Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

The state of our roads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » National Rally - Moss Vale NSW 2013
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: The state of our roads Reply with quote

After making it home last night (Wednesday) I can say that the condition of the roads in Qld has to be the worst in the country, in particular the Bruce Highway. The worst bit most likely between Rocky and Brisbane. There would be about 500km of roadworks, all going at the same time, all separate etc. If you think I'm exaggerating, I decided to avoid most of it on the way home and only get to the Bruce highway at childers. first roadworks sign north of Rocky said for next 20km. After that 20km, was another sign that read roadworks next 200km. Like I said, I thought I'd miss most of it on the way back. Having travelled the Bruce highway now twice in the last 6 weeks, it really is nothing but an embarrassment.

I think I have more stonechips on the roof than for any other trip. I'm lucky my windscreen and lights are all in tact. A selection of unsigned patchworks meant several showers of stones in addition to the other poorly signed sections of broken up road and extensive roadworks.

I've just finished giving the car a good wash and the colour of the car was sort of in question. After all the bugs were gone, there was the multitude of stone chips that have been added to significantly by this trip and the extensive array of black tar spots.

Then of course there was the numerous potholes, areas of broken seal and general rough conditions. One of the tasks I now have is reshaping my sump, as it was seriously deformed by one of the humps in the road pushed up by the pothole (my oil level is very high though!)

Anyway, after leaving on Monday after the morning tea, I made it back in 3 days, with just over 1000km on the third day. Total about 5300km for the whole trip. Was a good drive and event, just would have been better if the Bruce highway was more than a goat track.

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it doesn't look nice but I love seeing a Morry covered in stone chips as it shows it gets used Very Happy .

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse
It just cost me a bundle to get the stone chips removed on my van.
I have looked at persplex, a leather car bra and the 3m film car bra to save cost in the long run.

I personally don't like the stone chips.

Regards
Kel

Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know stone chips are part of touring around the country, after 20 years it's hard to find the new ones each time amongst the rest. However this time there would be considerably more. Yes, I definitely have that sandblasted look!

It was the ones bouncing off the windscreen and probably the lights that was more concerning, I hate fitting new windscreens.

Ron Mizi
4th gear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3M make a product called Ventureshield, I haven't seen it or know price of it but it is meant to stop stone chips happening.
Has any body seen it or used it?

Ron

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron
I priced the 3M product for the front of the morrie. The company in Necastle, NSW, quoted me $745 and had to have the car overnight as well as all day.

I priced a carbra, purposed made, because carbra in melbourne didn't have a template for the morrie and the company in Newcastle said approximately $700-$800

I have also been told about the down sides of both.

Regards
Kel

Ron Mizi
4th gear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be happy to pay that sort of money. I would of thought a down side would be after the stones have pitted plastic it would fray and curl up slightly and would look worse than a stone chip.

Ron

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer to the stones chips after a lot of trial and error

Regards
Kel

morris12
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a car bra for sale if interested inbox me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » National Rally - Moss Vale NSW 2013 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: