Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

MorRX
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graham
At rest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

Morrx went to the Queenscliff rod run display today, we parked in the non entrant area, surrounded by Thunderbirds, A Road runner and a very old Chev pickup.

Morrx was not the only Minor there , this one unfortunately had its bonnet blown off, by a strong gust of wind, just after I got there. Some of you may know the Ute it has been around for a while, 3.8 V6 Commodore engine with a 2" or 3" roof chop.

A rather neat looking Morris 8 or 10 I can not remember.

And even an Austin

And there was a few hundred Fords, Chevs etc

Cheers
Graham
Very Happy Very Happy Blue Sedan Very Happy Very Happy

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

Morrx and I went for a little drive down to Lorne yesterday afternoon, about 200km round trip.
We went via Geelong, Winchelsea, Deans marsh then over the Otway ranges to Lorne, came back via Anglesea, Torquay, Barwon Heads, Ocean Grove and Drysdale.
The terrane varied from open undulating grazing/cropping land, Geelong to Deans Marsh, to mountainous temperate rain forest , Deans Marsh to Lorne, then panoramic ocean views from the Great Ocean Road, Lorne to Torquay.

From Deans Marsh the road rises to 427m in 12km then drops to sea level in 11km, the road is two lane with a 80km speed limit but most corners are signed at 30 to 40 kph with generally only a couple of hundred metres between the corners, with the gear box held in second Morrx had good engine breaking going into the corners and good acceleration coming out for the straights great fun. With second giving 20kph/1000 the engine was operating in the 2000 to 5000 rev range which gives easy power as peak torque is at 4000 and power at 7000. With ventilated disks up front not brake fade which added to the fun.

The Great Ocean road is cut into the side of the Otway Ranges which come down to the sea, it has panoramic ocean views on one side and a cliff on the other, winds around the edge rising and falling as it goes past creeks and beaches.
A pleasant sunny day yesterday ( high 20s C) but being mid week not too much traffic so a very pleasant drive a nice bit of variety, and Morrx performed beautifully, a very good day.

Cheers
Graham

jax
overdrive

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green with envy Graham. A great drive indeed and one that could have been specially designed for Morries. As a mad 19yo in the late 50's I used to thrash a series 2 around there, No speed limits in those days and not much traffic, probably not much sense either, although in an 803 probably didn't get much above 80 k anyway!
If you havn't already done it another great drive in that area is Lorne- Apollo Bay and then back Skenes Creek- Forrest you can then choose to toddle back up the Highway or through Deans Marsh back to Lorne. I've never done this in a Morry but the Rotary should love it. Did it recently on an MX5 club run at 7.00AM, saw one other car on the Lorne AB leg- Brilliant! If anyone wants to try this 2 tips. If you go Lorne- Apollo bay in the AM you won't get the sun in your eyes, and watch out for logging trucks on the Skenes Creek- Forest road. Cheers John G

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day John

My preferred drive is down to Colac, then through Gellibrand up the range then down the Skeen's Creek road lunch at Apollo Bay and back around the coast.
This time I got a way late and only had the afternoon, hence the shorter trip through Lorne.
But it was, as it should be, good fun. Very Happy Very Happy
I have been travelling around the Great Ocean Road since the early 1950s
back then as a passenger. It certainly has changed.

Cheers
Graham

delray
I am not the Stig

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI graham I see you are in tassie for march I spotted the morrie on the hwy heading out of hobart would be great to have a Look at your car I also have a morrie with a 13b that I have just completed .give me a call 0407326107 cheers ian ..

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

I had a look at Ian's car today, for a chop top it is very neat.

With out the fuel injection, air con etc there is a lot more room in the engine bay. With a manual box the engine sits a bit further back
Which also gives more room.

Cheers
Graham

1_fast_minor_ute
I can do it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,
This is a fantastic journey to have seen for the first time today. Thank you so much for all the info you posted. I am keen to look into the brake system you used on the front. I have a '56 Morrie Ute that I am converting. I have a Toyota 4AGE engine, T50 5 speed box and a Mazda 323 rear end. I am going to change to a Toyota rear end.
A lot of work with little money. All work done so far i have done my self. I will start a post for my conversion now that I have seen yours.

Sean

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

Great job on the mods! It looks great!

I was wondering if you know what colour Morrx is painted? My Little Blue is a very similar colour, and I'm trying to find a match.

Thanks![/img]

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

Thank you for the kind comments.
It is supposed to be the original colour which I think is Panama Blue on the id tag. I am not at home this week so can not check on the car.

Cheers
Graham

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, I'll look it up.

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

We had a couple of events recently, the Australian Motoring Heritage day and a Shannon's Show at the Darwin Show grounds.
At the Heritage day there was the usual Holden's and Fords etc.

As well as a very nicely restored Model A

At Shannons Morrx was not the only Minor but was the only one in the shade

Cheers
Graham

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

I have always thought that the front brakes were a little bit more that was required, but after an incident at the week end I am very happy with them.
In the middle lane on a 6 lane road, 70kph speed , a sweeping corner with a T intersection on the apex ( can you have a T on a corner?) and a clown in a Holden starting to cross the three lanes as I come around the corner. On the brakes so he can cross in front of me, then I become aware of the car on the inside has not seen the danger and not slowed.
More brake pressure to hopefully avoid the debris from the impending crash, fortunately the car on the inside saw the danger and was able to cross into my lane just in front of me to just avoid the tail of the Holden.

This just confirmed to me the requirement for good brakes and made me very happy I had not compromised the brakes but put new big bakes on
the front, the back disks came with the Mazda axel.
Power assist 295mm ventilated, grooved twin piston may seem a bit much for the front of a minor but when you need them you stop with a lot of confidence.
I am happy I spent the money on them and I bet the car on the inside was too.

Cheers
Graham

Last edited by graham on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham wrote:
This just confirmed to me the requirement for good brakes and made me very happy I had not compromised the brakes but put new big bakes on
the front, the back disks came with the Mazda axel.
Power assist 295mm ventilated, grooved twin piston may seem a bit much for the front of a minor but when you need them you stop with a lot of confidence.
I am happy I spent the money on them and I bet the car on the inside was too.

How do you find them in the wet Graham?
Mine are great in the dry (Tarago discs+calipers) but I don't get enough weight transfer in the wet to give me 100% confidence in them.

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

So far so good, I have not had any trouble in the wet, they are very progressive with good feel. I have good quality tyres which helps but so far no crash stops in the wet, fortunatly the other day was on dry road as there was not much margin.

cheers
Graham

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

The other week we had a club visit to a members shed, he is a bit of a Ford nut but very interesting.

He has a copy of one of the first Fords

This one is said to be real, made about 1907

a few other early ones not sure if they are real but could be.

And a few others from T to 56 Thunderbird

Cheers
Graham

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

MORRX was busy over the week end with a trip organised on Ausrotary Forum on Saturday in the area north of Ballarat.

And a trip with the Melbourne Morrie club on Sunday to Dalesford.

Some of the locals at lunch

Cheers
Graham

LRS
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Ducks at lunch Reply with quote

Hey Graham,
It was a nice surprise to see you arrive at the start point (the mutter was, "there is a blue Morry over there", Who is that??)
I saw the MORRX plates and knew in a moment.
It was nice to see you again and have you join us on a run.
Had to have a peek under your bonnet at the first stop.
Thanks for coming along be it ever so humble, we usually have a lot more cars on our runs, however it was a fun day with the few who came and a pleasant drive to Daylesford and back vie Trentham. I hope you enjoyed yourself.
Your car is looking good Graham.
Thanks for coming along today, I hope we made you feel welcome.
Leigh .

LRS

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Leigh

Thank you and the other Melbourne club members for your welcome and trip.
The common thread of the week end was a good drive and good company on both days.
All up Morrx covered about 800km for the week end and handled it with out fault.
Interestingly Morrx is accepted and welcomed by both groups, Rotary and Morry. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea but diversity and life interesting.

Cheers
Graham

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

A bit of a problem yesterday mounts for the low preasure fuel pump to the header tank

failed

Fortunately it did not hit the road and a following motorcyclist saw it hanging down and waved me down, a quick repair and continued on my way.
I was wondering why they would fail, not being very old, until I tried to refit with new mounts when I found that the mounts are under stress all the time from the hoses being too long for the location of the mounts.
I will have to move the mounts a couple of inches to relieve the stress as it should have been made to start with.

Cheers
Graham

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

At 1058 this morning I will have owned the car that has became Morrx for four years.
This is my first old car project and clearly from the thread I could have done some things better but my basic concept for the car has proved to have been right.
The Morrx package works, for me anyway, the appearance of a Morris Minor, albeit a bit modified, but with upgrades to enable relaxed easy use in modern traffic.
The best change has been the brakes, it has gone from having adequate breaks in the 50's to stopping better than most cars on the road today.
It makes driving it much more relaxed and enjoyable knowing you can stop.
The motor is the heart of the car and the rotary/auto combination has proved ideal for the Minor , with the power/torque coming with the revs the basically original suspension is not over whelmed on take off( no axel tramp etc) and the car just pulls smoothly away at what ever speed your right food dictates.
The main advantage of the increased power comes on the open road where you have more choices as to where to set the cruise control and where you can maintain your chosen speed irrespective of obstructions, hills, caravans etc. overtaking acceleration is much improved.
Come up behind a caravan at 100kph which is 2500 revs, slow to 80kph 2000revs in top but kick the auto and it will go back to second which is 4000 (peak torque) and with a satisfying push in the back you accelerate
and pass the caravan. The only thing to watch is your speed as it could easily exceed 120 before you pull back in. Because of the acceleration passing distances are much shorter and therefore are possible and safer than before.
More power dose not mean you have to go faster it just means you have more choices and can sustain your chosen speed more easily.

I am still amazed at the number of people who comment on the car, it appears that the majority of people with grey hair had something to do with a minor in their youth and it left a positive impassion.

I started out to build my vision of what a Morry should be in the 21st century and I think I have succeeded just a little fiddling with some cosmetics and it will be finished, if they are ever finished.

As I said before first time project and first time on a forum. In the time I have been on this forum I am surprised at the number of projects that
have started had frantic activity then stopped, hopefully they lost interest in the forum not their projects/dreams.

As we go into another year I look forward to having some more adventures and fun in Morrx and I hope you have as much fun in your chosen toy.

Cheers
Graham

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham
Please keep writing and placing the pictures in. I like reading the happenings.

I'm just jealous that I cannot trip around at the moment.

Regards
Kel

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

I found out yesterday that there was to be a car show at Mornington on New Years day and since some of the Melbourne Morries were going decided to go.
Morrx waiting to board the ferry from Queenscliff to Sorrento Mornington Peninsula.

The show was put on by a Rod and custom club so mainly Rods and American V8's.
The show had more cars turn up than was expected so Morrx , the Melbourne Morries and 100 or so others could not get into the venue,
Morrx eventually got in.

A few cars that took my eye of the several hundred present.

A very nice custonline, the very first car I drove was a Mainline, the ute version of the Customline of this vintage.

Happy New Year

Cheers
Graham

Last edited by graham on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
graham
At rest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

The Drysdale cricket club held its second classic car show today
after a cruise around the Bellarine Peninsular last evening.
Some of the cars from the cruise.

Morrx and the Geelong Morry's attended along with several hundred non Morrys

Some cars I liked

This is still an amazing shape after nearly 50 years.

What every MGB should have had.

Hers and His, Hornet with 351 and FC with 307 Chev.

Nice hot rod

Expensive paint job

Even a couple of other rotary cars
Bridge port 13B

Capella/RX2

Mazda 1200 wagon

Not a 1200 engine

Cheers
Graham

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something old is new again.

Cheers
Graham

Last edited by graham on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
graham
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

We went to the Portarlington Mussel Festival on the week end, the festival promotes local primary industry primarily the mussels, wine and olives. They also have a classic car display, this year it included over twenty Minors, 19 from the Geelong club ( including 2 visitors from Melbourne ) and 3 or 4 others. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so have no pictures.

Of the other cars there the Roots Group club had the ones that impressed me most. A very nice early 60's Hillman Minx with a 1800 twin cam Nissan motor, he even has the cam covers powder coated to match the car. All he has to do is get the Nissan off the engine top and you would not know it was not original. There was also an early 50's Sunbeam alpine convertible that was very nice. But the real sleeper was a Sunbeam Tiger Mk1, it was parked next to an Alpine of the same vintage and apart from the small badges looked the same. The mk1 Tiger came with a 260 V8 but this one has a stroked 289 to 340 with over 400bhp, it would be a very interesting drive.

A good day all up, sorry about the no pictures, I will do better next time.

Cheers
Graham

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: