Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Wipers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Wipers Reply with quote

I have developed a problem with my wipers and would like some help and advice.
The wipers stop when vertical, then with a gentle touch they go again till vertical.
The drivers side wheel box behind the glove box seems loose compared to the passenger side. In fact the chrome spindle outside can be moved by hand.
If I am to take it out do I grease it?
How do you get it out?
If it difficult?.
Eye Rolls Yellow Sedan Yellow Ute

grant69

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on the Bosses Jag, the inner "cable" would bind, I ended up pulling the whole lot out, putting the wheel boxes in the ultra sonic bath to clean off the old grease, regreased and reassembled, works a treat. p.s the Jag system is the same as morris just bigger

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the stopping mid sweep problem will be a poor contact on the gear inside the motor. Touching the wiper just moves it past the bad contact & away it goes again.
Remove the top cover & check if there's a dirty section on the gear contact area.

The wiper spindle is secured by the large nut just udner the wiper blade. Unfortunately, the nut is steel & the spindle is alloy so they can corrode together.

If you were to grease the cable, it might be easier to remove the inner cable completely. Give it a wash & cover it with fresh grease. Then you can run it back into the outer tubing back into position.
(Remove both wiper arms first as the spindles will spin while you're R&Ring the cable)
**This is easy on the 1000 as the wiper motor is in the engine bay. It's a PITA on the earlier cars with the motor under the dash.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: