Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

indicators not flashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chopper
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: indicators not flashing Reply with quote

I am still rebuilding my ute and I have put in the wiring harness and everything seems to work ok. But when I turn on the indicators(left or right) they do not flash, they just stay on. Do I have to have the indicator relay box installed or is there another way if installing the flasher unit? The previous onwner has the wires connected together without it.

Thanks
chopper

Bruce
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that you have to have a flasher unit. It could be either the lucas DB10, which was designed to flash the front sidelights and the rear taillights or a 3 pin flasher unit which flashes seperate indicator lights. Now my van has both a DB10 and a flasher unit. This is because it has the optional amber flashes at the rear so the DB10 flashes sidelights and the 3 pin unit flashes the rear indicators.
If yours has the 3 pin flasher unit each pin has to be correctly wired and there are several different codes on these flasher units.
Could be an 'X' or a 'B' on one terminal. This connects to the battery wire which should be a dark green wire. The second terminal should be an 'L'. This should be a green/brown wire and connects to the flasher switch. The third terminal is marked 'P' and should be a light green wire which connects to the indicator warning light on the dash. If this flasher unit is not wired correctly the lights will come on and will not flash.
I assume you do not have a DB10 relay which is a square silver box with 8 terminals usually mounted on drivers side inner wing?????.
It is also worth checking that each lamp unit is earthed well
Bruce
Bruce

chopper
Got the keys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce. I do have the DB10 relay box but it’s not connected at the moment, I also have a 3-pin flasher. The indicator wires come from the steering wheel and connect into a terminal one for the left front and rear and one for right front and rear. I have separate indicators for both the front and rear. The green/brown wire that connects to L and then to flasher switch you don’t mean the indicator switch do you?

thanks
chopper

Bruce
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopper
If you have seperate flashers front and rear you can take the DB10 out as you dont need it. Which type of indicator switch do you have. The one with a green lamp on the end or the one which you push to activate the horn??
Yes the Green/brown should connect to the indicator switch. From the switch should be a green/red which connects to front and rear l/h lights and a green/white which connects to r/h lights and if you have the indicator switch with a green light on the end your light green wire from flasher unit should connect to this which then earths back through the steering column.
Of course I am assuming it is a new flasher unit!!!!! If it is an old one it is possible there is a fault in the flasher unit itself!!! Eye Rolls
Bruce

chopper
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, yes I went out and bouth a new flasher to make sure. I have the switch that has the push to activate horn on it as well. I'll try this out on the weekend.

thanks for your help
chopper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: