Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Nancy's "Black Beauty" 1953 2 door saloon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Nancy's "Black Beauty" 1953 2 door saloon Reply with quote

Here she is finally, my Black Beauty 1953 2 door saloon Morris Minor Series II. The original owner always called her “Black Beauty” and so will keep that name for her.

This lady was originally purchased in 1953 in Rockhampton and when the lady owner was too old to drive any longer it was passed to her Daughter and moved to Bowen. When her daughter became too old to drive it was then sold and moved to Yarraman. And now 2010 it has arrived in North Ipswich Qld. Last registration was 1989 rego number 621-349. It has its original 803cc A Series engine.

All original including original motor and running gear plus Nepture Motorist’s Log Book, Morris Minor (Series II) Operation Manual, Mobilgas Inside Information Booklet and the Morris Minor Series MM & II Workshop Manual although they are old and worn in places.

Also there is the original tool kit minus the carry roll and grease gun, but all the other pieces are still there intact. Even the foot pump still works.

It appears that is has never been touched and has only 2 very minor small spots of rust.

The white splashes on the car that you can see was the Yarraman owner put some kind of rust kill over the surface rust that was there.

Well that is it for now until restoration begins back to its former original glory.

Last edited by Nancy on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
sunalp2
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great car Nancy, I detect a bit of passion for it in you.

I'm sure we'll be seeing you around here quite a bit. Very Happy

Take the advice previously given and contact your local club.

Even better, join it.

If it's anything like my club, you will find willing hands to help you.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy,

I bet you cant wait to get started on your "Black Beauty". Are you going to strip it completely first or are you going to do it in stages.

Have you decided yet which bit your going to do first.

I hope its as enjoyable for you as mine was for me

Good luck with it all and remember, we are a helpful bunch

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your messages. I absolutely love the car and have already started stripping her. We removed the interior yesterday and found the floor in perfect condition no rust at all, which is great. She will be not entirely stripped back to a bare shell but want to keep it as original as possible. So will be reusing all the door handles, window winders, anything that is still in good condition. I will clean / polish everything myself but will have to buy some new boot and bonnet hinges etc. They are quite scaly and weathered and it maybe cheaper to buy new ones rather than have the old ones re-chromed etc. Will keep the rear seat as is and the kick panels and door trims as is, they just need a good clean to remove marks etc. The hood lining has 2 small rips and I am hoping they can be repaired in-car. Is that possible do you think? Because the car is complete there are lots of parts that will be reused and only a few mostly external that will need to be replaced.
Mechanically it needs the water pump, fuel pump and radiator either fixed or replaced, plus the brakes etc.
My favourite item on the car is the steering wheel it is a fabulous looking excellent condition almost like a pearl appearance.
It really is an exciting project for me and I am looking forward to.
Next I will join our local Morris Minor club and get as much info as I can.
Will keep you posted as the restore continues.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy,

Good to hear black beauty is on the mend.

Before you get too far into the renovation, it might be a good idea to take the sill covers off and have a look under there, just to make sure the dreaded rust has stayed away. These are the covers that are under the doors on both sides.

It is really common to get a false sense of hope when you see the floors are ok, but only to find there is rust behind those covers.

You will find there is about 5 bolts and nuts underneath and a few self tappers on top.

The only reason im telling you this now is just in case you are going to put carpet inside now.

As for the roof lining, it tends to get brittle when it gets older so repairing may be hard. I know its a big job but replacing is so much better. It will give the inside a fresh feeling. The roof lining tends to get smelly when it gets old so a new one wouldnt hurt. They are cheap from ESM in the uk.

Might be a good idea to open an account with them when you can. Their service is good, prices are great. The best thing is, you can shop online and get the postage amount straight away, rather than having to wait for a return email.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Libbor for your advice. We tried getting the sills off yesterday and were able to get the self tapers out but the bolts & nuts underneath are difficult to get off as they have aged of course. But we will persist and with a bit of WD40 and some luck will get them off, then we will know the full state of the floor.
Have already checked out ESM site and they have heaps of stuff. Good tip regarding the hood lining will look into that.

Here are a few pics of what happens when I leave the house for a little while.....hubby decided to take the front off, now Black Beauty is a looking sad. She is now resting on car stands.

This is the result of our hard work yesterday on the interior....

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy

Its sometimes a lot easier just to angle grind off the bolts underneath. They are normally quite rusty anyway.

Good to see you have started anyway

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have now both sills off and after another successful afternoon spent on Black Beauty here are the results of the rust found.

Front Guard Inner

Passenger front floor

Bottom of battery tray from under the dash inside

Passenger side under sill (no rust)

Passenger side underneath rail

Drivers side under sill & rail (no rust)

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check around the spring hangers and inside the rear floor of the boot as well closest to the lock

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy, It would probably be a good a idea if you were to spray some killrust into those sills. Although the rust has not eaten through the panels there is evidence of moisture being there and killrust would stop it dead.

I bought some from our local autopaint shop. It was made by 'liquid engineering'. It sprays on fairly clear but as its converting it turns black. It can then be painted over. good stuff! It comes in a trigger pack.

What you have found there is not unusual for a morrie and does not seem to be that major. It looks like you have done well to buy this one as I have seen a lot worse. Mine was a lot worse than that.

Keep up the hard work

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grant for the tip, have checked as you have suggested around the hangers etc and there is no sign of rust there.

Thanks Libbor for the suggestion will certainly do that.

After taking the guards off yesterday afternoon we found the front passenger side has some additional rust that was hidden behind the guard as in the pic here. Guards are good though.

It would seem the passenger side may have been in the weather the most as the drivers side of things is rust free.

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Red Sedan Hi Nancy and welcome to the Forum, the rust in your floor was probably caused by a leaking windscreen rubber so if you don't intend fitting a new rubber seal make sure you take it out and reseal when refitted. regards William Ballard. Eye Rolls Red Sedan

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi William, thanks for the advice. My intention is to remove all the glass and refit with new rubbers all round. Also intend to use new rubbers everywhere.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the inconvenience of having to work all week, finally a little more progress on the restoration of Black Beauty.

We purchased some environmental friendly paint stripper and here are the results of hubby's hard work this afternoon.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really good Nancy & hubby.

My only concern is that those panels are vulnarable to rust now. My advice would be to get the main body repaired and painted first and then do the removeable panels after.

These are just my thoughts and are not to be taken as critisism of what you have done.

Your certainly getting on with it which is good to see.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Libbor, the panels still need to be sanded back yet but will take care with regards to them rusting. Work on the body repairs shouldn't be too far away now.

Really appreciate all the help from this forum.

Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sand, First step is to get some steel wool and thinners to get the red oxide off,it also neutralise's the stripper, then find a automotive paint shop and get some 3M striping disks, they look like plastic brillo pads which go on your drill it will bring the panels up like new.
Then get some lanotec (sheep/wool oil) and cover the bare metal all over, it will stay rust free for months, when you are ready for paint just wipe over with steel wool and thinners.

Good luck

Bruce

grant69

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kustombruce wrote:
I wouldn't sand, First step is to get some steel wool and thinners to get the red oxide off,it also neutralise's the stripper, then find a automotive paint shop and get some 3M striping disks, they look like plastic brillo pads which go on your drill it will bring the panels up like new.
Then get some lanotec (sheep/wool oil) and cover the bare metal all over, it will stay rust free for months, when you are ready for paint just wipe over with steel wool and thinners.

Good luck

Bruce

I agree with Bruce except I use Fish oil, stinks but forms a wax like coating, but I have bare panels still rust free 5 yrs on in "tropical nth qld", saying that I like lanotec for other uses

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce & Grant, have taken note of your suggestions.

Here are some more pics on the progress with Black Beauty. Not really much left of the Black now.....

When it comes to the sanding we will do the undercoat at the same time, after the sanding, this will eliminate the length of time between sanding and coating and hopefully we will prevent surface rust occurring.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy, Good to see things are progressing well.

Have you chosen your new colour yet? or Is it still going to be 'black beauty'

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes she will be as AC/DC say "Back in Black". I will be trying to keep her as original as she was. No mods, just the simple Morris Minor she was.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the progress on our efforts today. Thank goodness we have a long weekend and another next week too. Should be able to get plenty done.

Our Project Manageress…….of all three of our cars, this is the one she loves, she’s in and out of it every time we work on Black Beauty, but doesn’t want anything to do with the other 2 cars. She sleeps under it, in it and on the seat that she has claimed as hers.

Bonus Pascalls Tin 1 LB (hinged lid) found in the boot full of nuts and bolts etc, now on display with my Darcy Doyle tin.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Another long weekend great for more work on Black Beauty Reply with quote

Here are some shots of Black Beauty without her coat. How so cute she looks, can't wait for the next stage. Have some minor bits and pieces to do to her which will happen over the next few weeks, although next long weekend will be busy with other things so she will be rested instead. It will be these fiddly bits that will take time but am looking forward to it.

rascar
Got the keys

Location: Brisbane, QLD Australia. Bingley, West Yorkshire UK.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great updates Nancy,

You guys certainly are getting on with it and your right, that bonus Bonbons tin is a real beauty!

Cheers,
Darrell

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rascar, i love the tin too is runs a close second to my favourite item, the steering wheel. It is in such great condition.

I have today ordered online the 2 panels i need to replace the rusted parts that have been found. The panels are coming from ESM Spares in the UK. So all paid for just have to wait for delivery now.

In the meantime will be getting the windows out next. Haven't had much time lately to spend on Black Beauty and can't wait to get back and do some more with her.

Hope everyone else who is restoring their Minor's are enjoying it as much as i am.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: