Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Hazard lights and wiper issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Hazard lights and wiper issues Reply with quote

Hi All,

Couple of questions
1. Is there a simple off the shelf solution for hazard lights, or a switch from another car I can modify so I can have hazard lights? I will be honest here, I haven't looked at repco or supercheap yet.

2. Are the wipers on a 61 supposed to be self parking? I want to increase the swept area on the drivers side, is there a mod to the wiper motor or is it the easy solution of taking the arm off and rotating it a couple of splines so it cleans the important bit of my screen rather than the bottom inch or do. I have never pulled a wiper motor apart before

Any advice greatly appreciated
Cheers, Paul

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard lights and wiper issues Reply with quote

Paul M wrote:
Hi All,

Couple of questions
1. Is there a simple off the shelf solution for hazard lights, or a switch from another car I can modify so I can have hazard lights?

All the hazzards are is an on/off switch and a second flasher relay connected to all indicators i.e run in parallel with your normal circuit. If you need a circuit check out any late model haynes book

tonynoosa
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: hazard lights Reply with quote

Super cheep cheep sell plyers and any hardware will sell some wire ., Therefore you should be able to fix any problem on the side of the road and never need hazard lights.!!
under the seat of my ute is a $30 yellow flashing light just stick it on the dash turn it on and people will even slow down when they see it ..WORKS better than any all blinkers going at the same time.

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonynoosa said

Quote:
$30 yellow flashing light just stick it on the dash turn it on and people will even slow down when they see it

Ive found people slow down even more for a flashing BLUE light Very Happy

Seriously, I got caught without tools or a torch (fortunately I had spare points and rotor button), but as is usual it happened in a very busy and inconvenient place, hence the request for hazard light info. A big flashing yellow light sounds like a good idea though Tony

Cheers, Paul

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago you could by a kit to install hazards, it was a pull switch that incorporated everything, the knob flashed (carefull) when pulled Shocked you may be able to still get one from an auto parts or auto electrician they where easy to wire up, but where big an ugly, so I would fit it in the drivers side glove box, just make sure you wire it so you dont have to leave the ignition on, as obviously morrys dont have acceseries.
Trev
Aus
I have a switch under the dash that works like acceseries, when on it runs things like the radio, cb, etc. you dont have to have the ignition on, & when you flick it off, nothing runs off the battery when parked for a while.

gmrhodes
Got the keys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my steering column for one out of a Telstar and it has hazard lights set as part of the switch gear and wiring, not hard to wire up at all.

I had the opposite problem with my wipers, the sweep was too far, I could almost clean the screens of passing cars. I found that inside the wiper motor the drive wheel has an offset pin which gives the wipers the distance they will travel. What I did was remove the top plate, remove clip and pull off arm, to take out the drive wheel remove circlip from shaft underneath motor, withdraw the wheel upwards, turn upside down, drill out the offset pin from behind and drill another hole a few mm's closer too the centre, then reposition the pin and weld. This gave the wipers less travel and now the wipers only clean my windscreen.

The wider you make the pin from the centre the more sweep you get with the wipers and the closer to the centre you make the pin the less sweep you get with the wipers.

I don't have a picture handy of what I have done but if you need one I will try to draw one up and post it for you.

oliver-morrisminor
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Super Cheap at Browns Plains in QLD the other week and they had a after market Unibversal fit Blinker switch that incorpoprated
1) Blinkers
2) Head light dippers
3) Hazard switch
(4) I think maybe the horn too but I can't be sure, I'm getting old and forgetful)

All this for $29.95!! Amazing.

Many years ago I bought a hazard light switch from some sort of VW that had the relay built in, but I have not fitted it yet.

Also After market Hazard switches alone are VERY HARD to come by these days. I saked around alot before I bought my VW one.

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I will have a look at Oli's switch and also have a play with the wipers see what I come up with

Cheers, Paul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: