Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Trafficators & Indicators At Same Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Trafficators & Indicators At Same Time Reply with quote

Hi All,
i was just wondering if someone could tell me what each of the pins were ie L X and +?

im looking at doing mike perry's 2 blinker can trafficator setup but using the return pin (whichever it is) to light the bulb on the indicator stalk.

Here's Mikes implementation (pretty darn neat):
http://mmoc.org.uk/mbimage.php?src=1235140932_3580

Thanks,
Tom

Shawn
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co-incidentally, I've just finished re-fitting my trafficators this evening, using that diagram as a basis.

I used two pin electronic flasher units, with the "X" terminal going to the bulbs.

To get the tell-tale light on the stalk to flash (instead of just glow), you need to snip the two wires, (greenred and greenwhite) on the tell tale bulb holder in the indicator switch and connect them to the "X" pins on the corresponding flasher units.

I had to try and be a smarta$%e as well, and get the bulbs on the trafficators to flash, at the same time as isolating the trafficators for my hazard lights. I should have just stuck to the diagram, but I got it (almost) in the end.

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi shawn
so you ran 2 2pin cans and split the trafficator feed coming from the stalk and input it into the can then from the can into the indicator for that side and on that terminal you put a double spade or something and returned it to the lamp on the end of the stalk?

Cheers,
Tom

Shawn
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, double spade on the x terminal of the flasher.

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi shawn! sorry one last question just wondering what wattage the blinker relays you used were as you have the get the right rated relay.
or what make and model did you use and ill just buy those!
Cheers,
Tom

Shawn
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't check the rating of the relays. Embarassed I just hunted around the wreckers for two relatively newish matching ones.

They are the Electronic type out of modern cars. I believe that these are less reliant on the resistance provided by the bulbs.

I figured that most modern cars have three bulbs per side, now so do I.

This could be horribly, horribly wrong, but I don't think so...

Shawn
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to this, I wasn't happy with the performance of the two pin relays. I tried several different brands and found them to all be a bit slow and sluggish.

I have since replaced these with three pin Mitsuba brand (FR-3309) units (incidentally, stock items from 90s Honda Civics).

They work much better. The only wiring change needed was to add earths to the relays.

They have labelled terminals - "E" earth, "B" - Battery (or from indicator switch in our case) and "L" - to the bulbs

This almost certainly has to do with bulb wattages, but my understanding runs out about here... Very Happy

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome! thanks for the update shawn! all working happily now?

bigcarle
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funnily enough i dropped into jack reed's (reedspeed) place yesterday and this subject came up and he has his own wiring diagram for an A40 that would be suitable for the minor as well.
this enabled the Front/rear lights to blink while using the semiphores as normal and all operated from the one switch.
phone
redspeed mini mecca
07 3245 2384

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you come across your relays shawn i was thinking id just go to supercheap and buy 2 3 pin cans..

as for the wiring diagram carl i found another which uses 1 blinker can and 2 relays that i wired up a while ago but dunno if it over complicates the matter!

Shawn
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the wreckers and paid next to nothing for three matching units. They did look at me a bit strangely though.

If they fail, I'll get new ones. My budget is always tight, so whem I'm experimenting I like to use as many (cheap) second hand parts as possible.

I think I saw the diagram with the relays too, but I think it is too complicated. Mine is busy enough with the added Hazard lights.

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've been attempting to hook up trafficators and indicators at the same time and are having some issues just wondering if there'd be a possibility you could shed some light!

From the indicator switch (excluding the horn wire) I have 3 wires:

1. green
2. green white
3. green red

following Mike Perry's diagram and Shawns comments I've done the following.

1. The green from the indicator switch connects to the green in the loom

2. the green red wire gets split into 2 using a double spade. one end of that spade goes into the power on the blinker can, the other straight to the trafficator wire (also green red) the 2 wires for my front and rear on the left hand side then get connected to the L terminal on the flasher relay

3. the green white gets split into 2 using a double spade. one end of that spade goes into the power on the blinker can, the other straight to the trafficator wire (also green white) the 2 wires for my front and rear on the right hand side then get connected to the L terminal on the flasher relay

If i activate the green red side aka the left hand side the trafficator pops up and the indicators flash.. What also happens for some reason is the other blinker relay is activated and the green tell tale light flashes using the other relay meant for the right hand side.

If i activate the green white side aka the right hand side a fuse immediately blows.. i checked the earth wire (the plain one) coming down from the pillar and re-earthed it to the underside of the dash after sanding some clean metal for it and putting a ring on the end.

If i remove the trafficator (green white wire from that equation the tell tale light stays a constant green but the indicators on the right do flash..

so I have 2 problems:

1. Why does the left hand activate the right hand side's blinker can?
2. do you know of what could be causing the fuse to blow the way it is? if I even just connect the green white from the stalk to the green white from the loom it blows..

Sorry for the long description. I have also included a pic!

Thanks so much!
Tom

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alas i can't seem to fix this shorting thing.. i found the bare
earting wire for the trafficator was not connected on the trafficator
end so i've reconnected it.. tested the trafficator with a wire and a
bullet and a battery outside the car but it must be something in the
green white connection somewhere! i know nothing about multimeters etc
so not sure how to proceed in finding the fault!

Shawn
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presenting for your consideration. This is what I've done with mine.

Everything works as it should.

Any corrections or improvements would be appreciated.

S

Last edited by Shawn on Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 5 times in total
mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi shawn just wondering in which direction did you place the stripe on your diodes for the trafficators? is this to prevent feedback from the relay?

this is the offending trafficator.. the bare metal wire at the top of the body wasn't connected originally but now it is and earthed under the dash.. alas still nothing.. will try some of shawns suggestions

Shawn
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bare wire might be the retaining/tension cable for the headlining. If it is, it's not electrical.

I'll have to check the diode, but I think that the power flows from the end without the stripe to the end with the stripe. I think I've shown it the right way in the diagram.

redback
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Van On our sedan we have the trafficators wired through the normal trafficator switch and then we have the front parkers and back brake lights flash as indicators like the old fc holdens had so we did not have to put amber lights on the vehicle and it all still looks original.we only have one flasher cam fitted and all works fine this is legal in most states if the vehicle is pre 1959 regards Redback

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: EUREAKA! Reply with quote

Thank you Shawn! thank you so much! you're fault finding worked!
i ran a new wire from the trafficator to the green white and i heard a click! after prying with my finger it popped up and lit up!

so then with much swearing, a coat hanger and the fading light of the evening i ran the new wire down the front pillar thingamo

still to do is diodes and the flashing stalk but at least i can drive it tommorrow!

just wondering you know how the trafficator has a spring/lock kind of thing then once free of that it pops up? the trafficator on the right won't go up unless i push it until the spring clicks then it goes up and down freely..

same with the left hand side but sometimes it can make it past the spring locky thing.. any suggestions??

AGAIN! thanks so much to Shawn such an amazing help with some really detailed emails and a great way of explaining things to me! Very Happy

Shawn
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: EUREAKA! Reply with quote

mollythemoggie wrote:
...just wondering you know how the trafficator has a spring/lock kind of thing then once free of that it pops up? the trafficator on the right won't go up unless i push it until the spring clicks then it goes up and down freely..

same with the left hand side but sometimes it can make it past the spring locky thing.. any suggestions??...

I actually had a similar problem as well. Obviously, make sure everything is clean and oiled first.

If that doesn't work, there is a curved tab formed on the backing plate next to the catch mechanism. If you gently bend it open ever so slightly (like 0.5mm or less) with a screwdriver (go in from the top) you make it so the catch moves a shorter distance to disengage. But you have to be careful - opening it up too much will leave the catch permanantly disengaged and the trafficators will swing open by themselves when you go around corners.

This might not be the correct way to solve this, but it worked for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: