Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

2 speed wipers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnrmax
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: 2 speed wipers? Reply with quote

Could anyone tell me if there is a 2-speed wiper kit for a split screen morry? I have been looking around but seem to only find ones for 1965+. Is this true or will they fit a split screen as well? These along with many other things are a reqirement for fitting a 1400 datsun engine in a Morry in NSW.

Scouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no "kit" as such AFAIK.

The usual way is to fit a Marina wiper motor. You might have to modify the wiper bracket in the Series II though as the motor is slightly bigger.

To get the right sweep, you'll need to relocate the pin on the gear. There is a specific distance that it needs to be from the centre but I don't have the measurement handy.

Have a look at Moridat's 2 speed wipers here.
That might be another option for you.

oliver-morrisminor
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a MINI motor on my 1960 Morrie and swapped over the sweep cog between units. Also used a home made base plate to mount as only two of the three legs line up, but works great. Add a water spray and youv'e got the lot.

Oli

moridat
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Yellow Ute
just to let every one know yesterday i did the final bits to my 2speed wiper conversion on my 54 slit screen ute and ever thing work,s PERFECTLY.........YES even auto stop.
ill now have to put on paper and post it in the how to section.
MORIDAT..........

mnrmax
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that morris majors had 2 speed wipers. Is this true? I am still looking for a 2 speed wiper setup because I can't get it engineered without them. I have been quoted $150 for mini wiper motor and they are also difficult to find.

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a Morris Major with 2 speed wipers as standard.

Andrew
3rd gear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DR3 is a 2 speed wiper motor which was used on the Triumphs TR4A's amd a few others, It is almost idential to the DR3A wiper motor

tonynoosa
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: here b another Reply with quote

1968 and thereabouts Jag 3.8 S type used a Lucas 2 speed that bolts straight in ,,I know this as the bloke currently fixing the ute has one and has gone the other way and borrowed my ute one untill he get a spare to put back on the Jag...

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late mini, marina, morris 1100, 1500 & 1800 & probably others have the same 2 speed motor, but as has been said the wipe area is different, on the gear it has a deg stamped, like 90 100 110 130 that is the amount of sweep, i found the 110 deg spot on for my split screen, with it mounted under the dash on the passenger side with the original cable setup, they are ussually rubber mounted as they have power to them all the time, & are earthed switched on, I just mounted it solid & wired it with the normal switch power on (hope that makes sence Very Happy ) but the park wont work this way.
legaly you don't have to have 2 speed wipers in NSW but the wipers have to do so many wipes per min, that the original motor wont do.
Trev
Aus

philthomas
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legaly you don't have to have 2 speed wipers in NSW but the wipers have to do so many wipes per min, that the original motor wont do

Does this mean there may be an alternative single speed wiper motor that could do the job? This could possibly be an easier and less expensive alternative.
Trev - do you happen to know what speed (strokes per minute ?) is required to keep the engineer happy?

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi06.pdf

This is the guidelines for light vehicle modifications in NSW, this is what the engineers go by, but it is open to interpretation, so if they don't like something they just wont pass it.
Thr new rules were surpost to come in months ago, but still havent, the mods arnt changing much but the way the engineer has to do his job will change, the old system was he looked at your car & if he wasn't happy with something he said go away & fix that, the new system he has to write out a defect sheet for your vehicle & send it to the RTA, they are trying to stop you shoping around.
There are no easier way to fit better or 2 speed wipers than the mini etc as they are the only cable setup I know of the hotrodders luv em as they can shorten or modify them easily.
If your wippers do better than 45 cycles per min you dont need 2 speeds.
Trev
Aus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: