Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

54 Morris Ute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: 54 Morris Ute Reply with quote

This is my 54 Morris Ute has a 948 in it. Believe that it was owned by globe batteries previously so if anyone has any details on it that would be great. Can't wait to get it on the road
Cheers

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Ute

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking ute but totally illegal on H plates, what ever Club issued them could be in a lot of trouble.
Did you know there is a Morris Minor Club NSW Mid North Coast branch.
Co Coordinator at Kempsey.
cheers

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ex Martin from Globe Batteries in Sydney. The stainless body was built to carry batteries but it never made it onto the road for that job.

I don't know which club issued the H plates, it was sold unregistered when Martin closed the business & the next I saw it was advertised in a Sydney car yard with the H plates on it.

As John says, not quite in the spirit of the H plate scheme but I've seen far worse floating about.

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
Yes, ex Martin from Globe Batteries in Sydney. The stainless body was built to carry batteries but it never made it onto the road for that job.

I don't know which club issued the H plates, it was sold unregistered when Martin closed the business & the next I saw it was advertised in a Sydney car yard with the H plates on it.

As John says, not quite in the spirit of the H plate scheme but I've seen far worse floating about.

Ahh awesome thought it must have been globe batteries going by the globe batteries stickers under the bonnet, any other info on it or what he had done to it? I tried to contact him but couldn't get a number that worked.

So what makes it so illegal on H plates? The tray, side pipes? So wouldn't be possible to get it put on H plates then? Unless I get a leanient club?

I felt bad taking the stainless tool box part off because of the amount of work that had gone into it but I think a flat timber tray inset into the stainless will look mint.

Should be a fun little Ute when done.

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice looking ute

wow
Kel

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H plates are designed for standard cars, some period modifications are allowed. There are plates for modified cars now but you might need an engineer to sign off on your wheels if the Blue Slip examiner doesn't like them.

Globe Batteries closed down a year or so ago, I don't know Martin's surname so I'm not able to give you any other details I'm afraid.

I'm sure that ute had the floors replaced in the aim of getting it back onto the road but it never eventuated. I'm glad to see that it'll be used again.

He had a few cars 90% done but they all just resided in his battery shop & seemed to be rolled out for publicity purposes as his main shop was on a busy road.

**It appears the business was owned by Martin & Kerryn Taylor
http://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?abn=62053737582

Martin Taylor might be hard to track down but Kerryn is on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/kerryn.taylor.35?ref=br_rs

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kel wrote:
That is a nice looking ute

wow
Kel

Thanks can't wait to get it on the road, I've come from owning a Kombi so it's a bit of a change.

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
H plates are designed for standard cars, some period modifications are allowed. There are plates for modified cars now but you might need an engineer to sign off on your wheels if the Blue Slip examiner doesn't like them.

Globe Batteries closed down a year or so ago, I don't know Martin's surname so I'm not able to give you any other details I'm afraid.

I'm sure that ute had the floors replaced in the aim of getting it back onto the road but it never eventuated. I'm glad to see that it'll be used again.

He had a few cars 90% done but they all just resided in his battery shop & seemed to be rolled out for publicity purposes as his main shop was on a busy road.

**It appears the business was owned by Martin & Kerryn Taylor
http://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?abn=62053737582

Martin Taylor might be hard to track down but Kerryn is on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/kerryn.taylor.35?ref=br_rs

Hopefully I can get a friendly blue slipper.

Yeah floors have been changed which is a good thing.

Yeah I found their full names but couldn't track down a number, cheers for that link on Facebook might be a way to get in contact if I need to find out anything.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful what you do re registration, H plates are for STANDARD cars and issued by the Club you are in.
No Club no rego and more importantly no insurance.
Modified plates called D plates are also up to the Club you are in and both have restrictions on them.Bottom line is if you are driving the ute and are outside the Clubs or the plates restrictions you are driving an unregistered car, and hence the insurance is also invalid.
And a vehicle like that will catch a lot of "eyes"
Main reason mine is on full rego I use it where and when I want to.

Ron Mizi
4th gear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John is quite right in what he says, to get any modified car registered in NSW it has to have a VSB14 certification done by an approved RMS engineer. To give an idea how thorough they are it took two hours to do both of mine so it's not a simple walk in walk out, my advice would be to take it to an engineer before you spend any more money on it to find out what it needs doing, they are obliging to help.

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Mizi wrote:
John is quite right in what he says, to get any modified car registered in NSW it has to have a VSB14 certification done by an approved RMS engineer. To give an idea how thorough they are it took two hours to do both of mine so it's not a simple walk in walk out, my advice would be to take it to an engineer before you spend any more money on it to find out what it needs doing, they are obliging to help.

Okay than thanks, so you don't think the tray would pass a blueslip because it's not standard? I've seen heaps of minor Utes with modified trays with no engineers and on full rego.

Cheers

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes an engineer will probably pass your Ute for registration, but a Car Club would not have it on H plates might not even pass D plates (for modified cars)
H plates belong to a car/person with a Clubs consent and H registration cannot be transferred . Once the vehicle is sold it is then de-registered,
Lots of info on the RMS site

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:
Yes an engineer will probably pass your Ute for registration, but a Car Club would not have it on H plates might not even pass D plates (for modified cars)
H plates belong to a car/person with a Clubs consent and H registration cannot be transferred . Once the vehicle is sold it is then de-registered,
Lots of info on the RMS site

Thanks mate, I'll get it sorted. If I go to an engineer won't they want the ADR requirements of having a heater and 2 speed wipers?

Cheers for the assistance.

Scouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car is only running a 948cc engine & Morris Minor or Major drum brakes, then the only reason I can see that you need to get an engineer involved with is the big wheels.
Heater/demister & 2 speed wipers are needed for bigger engine conversions (over 20% increase) so you should be OK there.

If it has telescopic dampers at the font, they might need engineering but they might not even get noticed on a Blue Slip check.

The tray should be OK for a Blue Slip but it's not really suitable for the H plates as it doesn't look like it's 50 years old. Modified plates would be better IMO as they're the same cost & have the same restrictions as H plates.
There are a lot of cars on H plates which really shouldn't be. The CMC (Council of Motor Clubs) is giving these cars/clubs 12mths to get the suspect cars onto the modified scheme before clamping down.

If there's no other mechanical mods other than the slightly bigger engine, I'd be inclined to stick some smaller wheels on it & take it for a Blue Slip to see if it passes. Engineers are big $$ now.

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
If the car is only running a 948cc engine & Morris Minor or Major drum brakes, then the only reason I can see that you need to get an engineer involved with is the big wheels.
Heater/demister & 2 speed wipers are needed for bigger engine conversions (over 20% increase) so you should be OK there.

If it has telescopic dampers at the font, they might need engineering but they might not even get noticed on a Blue Slip check.

The tray should be OK for a Blue Slip but it's not really suitable for the H plates as it doesn't look like it's 50 years old. Modified plates would be better IMO as they're the same cost & have the same restrictions as H plates.
There are a lot of cars on H plates which really shouldn't be. The CMC (Council of Motor Clubs) is giving these cars/clubs 12mths to get the suspect cars onto the modified scheme before clamping down.

If there's no other mechanical mods other than the slightly bigger engine, I'd be inclined to stick some smaller wheels on it & take it for a Blue Slip to see if it passes. Engineers are big $$ now.

Great thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm just thinking of taking it for a blue slip and see what happens I can always make my decision on where to go from there. Yeah was trying to avoid having to go to an engineer (unless I put a 1275 in it of course)

Cheers

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update on the old girl.

Timber tray in and looking good.

The 948 blew so now time for another engine, thinking Datsun, what costing for engineering the Datsun setup have people found?

frosty

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

54morris wrote:

The 948 blew so now time for another engine, thinking Datsun, what costing for engineering the Datsun setup have people found.

See what you can find first .... a decent datto motor and box are getting thin on the ground. You also need to have a think about diff setup as well. Find what you can find first before you hit the engineers. ~ lots of ways to go

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frosty wrote:
54morris wrote:

The 948 blew so now time for another engine, thinking Datsun, what costing for engineering the Datsun setup have people found.

See what you can find first .... a decent datto motor and box are getting thin on the ground. You also need to have a think about diff setup as well. Find what you can find first before you hit the engineers. ~ lots of ways to go

Can get a good 1200 with gearbox and kit to put in the Morris (tailshaft, mounts, etc)

Called an engineer and he reckons $1700 in engineer cost alone.

Binda Blues
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we have an update on how your Ute / engineering / rego are going?
Thanks
Tony Yellow Ute

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binda Blues wrote:
Can we have an update on how your Ute / engineering / rego are going?
Thanks
Tony Yellow Ute

Hi Tony,

The Morrie is getting there, ended up having to change the engine as the old one lost all power driving up the driveway one day. So ive got it going for now, ended up not putting a datsun engine in as engineering was going to cost too much. Have been sorting little bits and pieces to get it ready for rego.

On another note, i dont want to risk blowing an axle with the wide rims, ive been told the morris major elite diff and axles are much stronger and fit straight in, anyone know of one forsale and what the ratio is.

Thanks

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morris Major diffs will bolt straight into a Minor being the same width, the advantage being the ratio of 4,22 to 1 and has the finer splines giving more drive strength. Remember the Major has a much larger engine at 1600cc, also the major has larger rear brakes 8 inch where minors are 7 inch, and can also be fitted.
A forum member has a Major diff for sale.

54morris
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:
Morris Major diffs will bolt straight into a Minor being the same width, the advantage being the ratio of 4,22 to 1 and has the finer splines giving more drive strength. Remember the Major has a much larger engine at 1600cc, also the major has larger rear brakes 8 inch where minors are 7 inch, and can also be fitted.
A forum member has a Major diff for sale.

Ive currently got 4.22 diff except its the normal spline, the fine spline diff definitely sounds the option, especially if i want to do some mods in the future. Has this member got the fine spline major diff? If so how much?

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: