Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Central Locking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Central Locking Reply with quote

Has anyone fitted central locking to thier morrie and if so do you have any pics or instructions?

John

Scouse

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central locking actuators are designed for modern locks & can't handle the forces required to operate the Morry locks.

One way around it is to have the actuators operate separate locking pins. That way you leave the Morry doors unlocked & they are prevented from opening by the electrically operated locking pins that go from the door into the body.

grant69

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played with it but as scott says modern systems won't work, I have a couple of "shutdown" solenoids off navy ships which were surplus when they went from 12v to 24v, they are 5cm round and 10cm long draw 10amps to fire, and put out 200ftlb of force. They work a treat, problem is to mount them means your windows stay up all the time. I am working on adapting a ""modern" door mechanism now (probably early 70's fairlane)

Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to look at different door locks, have a look at the Autoloc units. they have a small unit that may fit in a Morris Door. It's the best I've seen so far. Problem with most existing car arrangements are they are too wide for the Morris door and too deep to allow the window guide to pass. But these may do it, check them out. then central locking may be an option with these. It's in my one day projects list to do such a change.

Tom
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realise it was supposed to be difficult! I have had remote central locking on the front doors of my sedan for over two years. (Fitted it when I installed the power windows.) I have done away with the original interior handles and changed to Corolla pull outs but the locks are original. I have had no problem at all with the operation of them. I used a universal aftermarket kit called "Black Widow".
You can see the door handles in this pic

Next time I have the door trim off I will take some pics of the actuators.

Tom

John
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Central locking Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Tom, I'd love to see pics when you have the door trims off.

John

gmrhodes
Got the keys

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had no problems fitting central locking, have had it on the ute for the last four years. Used a uneversal kit from Dick Smiths but they are all pretty much the same. Will try to find the diagram I made for someone else, very sipmle and there are a couple of ways to do it. Door poppers are next.

John
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Central locking Reply with quote

gmrhodes wrote:
Had no problems fitting central locking, have had it on the ute for the last four years. Used a uneversal kit from Dick Smiths but they are all pretty much the same. Will try to find the diagram I made for someone else, very sipmle and there are a couple of ways to do it. Door poppers are next.

Thanks Glen, that would be very helpful.

John

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: