Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Electrical Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Electrical Questions Reply with quote

Hi Folks.

Well i completed fitting the wiring loom, hooked up a battery and was pleased to find nothing caught fire! Most things seem to work OK with the following exceptions (any advice welcome!):

Headlamps go on fine but switching to high beam turns them off. Will check the bulbs and the Dip switch.

Stop Lamps don't work at rear. Will check switch in the brake line. The brakes are not fully bled yet, but lights don't come on even after pumping up to pressure. Again, will try new bulbs.

Fuel pump doesn't seem to tick. Is there a way I can check the pump? Tried running a wire from positive terminal to the pump but got a strong spark so didn't proceed. This pump (like the rest of the car) hasn't run since 1986 so could it be frozen up??

The thing causing me most grief is the horn. Does anyone know how this all hooks up on an MM/Early Series II? There is a copper brush that presses against a sleeve on the steering column. The cable from the fuse box will sound the horn whenever it touches an earth (woke up half the neighbourhood this morning!). I tried connecting the parts as per an old parts book I have but the horn sounds continuously and the horn button seems to have no effect. Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

I am going to fit flashers as well as the original trafficators. Can someone tell me how to test trafficators? There is only one cable, so does the body of the unit need to be earthed (as it would be when screwed into the car)?

Getting close to completion now. Good to see the thing starting to look like a Morrie again!

Cheers

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Questions Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
Hi Folks.

Well i completed fitting the wiring loom, hooked up a battery and was pleased to find nothing caught fire! Most things seem to work OK with the following exceptions (any advice welcome!):

Headlamps go on fine but switching to high beam turns them off. Will check the bulbs and the Dip switch.

Stop Lamps don't work at rear. Will check switch in the brake line. The brakes are not fully bled yet, but lights don't come on even after pumping up to pressure. Again, will try new bulbs.

Fuel pump doesn't seem to tick. Is there a way I can check the pump? Tried running a wire from positive terminal to the pump but got a strong spark so didn't proceed. This pump (like the rest of the car) hasn't run since 1986 so could it be frozen up??

The thing causing me most grief is the horn. Does anyone know how this all hooks up on an MM/Early Series II? There is a copper brush that presses against a sleeve on the steering column. The cable from the fuse box will sound the horn whenever it touches an earth (woke up half the neighbourhood this morning!). I tried connecting the parts as per an old parts book I have but the horn sounds continuously and the horn button seems to have no effect. Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

I am going to fit flashers as well as the original trafficators. Can someone tell me how to test trafficators? There is only one cable, so does the body of the unit need to be earthed (as it would be when screwed into the car)?

Getting close to completion now. Good to see the thing starting to look like a Morrie again!

Cheers

ShiiiiiiiiiiT, the headlights i'll have to think about.

You need a test light as you cant see the power.

The brake lights = use a test light on the preasure switch (other end to a good earth)it should have power on one side, Then on both sides when the brakes are pressed, if thats ok then try the centre pin in the glob holder, if you get power there then the earth is no good.

Fuel pump= same thing test for power at the terminal, if there is power, it's the pump, the pump earths threw the body, check it's clean.

The horn= the horn should have constant power to it, then it gets switched via the earth in the button/column, when the button is pressed it connects the copper parts then to earth. you are getting an earth all the time.

Trafficator just put the body of it onto neg battery & the wire to pos to check the soliniode works & the globe lights.

Trev
Aus

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trev. Sorted out the headlights - had the dip switch wired back to front. Understandable when there are no markings on the switch!

As to the horn I'll have to keep fiddling. I think there needs to be an insulator of some sort....So when you press the button it earths the system? So I presume the wire from the button hooks up to the sleeve on the steering column?

Will grab a test light tomorrow and get to work!

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the contact that rubs on the steering column ring is insulated from earth (it bolts to the steering column support bracket).
The wire to the switch passes through the column to the column slip ring so make sure that's not going to earth too.

The brake light switches are notorious for jamming - they can take a lot of pressure to activate when they do this.
Get a new Bosch one if this is the case.

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott

I got the horn sorted. I worked out that the brush and the cable needed to be isolated from the bolt. Managed to get it done using cardboard spacers.

Now just the stop lights and blinkers. I am going to use original trafficators plus install some suitable blinkers on the mudguards.

Otherwise very pleased. Even the dash lights work!

Thanks to everyone who persuaded me to tackle the re-wire myself!

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
Thanks Scott

I got the horn sorted. I worked out that the brush and the cable needed to be isolated from the bolt. Managed to get it done using cardboard spacers.

Now just the stop lights and blinkers. I am going to use original trafficators plus install some suitable blinkers on the mudguards.

Otherwise very pleased. Even the dash lights work!

Thanks to everyone who persuaded me to tackle the re-wire myself!

Pleeeeease no ugly box trailer lights on the guards Shocked
Make brackets under the bumpers, there are plenty of neat little blinkers for sale these days. Very Happy
Trev
Aus

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he

Don't worry trev, I have found some nice small discrete blinker units at ESM spares. They are similar to the ones used at the rear of the early travellers. Plan to install back ones just above tail light and front ones under headlights.

I know what you mean about those box trailer types. Yuk!

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of brake lights
They work when pressure switch is on i:e . Pressurised.
So take wires off join together. Lights work wiring OK.
Still no lights check power to switch. Power OK . Join to gether checks lamps earths etc. :
On the subject of lights for indicators( blinkers)
I changed parking lights to indicators painted the globes yellow.
Then fitted headlights with parking lights in side.
At the rear I fitted small long yellow clearance lights under bumper.
This suits me as I did not want lights above my tailights. Yellow Sedan Yellow Ute

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:

On the subject of lights for indicators( blinkers)
I changed parking lights to indicators painted the globes yellow.
Then fitted headlights with parking lights in side.
At the rear I fitted small long yellow clearance lights under bumper.
This suits me as I did not want lights above my tailights. Yellow Sedan Yellow Ute

Thats the way to go, blinkers on top of the tail lights are dangerous i reckon, as the sun shines strait into em & you cant see em Eye Rolls
Trev
Aus

tortron
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did see some mounted either side of the rear numberplate. it was.... interesting

you could cut slots in the rear guards and have the actual lens hidden

redback
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Van On our MM We changed the centre of the front parking light to take a dual filament globe and on the rear we made the brake lights flash as indicators so we dont need ugly amber lights this is legal in both Qld and NSW. We still have the original working semephores but only for display purposes. Regards Heather

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiiiiit all us oldies sitting home on the computer instead of out partying Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Trev
Aus
dukes of hazard on soon Very Happy Very Happy

DavidH
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of doing what Heather suggested...just afraid of being run into up the rear unless I have nice orange lights winking....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: