Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Indicator visibility - at night in particular

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
translateltd
Got the keys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Indicator visibility - at night in particular Reply with quote

Anyone have problems with people failing to see winking indicators, especially at night? (I know hardly anyone notices trafficators any more but that's a side issue - literally.)

I find the slight increase in intensity in the white side light when it flashes just isn't enough to be noticed, and other drivers think I'm not signalling at all. I don't really want to make the car non-original by drilling the wings and fitting separate, more modern-looking indicators, but keen to know what solutions others have found.

The car is a 1962 1000, 4-door, for good measure.

grant69

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before orange bulbs were available I used model paint to paint my indicator bulbs a bright yellow, but you can buy stock orange bulbs now

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could move the side lights into the headlights & then have standalone flashers in the guards.

Bally
At rest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: indicator visibility Reply with quote

G'day all
If you are going to follow Scots suggestion try to fit dual filament 21W/5W and wire them to come on together. Makes for a 26 watt output and for the duty cycle overheating won't be a problem. I have fitted the 21/5 dual filament lights shown in the link wired like this and they are quite bright.
Cheers Bob
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=TURN%20SIGNAL%20DUAL%20ELEMENT%20HR%2013302%20MTS%20STREET%20ROD%20SET%20OF%202&_itemId=151595282654

grant69

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or go angel eyes which is what I have fitted now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Halogen-H4-12V-Headlight-Headlamp-White-LED-Halo-Angel-Eyes-Light-Bulbs-Pair-/331296489152?hash=item4d22cf3ec0&vxp=mtr

translateltd
Got the keys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - I think the standalone flasher option is going to be the most practical. Anything involving just a change of intensity is not going to be noticed. At the back I may need to bite the bullet and fit a high stop light with built-in flashers, even though it's likely to be both ugly and obtrusive.

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

translateltd wrote:
At the back I may need to bite the bullet and fit a high stop light with built-in flashers, even though it's likely to be both ugly and obtrusive.
To avoid the appearance of additional bolt on lights, I resorted to fitting stop/indicator lights in the back window on my first lowlight back in the mid '80s. I made up brackets so they bolted/screwed to the rear parcel shelf.
They were just old type round Hella type lights with festoon globes but they were easily seen when in use & not too obvious when not in use.

With todays smaller/brighter LED lights, you could do something similar if you really want to avoid bolting extra lights to the body.

Lukezaid
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those modern leds a quiet good and bright. Maybe hiding a pair behind the grille so that they are hidden but at night would be easily seen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: