Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

wiring up 4k corolla engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
55van
Got the keys

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: wiring up 4k corolla engine Reply with quote

Can somebody please help me, Just dropped a 4k in the morrie and when it came to hooking up the wiring it all went wrong. I labeled all the wires before i took it out the origanal motor out, thinkig the 4k wouldn't be much different.So i hooked up all the wires the way the labels said to the 4k but i'm getting no spark and the coil is getting red hot. So i went out and bought a new bosch gt40 coil thinking the coil has packed it in but the new one is doing the same. So if there is anyone out there that can help me or show me pics etc etc wold be a great help thanks 55van

Oracle
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting no spark and the coil getting hot could be two different problems. First which coil do you have? A straight 12 volt or a "use ballast resistor" coil. A 12 volt coil can happily take 12 volts all day, a ballasted coil is only good on 8-9 volts (reduced through the ballast (it only has 12 volts during cranking)and will get VERY hot with 12 volts constant. (The details are written on the bottom of the coil.)
It is a fact that modern coils do not have as much oil as the older coils and if they are mounted horizontally they can overheat rapidly.
Is there power to the coil only when the ignition is on or during cranking? (not when the ignition is off Shocked )
The no spark could be many things. Do you still have at least 9 volts at the coil when the starter is cranking? If not just for trial run a wire from the battery positive to the coil in terminal, and try again. Are the points opening/ closing?
Have you lost the carbon from inside the distributor cap? In a darkened area and with the points closed can you see any spark at all at the points when you manually open them with the ignition on?
Persevere and you will find the problem Very Happy
Let us know how you go.

55van
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought a new GT40R bosch coil it is runnung a ballast resistor.So it should start with a wire with only 12v with start up going in one end of the ballast resistor, the other end goes to the + positive side of the coil then the - negative side of the coil goes to the distributer. Also there is a white wire which on the morrie wiring diagram looks like it goes to the positve side of the coil as well. But it runs constant 12v not sure were that should go. thanks for your help oracle

Oracle
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coil with ballast should be used this way.
12 volts from "ignition on" in to ballast = 8-9 volts out of ballast and then to coil. This is so during normal running the coil which is designed to run on the lower voltage would be getting its 8-9 volts. A wire with full 12 volts from "start/crank" position on ign switch or pull start by passes ballast and goes directly to coil so during cranking (only) the lower volt coil gets a full 12 volts producing a better spark for starting.
Not sure if this is what you are saying you have yours. Very Happy

55van
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Oracle this helps me alot lets see if i can get it started now. will keep you posted

55van
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oracle did what you said got spark now, but it wants to fire up when i pull the button but as soon as i let the button go it stops. checked everything over again and found the ballast resistor is red hot could see it was starting to glow. my hands are on my head again

frosty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What earth are you now with the conversion?
Positive or Negative?
Have you sorted the Minor voltage regulator box?
If the Corolla ballast resistor was "glowing" then it has probably carked it

55van
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir frosty runing negative to negative. thought that went out and bought a new ballast resistor.As for the voltage regulator box what do i have to do there. Any help would be great

55van
Got the keys

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir frosty u out there can u please help me. Can u tell me what to do about the Morrie voltage regulator box

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so 12volts from the starter motor side of the solinoid needs to go directly to the + side of the gt40r coil.

The white ign feed from the minor needs to go to one end of the ballast resistor.

You will need to make a wire to go from the other side of the ballast resistor to the + side of the coil.

Then you will need a wire to go from the negative side of the coil to the distributor.

The ballast resistor should get warm with normal operation.

So you should have 2 wires on the positive side of the coil and one on the negative side of the coil.

You may have damaged the condenser with all the wrong wiring before so it would be my advise that you replace the points and condenser as well, and start a fresh.

good luck

Darren

55van
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

libbor done all that the other day and thats when the ballast resistor got red hot. Which i dont understand why, hooked white wire to the ballast resistor then the other end to the +coil which dropped the voltage down to 8volts and hooked the - onto the distributer, then hooked a wire from the starter solinoid to give the coil that extra kick on start up. I dont get why it is getting red hot Sir frosty said something about sorting out the minor voltage box do you know what he ih talking about

grant69

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need to bypass the morris voltage regulator mounted on the firewall. It was for generators, so is now redunant, you just need to swap the wires over to the same terminals(colour for colour)so it is bypassed

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant understand what is going on. The resister will get hot. But i dont think red hot.

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll get red hot if one side is directly to gnd

55van
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant69 does this mean you dont need the voltage regulator at all. Can i just get rid of it and put a fuse box in instead.

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically, it will now just be a junction box

55van
Got the keys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help. Going out to day to buy a fuse box so I can get rid of that voltage regulator box. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

55van
Got the keys

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found out why the ballast resistor was getting hot it was caused by the wire i had hooked from the push button ignition on the fire wall to the positive side of the coil this must of been cause it to gnd. so now i'm not sure were to run run this wire from now its only to give the coil boost on start up. God i'm over wiring is ther esomebody out there that has done this, and tell me were all the wires should go in simple terms thanks 55van

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: