Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Dutchy's Morris - "Joybell"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dutchy
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Dutchy's Morris - "Joybell" Reply with quote

Just posted in the intro section and now thought I'd add a post about the car with a little more detail (for those who can bothered reading). Here is the Morry as I received it. This pic was taken many years ago.

It's a 1954. When my Nan (Joy) and Pa (Kevin) first owned it the car had an original MM motor. All that got swapped out for a Datsun/Nissan A12 (??) partly I think because they wanted to and partly because it was going to make the trip to the Toowoomba rally that occurred in the 80's?? 1989 maybe?? They also bolted in some Datsun seats to be more comfortable for the trip. Pa affectionately named the Morris "Joybell"

Nan and Pa got a little older and eventually the Morris fell by the wayside. It stayed in their shed for a bit until I ended up living with them for a while. I was riding a motorbike back then but it broke down and I needed to get to work so we fired the old girl up and I drove it for a couple of days between Bendigo and Maryborough (75kms). It held together well enough until on the last trip where the brakes failed and the exhaust fell off. Scary. Thankfully the bike was repaired. The Morris went back to the shed. I told my Nan and Pa that if they ever sold it I would be devastated, and eventually it ended up mine
Very Happy

I got it back to the shed and started pulling it apart. It looked alright until some of the panels come off. Then I started to notice it's more "individual" characteristics. I'll go into more detail as the time goes.

Here it is in it's current condition........

Last edited by Dutchy on Thu May 28, 2015 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkyMark
4th gear

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagerly awaiting the next instalment....and welcome

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch
Great story.

Can't wait until the next part.

It is so good to see people progress on their cars and to see how and which way they are taking their own dreams of what a morry is.

Kel

Monk

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you Dutchy, keep on getting stuck in, there's plenty to do no doubt but it'll be a great project with a good outcome.

Cheers

D

Dutchy
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already done some work before I joined up here so I might just add little bit in dribs and drabs until it comes up to speed

For some weird reason I thought the first thing I would do was strip back the inner wheel guards. I hopped into action with a paint stripper on the angle grinder and rubbed all four back.

I was relieved to find no severe issues. It looked as though the biggest issue I was going to face was the pesky captive nuts for the guards. Some had been destroyed during removal, some were located in areas that actually had a little rust. I decided that since the old girl was no longer original there was plenty of room for change. All the captive nuts that I had access to were removed with the original intention of straight swap for simple nuts/bolts. The only issue was what the hell I was going to do with the captive nuts locked away from reach inside the shell.

Then I remembered the rivnut set I had recently bought and had completely forgotten about. With some minor hole enlargement via a quick drilling, and the use of the rivnut gun I put M6 rivnuts in the body where the captive nuts were removed. Now to deal with the places where the captive nut remained "out of reach". I decided that I could drill them out as well and just throw the rivnut in as is. It sems to have worked a treat. The idea of the rivnut is to expand in the space that you insert them until they lock in place, and apparently this works even if your inserting them into loose old captive nuts. Problem solved.

Here's a pick of the inner guard with the new rivnuts in place....

Here's a couple of before/after close up pics of one of the rivnut replacement. This one took a little more effort due to a sheered nut.

Last edited by Dutchy on Thu May 28, 2015 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dutchy
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of work done to the front end.

This side was the victim of ......... impatience (when I was a little younger). I think this bolt was just never coming off, and then the angle grinder was busted out to assist in negotiations. The bottom end of this guard was just simply rusted and needed repair. So far this is the worst area of rust I've located on the car, so i'm pretty happy with that.

An in the next pics you'll see that my weapon of choice, the angle grinder, has been used to cut out and clean up the area in question. Once I removed the panel I pulled all the crud that had made this little knook it's home. A fair bit of stuff in there had be cleaned out. It has to make you worry what exactly is hiding in these locked up little spaces in Morris Minors. After that was done I tried my hand at my first ever little bit of welding. I bought a gasless MIG a little while ago and decided that i'd have a crack at "learning on the job".

I might leave it at that for tonight. I can't let you guys catch up too quickly or I'll have nothing to talk about when those days/weeks/months pass where I have no money, no time, no patience, and I leave the car untouched in the garage.

MarkyMark
4th gear

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying reading your progress.

I particularly like the rivnut idea, Im sure Im going to have to copy that idea.

Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Can't believe how good the body condition is!!

Dutchy
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to talk about today?????

Here's a doozy of a development. What's wrong with this picture??

I'll use my advanced knowledge of mechanical language to explain..........
It appears as though one of the suspension rod thingy mounts is not located in the usual suspension rod thingy mounts position.

This is one of the few things I've noticed while the Morry is on it's side. If anyone has read my post where I introduce myself they may recall how I (to the best of my knowledge) was the last person to drive this car on a public road. And here it is, missing vital parts. Shocked

Have a look....

This ended up being the easiest one to deal with. Quite some time ago my engineer brother and myself made up a couple of replacements for both mounts. All I did was grind down the old rail so I could fit the new mount on and the job was done. Then I moved onto the next one.........

This one was little more concerning. It appeared to have a bit of rust around it so the idea was to cut that section out, clean up what needed cleaning, seal the metal with a dab of whatever paint was around to try and avoid further rust and then weld the new mount over the top. I started to make my first cut and the grinder went through like a hot knife through butter, dust went everywhere, and I could smell a familiar, almost plastery smell. Bog Mad

Judging by the rubbish left behind in the space I'd say the old "steel wool" method of body repairs may have been utilised. All offending abominations to structural integrity were promptly removed and I replaced the more absent parts of the structure with a remarkable new novelty material I had laying about the shed...........metal. In this pic the repairs are only partially completed. I went over it a couple of times with the welder and then ground it back again.

And now here are the new mounts in place....

Well, that's it for today. Catchya later,

Dutchy

Bally
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Dutchy's rivnuts Reply with quote

G day all
Anybody looking fot rivnuts and having trouble locating them may find the attached link useful. I have been using them for yonks and they are tops. Some (I can't remember the brand are serated to provide better grip after setting the insert).
Cheers Bob

http://www.avdel-global.com/en/products/threaded-inserts/thin-sheet-nutsertr.html

Dutchy
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dutchy's rivnuts Reply with quote

Bally wrote:
G day all
Anybody looking fot rivnuts and having trouble locating them may find the attached link useful. I have been using them for yonks and they are tops. Some (I can't remember the brand are serated to provide better grip after setting the insert).
Cheers Bob
http://www.avdel-global.com/en/products/threaded-inserts/thin-sheet-nutsertr.html

Also search "rivnuts" on ebay. All different shapes, sizes and materials available including serrated high flange.

MarkyMark
4th gear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates Dutchy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: