Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Heater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickeypoos
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Heater Reply with quote

Hi all,
Anyone ever removed the heater from a Morris Minor?
Any tricks?
I really do not need it and it just recircs anyway so I am thinking of getting rid of it.
Or am I total mechanical dimwit and my 58 ute will explode upon removal?

Mick

tonynoosa
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: answer Reply with quote

Leave it in.
Reason...follows

All Morris Minors factory fitted with a heater before 1963 have had a long time cooling them selves with only 3/4 of the avaible water supply passing through the motor block (there is some cooling in the heater it self) but this has little affect on the temp that the motor has grown use to of the life of the car.
To suddenly have a full water supply cooled bt the raditor going full on through the motor may cause it to run a bit off even may loosen some forign matter (RUST) causeing it to lodge in the raditor thus trying to get back to the original flow but may block even more of the flow off and causeing an over heating problem.
I would and have put into the circut of my heater a ballvalue tap so as to slowly restrict the flow over winter to where in summer the the motor will be weened off a lack of cooling and will have gotten use to a better way of life (Cooling) amounts of water.
I will of cause slowly turn off the tap over summer so that the moter gets less water in winter and will therefore run slightly hotter in winter .
This method worked well in my old EH Holden and as an added bonus I quite offen in the dead of winter did turn on the heater so as to warm myself.
I did prior to the ute have a MM without a heater and found that in winter it was a bit sluggish for a longer time about 4 mile before it got to running temp whereas in summer it was working well before the end of the block.
Mind you starting work at 4am in the dead of winter I was shaking a bit and may not have had complete control of my right foot and therego the go pedal.
BUT ..if you go the other way and decide to remove the heater please wait untill summer and then just undo the bolts on the firewall and cut the hoses about 3in from where they meet the (top) water pump out let and the bottom Hose T section then using the clamps from the heater end of the hoses get some sealing tape and 2 bolts that fit tightly into the hoses these are then fixed into the hoses that are left near the radiator and clamped to seal any leaks.
I take no responceabilty for any actions that may be taken by anyone that read this and then work on there Morris !!!!
Just remember Addiction takes time to get over (IF EVER)

OK time for my pills so I will sign off..
OH LOOK a blue skyyyy....>>>....WOW

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Reply with quote

mickeypoos wrote:
Hi all,
Anyone ever removed the heater from a Morris Minor?
Any tricks?
I really do not need it and it just recircs anyway so I am thinking of getting rid of it.
Or am I total mechanical dimwit and my 58 ute will explode upon removal?

Mick

Mate just pull it out & either link the 2 hoses in the engine bay, block to radiator. Or block the ends, brass plugs in head & radiator.

Tape up the wireing so it cant short on anything.
Trev
Aus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: