Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Help removing dash fittings (MM Style)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Help removing dash fittings (MM Style) Reply with quote

Thanks for the wiring diagrams Trev, really useful. You'll all be pleased to know I have taken the plunge and am halfway through re-wiring my car with the new loom. So far all the under bonnet stuff is done, and I am now on the dashboard wiring.

This might sound kinda dumb, but does anyone have a trick for removing the light switch? Mine is a 1953 series II, same dash and layout as an MM. Once you have the knob off the light switch unit attaches to the dash by way of a chrome "nut" which is circular and smooth except for two small notches, ehich are obviously there so you can tighten and loosen it. Was there a special tool for this? Does anyone have a tip for undoing it? I tried a small screwdriver in one of the slots and tap but it's on very tightly and I don't want to hit too hard in case I damage the fitting.

Also, the ignition light (top of the dash behind the steering wheel) is proving tricky as I can't see how it attaches.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Scouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use circlip pliers to remove the light switch retaining nut but is sounds like yours might be extra tight. The light switch itself can't turn much but may try turning it slightly first just to free up the nut from it's grasp slightly.

The ignition light it held in place by a C clip. It's a right pain to refit as there's a sping to fight against.

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. I don't have a pair of circlip pliers, might have to get a pair.

Re the ignition light whats the best way to remove the C clip? Kind of hard to get a screwdriver up there. Any tips?

One final question - The painter dismantled the windscreen wiper fittings when spraying. I have refitted the wiper points but the motor is kind of floating free inside it's housing. Is this normal? Can't see any place where it would bolt in.

Thanks!

Mog Dog
2nd gear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try a pair of long nose pliers. As long as the ends of the pliers are smaller than the notch. This would give you plenty of access straight in instead of around in a circle close to the dash, if you know what i mean.

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
Re the ignition light whats the best way to remove the C clip? Kind of hard to get a screwdriver up there. Any tips?
To even have half a chance to see what is going on, remove the instrument cluster. Use a mirror to have a look at the underside of the warning light. You'll see the C clip on one side. Just be careful as the spring will fly out.

If you think removing it is hard, wait until you refit it Mad .

DavidH wrote:
The painter dismantled the windscreen wiper fittings when spraying. I have refitted the wiper points but the motor is kind of floating free inside it's housing. Is this normal? Can't see any place where it would bolt in.
It sounds like the rubber mounts have separated from the wiper plate. It's very common.
I have glued them back on before but it may be worthwhile checking eBay. I picked up a NOS mounting plate a couple of years ago.

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. I will be getting stuck into it again on Wednesday, so if you hear any swearing from down south it will be me Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: