Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Indicator flasher/relay unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noel_T
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Indicator flasher/relay unit Reply with quote

I have a 54 split screen ute that I play with. The indicators have never worked reliably and I got tired of holding my tongue just so while thinking indicator thoughts in order for them to work.

On investigation I found:
1. The indicator switch is the type that is mounted on the steering column. The horn is operated by pressing the stalk towards the base of the switch. It has an indicator lamp mounted in the body of the switch close to the point where the stalk enters the base.
2. It has been fitted with a 'clicker' unit inserted into the green wire that feeds the indicator switch.

I checked the wiring diagrams in the Minor workshop manual and cannot determine which diagram reflects my car. The car is not fitted with semaphore indicators nor does it have a center console. I cannot find an 8 terminal indicator relay unit so assume that if it was ever fitted it has been replaced by the clicker unit.

My questions:
1. Where is the indicator relay unit normally found when installed?
2. Which wiring diagram in the workshop manual would reflect a 54 split screen ute that does not have semaphores?

Noel

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you realise that Morris Minor never had indicators till 1964 in series 5 Model 1000.
Yours would have been originally fitted with trafficator arms. If they are not there then they have been removed.
You can use the trafficator switch for an indicator switch fitting a neon on the dash, perhaps yours was previously upgraded.

Noel_T
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Yes I thought that may have been the case. I guess in its rebuild the semaphores were filled in. The bump in the B pillar is there but no evidence of it being previously used (a good rebuild). The clicker previously used was of American origin and it was fitted into a Bakelite socket that I think may have been a 3 pin headlight socket in another life. Anyway as it looks like the clicker is dead and the indicator stalk assembly is still working OK I will get another clicker from the autoshop and make it work.

Noel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: