Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

REX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: REX Reply with quote

This is 'REX', he was completed in late March 2003 after a 2 year complete rebuild.

Below is a partial list of his details and modifications that were incorporated during the rebuild.

Make - Morris Minor 1000
Body - LCV
YOM - 1963 (cabin & rear doors)
YOM - 1961 (chassis & van back)
Engine - OHC
Cylinders - 4
Capacity - 1746cc
Fuel - PULP
Gearbox - 4 speed
Diff Ratio - 3.89:1
Front Brakes - Disc
Rear Brakes - Drum

Modifications:

 Leyland Marina 1746cc ‘E’ series engine (rebuilt with factory high compression pistons and fitted with twin 13/4” SU carburettor’s
 2” exhaust
 Leyland Marina 4 speed gearbox
 Leyland Marina differential and drum brakes
 Triumph 2500 tail shaft
 Leyland Marina front brake disc’s and suspension uprights
 Leyland Marina pedal box with master cylinder and booster
 Leyland Marina radiator
 Leyland Marina steering column
 Leyland Marina wiring harness and instruments
 Mitsibishi Cordia Turbo seats
 Valance panel below rear doors
 Leyland Marina 2 speed wipers
 6” x 15” performance ‘Superlite” wheels
 195 x 15 x 50 tyres
 Battery box fitted below rear floor
 Centre speedo hump removed
 Electric windows
 Fibreglass front bumper/spoiler
 Flared front guards
 Flat firewall
 Landrover rear stop/tail and indicator lights
 Late model large window rear doors

After being painted WRX Pro-Drive blue, I decided that an appropriate name would be REX.
REX is usally driven 7 days a week.
The only major problem that I have encountered was a blown head gasket on the way to the Adelaide National Rally (April 2003), so he did not make it to the rally, but instead had a stay in Hay (NSW) until returned to Canberra by the NRMA 15 days later.

Very Happy Blue Van Very Happy

frosty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Rex Reply with quote

2 Sheds
- was having a look through unanswered posts and came across the pic of your van ! looks great.. Very Happy . Was there any drama fitting the 2 speed wipers out of the marina and are the wiper arms still in the original positions ? Also what was the donor car for the electric windows?

Blue Ute
Frosty

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When fitting the wipers I decided to upgrade from the original "clapper" type type wipers to a traditional model style, with both blades wiping in the same direction. This proved more difficult than I first thought.

After first shortening the Marina arms to fit the new blade assemblies, I determined where the passenger side wheel box was to be mounted. Once this was done, I then shortened the drive cable and interconnecting tubes to suit. The wiper motor is mounted low down in the passenger side foot well (below the dash). This was done as I have replaced the firewall with a flat item and wanted to keep as much as possible out of the engine bay. The wipers do work well, as the Marina arms have strong springs to keep the blades on the windscreen, they do actually wipe the screen.

As for the electric windows, I used the motor assemblies and the switch controller from a 1996 Subaru Impreza. I pulled the original Minor widow winder apart and welded the mounting plate and the arm to the Impreza unit. This allowed for the unit to bolt back into the original position in the door. The controller is mounted under the dash near the drivers door, with rubber tubes from a Ford Falcon station wagon rear door used to carry the wiring from A pilar to the front of the doors. This also means that with the window winder does not stick into your knee while driving.

Blue Van
2sheds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: