Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Fuses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownstump47
I can do it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Fuses Reply with quote

I keep blowing fuses & the wipers, blinkers & washer,fuel gauge will not work. I have looked & cannot see anything wrong. It is the 3 & 4 fuse in a series 2 MM

grant69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should just have two fuses on a std setup, regardless fuses only blow for one reason, excess current, this can be a couple of reasons, too much load, ie you fitted night blinder spotties, or a kickass stereo, or you have a short. If you haven't fitted anything, you will have a short, a common one is bulbs, especially brake lights corroding, but it could be anthing shorting to ground, fuel sender, dash wiring loose, a screw through a wire, unfortunately it will be trial and error to find it, be methodical, replace fuse, check one system ie lights see if fuse blows, and move to the next, it shouldn't take a couple of hours as morry electrics are very simple

zabond
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when does it blow ie:when you use the wipers ect ?as there must be a short in the system or a jamed item[wiper motor]try to isolate which operation is causing the problem,if it blows as you turn on the ignition whith nothing switched on you have a short to ground in main power circuit,maybe a jamed/bare wire going to earth,when did it start hapening?

brownstump47
I can do it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: fuses Reply with quote

Thank you. it only started this morning when i was going for a drive. I came & had lunch then went back to start from lights & I think it was the fuel sender. I pulled the spare tyre out & looked around but nothing unusual. OK at the momem. Yes I only have two fuses it is the one that goes between 3 & 4.

Boeing Bob
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: fuses Reply with quote

brownstump47 wrote:
Thank you. it only started this morning when i was going for a drive. I came & had lunch then went back to start from lights & I think it was the fuel sender. I pulled the spare tyre out & looked around but nothing unusual. OK at the momem. Yes I only have two fuses it is the one that goes between 3 & 4.

On a standard Morris Minor, that fuse feeds the fuel gauge, windscreen wipers, stop lights and trafficators (if fitted). I think that the last one to look at would be the fuel sender as a short there would only cause the fuel gauge to read hard one way all of the time. Wipers and stop lights greater suspects.

Boeing Bob.

brownstump47
I can do it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: fuses Reply with quote

Ok. Looks like I had better look at them & see what is wrong again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: