Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Black face speedo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Black face speedo Reply with quote

I have fitted a black face speedo and finally have the fuel gauge working accurately by fitting and adjusting the new tank sender. However I feel the speedo is about 10klm/hr. out at 90klm/hr.( dual reading speedo) this of course is due to the 3.9 diff and Sprite gearbox.
So where in Sydney can I get it recalibrated.

Bally
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
I believe Premier Instruments in Canberra may be able to help. Their phone no. is 0412 484 385.
Bob

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Black face spe Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:
I have fitted a black face speedo and finally have the fuel gauge working accurately by fitting and adjusting the new tank sender. However I feel the speedo is about 10klm/hr. out at 90klm/hr.( dual reading speedo) this of course is due to the 3.9 diff and Sprite gearbox.
So where in Sydney can I get it recalibrated.

If it's reading high, I'd regard it as a licence saver. I don't know about there, but here, you will get fined and lose points if the speed camera says you're only 1km/hr over the limit so regardless of driving habits, anything that keeps you safe is welcome in my world.

Ron Mizi
4th gear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this mob in Penrith called Attspeed specializing in vintage stuff

Ph 02 9833 0055
I am in the spot as you, how do you find the 3.9 diff behind the 1098 compared to going the five speed.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I have contacted them and just received a reply. I think I did not present my problem right.
Travelling to my sons wedding the two way radio from my wife kept telling me I was fast. So speedo reading 10klms fast showing 60 at 70 klms/hr
a bit faster at 80 nearly 95.

Bally
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
I had a Tom Tom GPS which I was using for speed indication. It clagged out and I will be purchasing a GPS speed indicator from Jaycar for just under $100. Nice and compact but most of all accurate. You may wish to consider this as a recalibration is usually in the order of $200 minimum.
Bob

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:
thanks I have contacted them and just received a reply. I think I did not present my problem right.
Travelling to my sons wedding the two way radio from my wife kept telling me I was fast. So speedo reading 10klms fast showing 60 at 70 klms/hr
a bit faster at 80 nearly 95.

Oops, you don't want it that way around, unless you put texta marks on the glass of the speedo which always looks soooooooo classy Eye Rolls

DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

What is the TPM figure on the face of your speedo.

Monk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my car to Premier Instruments in Canberra, three times, paid them a heap of cash and gave up. They didn't fix it. I would like to say they fixed it because they're reasonable people but in the end they just didn't. I reckon I gave them a fair go.

I use a GPS to keep track of the speed. I understand there's a mob in Brisbane who recondition speedos.

Cheers,

David

frosty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Ute

Quote:
I understand there's a mob in Brisbane who recondition speedos.

Yep there is.

http://www.ottoinstruments.com.au/

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frosty I did send my temp gauge to Otto after the Brisbane nationals they had an ad in the programme, it is still working.
I have now contacted Manly Instruments one Jason Badstock they did my white speedo back in 2000.
You simply mark out 20 meters and drive the car exactly 20meters ( I put a pair of sticks up on my driveway) whilst a passenger counts the turns of the square end of the speedo drive which you have disconnected from back.
If my memory is right you get around 20 turns but important to be exact like 19 and 3/4 turns etc. passing this reading on for calibrations.

Don what is that on my speedo??? Embarassed

DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
The TPM figure is a number printed on the face of the speedo that states how many Turns Per Mile the speedo is calibrated for at the factory. Yours is probably 1408 which Minors were fitted with after 1962 (in the UK and NZ). If the primary speed figures are km/h, the TPKm is probably 800.

You can substitute the mechanism from another Smiths speedo with a different TPM to get the calibration correct without mucking around with the internals of your existing one (which is a very tricky job to get right). The Minor speedo is essentially the same as many other models (such as Mini speedos) which gives us a range of different TPMs to choose from.

DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

Have you considered getting one of these? (or similar)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PLUG-PLAY-HEAD-UP-DISPLAY-HUD-INTERNAL-GPS-12-VOLT-DIGITAL-LED-SPEED-WARNING-/182179926286?hash=item2a6ac5110e:g:IpIAAOSwnNBXahMu

This type does not depend on a linkage to your car's electronics like most on the market, so will work with your Minor or any car.

Jaycar sells one that is direct reading (does notwork by reflecting on the windscreen) and Repco has a special on a reflecting type for the next couple of weeks.

Most of these gizmos also allow you to set speed alarms. I have a couple of different models that I am pleased with.

Some would say why not just use a GPS navigator. The answer is that I have found that most of them have a tiny current speed display. It is dangerous searching for the speed on them. The type of speed indicator I am referring to above has a big display that you can place close to your line of sight.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ii have a club run on Saturday to Parkes Swap meet and borrowed a GPS Tom tom.
Tried it today in my old ute found the speed very hard to read but I just want to see my actual speed. Wife is coming to Parkes
My speedo is going down to Manly Instruments for a calabration before Christmas.
All he needs is the number of times the cable turns in a 20 meter run.
I had my white speeo done here when I first built the car, what I did was dive two stakes along my driveway 20 meters apart then with the cable hanging out and one flat of square end painted white I got some one to count as I drove the exact 20 meters.
My Courier ute was 3 klms fast at 80-90-and 100 klms/hr

Bally
At rest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
Here is a link to the Jaycar GPS speed indicator.
Bob
https://www.jaycar.com.au/lcd-gps-speedometer/p/LA9025

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: