enough power all the time to do it and I can see where I'm going a whole lot better (new glasses helped!).

Six days from the UK, including Easter, that's pretty slick!

BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Had The Alternator Fitted Yesterday.....Same Problem Remains Reply with quote

I had the new alternator from ESM fitted yesterday, however, the same problem remains when the generator was fitted, that is not enough power being put to the battery.

When the alternator had finally been installed, the multimeter showed that there was only 12.1 / 12.2 volts going to the battery, even less when the headlights were turned on. When the engine was turned off, the multimeter showed that the battery was 12.5 (holding it's correct level ??)

I was told that the new alternator is supposed to generate more power to the battery, around the 13 volt level, more than a generator does.

We even put a new battery in to see if my current battery may be the problem. But the same result.

On our club outing to Wellington a few weeks back, where this problem with the generator was initially detected, a tarnished regulator screw was not letting power to the battery and the regulator was also adjusted to give the correct output.

Do I need a new regulator ??

This outing was where it was recommended that I change from a generator to an alternator.

I'm at my wits end with this, so any suggestions from anyone is going to be a big help to me.

zabond
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have now fitted an alternator you don't need the orig regulator the new alt has prob got an in built reg,or a new reg would have come with the kit, the "bat" term on the alt goes direct to your + battery,you don't wire the new alt into your old reg[which I think you may have done]
Russ

Monk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Zabond said! There's a whole thread about it here: http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4585 and assuming you've changed from positive to negative earth, too.

frosty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+3

.... and make sure that no smoke leaks out of the system.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm as other have said you do not need the regulator who fitted the alternator ??
Perhaps a word to Club member Boeing Bob (Mr Gilliland.) On my update I left the regulator base only for looks .
From memory you join the first two cable together A1 and A, then join F and E. Terminal E the black cables are Negative and grounded i:e attached to the body.
The generator puts out 12.7 amps whereas most alternators put out 16 amps plus therefore keeping the battery up

BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

The mechanic at the local garage who also does auto electrical work. I'm not sure at this stage if the regulator is still connected in any way. I do know however that the alternator has been connected directed to the solenoid that sits above the battery.

So what I'm doing is to let everyone on the forum know what has happened, knowing full well with all the wealth of experience of the members out there, I can take all the replies back to him this afternoon, so that he can check the work that he has done.

So I am extremely thankful for everyone's tips and advice, believe me.

I really don't want to drag members out into the rain again (as in Wellington) to give me a push.

By the way, did you receive my email about the old morrie I spotted in an industrial yard in Dubbo the other week??

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photos show my conversion and wiring connections (I used this for testing prior to tidying it up). I also have the regulator wiring before I converted

[/img]

Hope these are of some use Malcolm

Regards, Paul

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternators have the regulator built in that is why you remove existing one.
To explain how I have done mine If you look at the 3rd photo of Paul's post you will see the letters I referred to .
I removed the regulator itself just leaving the base and cover, at the back I soldered a wire across terminals A 1 and A and again across F and D then I connected a wire on the back of D to the body.
This way after fitting the cap back on it looks original and the wires stay where they are. The alternator connects to the standard generator cablkes.,
Cheers

ps I am in Queensland at the moment heading for Cairns and letting someone have a look and see.

BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Have an enjoyable trip.

BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAHOO !!! All fixed. Very Happy

Drove the morrie into work this morning, and a colleague , a certified auto electrician who works in the office here at work who promptly fixed the problem.

What he discovered was that the alternator warning light lead was not connected to the warning light.

Put the multimeter on, and it shows 13.5 volts at idle and 14.4 volts under light acceleration.

So John Ballard , Monk, and Zabond were on the money !! Thank you very much to everyone's assistance on this.

I feel like I'm the guy in the Mens' Shed who just makes the coffee and teas. Embarassed

Monk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I'll fight you for the coffee pot! The only reason I tentatively put my oar in was because I did it myself last year. I am in awe of the body of knowledge among members on MDU. And Men's Sheds need good coffee makers too!

Great you got it sorted out!!

Cheers
David

Last edited by Monk on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BCH8OY
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is a great relief to know the problem is sorted, I can tell you.

It's these sort of "unknowns / mysteries" of cars that worry me when I'm driving. I almost feel at times that the Grim Reaper is waiting to strike and leave me stranded in in the middle of the road like a fish out of water.

Still I continue to keep learning from all these incidents.

But you're right about the wealth of knowledge on this forum. I always know my problems get worked out. That's why I keep asking. Very Happy

Thanks again everyone.

verdoro75
Got the keys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: How was the rear mounting bracket? Reply with quote

Hi Malcolm et al

Glad that you got it sorted. I recently did the same conversion using the ESM kit. I found that the rear mounting bracket caused the alternator to sit low at the back, and thus the alternator pulley was not aligned with the water pump pulley. The result of this has been 2 worn out fan belts and lots of squealing (from the car not me).

I re-drilled (slotted) the bracket to allow the rear of the alternator to sit higher and this has solved the issue. I have a friend about to undertake the same conversion but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has had the same problem with this ESM kit?

Regards,

Clive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: