Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Fuel gauge reading empty.. But the tank is full..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam.H
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Fuel gauge reading empty.. But the tank is full.. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I seem to have an issue with my fuel gauge. When I switch on my ignition, it bumps a little bit but then drops to the empty end - even though I know the tank is full to its capacity. I have checked the wiring at the back of the gauge - Green & Green/black wires going to the correct sides. And its simple single wire to the tank end is connected too.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be that the gauge has gone at either end? Is it a simple - replace the gauge/s type thing or could it be something more??

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Adam Yellow Woody

Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one else is responding....

It could be the sender unit too. Not sure which way around it is, but it works on a resister. If empty is full resistance on the sender unit, then full is no resistance. If something is broken on the sender, and current not getting through to measure the resistance, then it would always show empty. If you have a multimeter, check to see what resistance there is on the sender wire.

zabond
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't have a multimeter remove the wire from the sender unit and connect it to earth, turn on the ign and if the gauge goes to full then you have a sender problem, if it still shows empty its the gauge or faulty wire from the sender

Adam.H
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zabond wrote:
if you don't have a multimeter remove the wire from the sender unit and connect it to earth, turn on the ign and if the gauge goes to full then you have a sender problem, if it still shows empty its the gauge or faulty wire from the sender

AWESOME.. Thanks Matty B and Zabond..
Unfortunately I don't have a Multimetre, just a power tester metre. (light on a stick).. Ha ..

I will be sure to check this on the weekend and post any progress..

Thanks heaps! Very Happy

Adam.H
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,
Well I have tried the previous mentioned tip - (Thanks again) But it is giving me 1/2 full on the fuel gauge. What should I make of that>>>? I'm thinking its not working as the wiring is set up correctly..

Thanks in advance.

zabond
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try earthing the sender terminal on the gauge with the wire that goes to the sender unit disconected,if it still only reads half then you have a gauge prob or its not getting 12v,if it goes to full you have a wire prob[corroded]somewhere or even a bad body earth
a cheap multimeter is a good friend
Russ

Adam.H
Got the keys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip again..
I pulled the sender unit out over the weekend. And it has locked up with what seemed to be deposits of hard grey chalk-like clay.

I checked it again once I got it all back together and back in the car. Now it seems to work - but its only giving me half a tank reading when the tank is full. As full as it could be with out flowing back up the filler pipe. I'm thinking it the gauge in my speedo. And will try to switch the wiring to see if that's the problem.

I also checked the main fuel line out of the tank. And have found
that it is pumping through, but its very weak. If I do up the connecting point tight - it cuts out the fuel entirely to the pump. I have checked the tank itself for rust & muck and its clear. I cant quite understand why it wont flow through...

Would this have happened to anyone else? Are there any ideas on how I could adjust it or fix this problem??

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the resistance of your fuel sender it should be 70ohms when full, anything less and your gauge will read under

Adam.H
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone..
I installed a new gauge on the tank and checked the wiring again.. Its all sorted out now. I think the gauge at the tank had died. The replacement one was from a newer car - and is now working beautifully..

Thanks once again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: