Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Improving night vision in the Morrie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregor1053
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Improving night vision in the Morrie Reply with quote

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if my questions seem dumb.

I had a Morris 1000 as a teenager and 50 years later am managing a restoration project on "Doris", a '59 1000 4 door at my local Men's Shed in Berwick, Victoria.

Is there a simple, cost effective headlight conversion to give brighter night vision?

Is there a simple, cost effective conversion to add flashing indicators to the vehicle? I was considering a pair of motorcycle LEDs in the back window and the front ones behind the grille.

Any other thoughts on improving brightness of tail lights and brake lights?

We are planning to keep the car looking as stock as possible. Shocked

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to this forum lots of experience here do not be afraid to ask.
I changed my headlights to ones with parking lights built in, then used the existing parking lights with orange painted lamps ( same opaque lenses)for indicators. I fitted bigger halogen lamps in the semi-sealed headlights,
For the rear I bought small twin globe orange clearance lamps hanging under the rear bar on 3 inch door hinges sideways, when showing the car I fold them up and car looks "standard" front and rear.
I used the existing indicator arm, wiring to lights went through the body.

gregor1053
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info John. Have you converted to an alternator or are you still running a gennie? If you are using an alternator what brand/model is recommended as an easy fit and is readily available at a reasonable price? Shocked

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a late run from Sydney to Dubbo one Australia Day I found I was using more amps than the 28 amp D40 genny was making, in fact when I turned the car off a home it would not start.
So I fitted a new Sprite/Mini Lucas 40 amp alternator, that I bought on e-bay.
I just connected the two wires on the alternator then with the regulator I removed it stripped the inside out then joined the first two contacts together on the rear, join the next two on the back together and fitted a tail on the last terminal connected to the body behind.
With the "dummy'" regulator in place and the coil mounted over the alternator it looks quite standard,

gregor1053
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John.

I was just looking at an old thread re alternators and it suggested a Lucas 15 ACR alternator. (not sure of the amperage) and it also said the 16, 17 or 18 ACRs will fit but the output may be too high for the wiring to handle.
I just found a 15 ACR for sale here in Melbourne for $70, but obviously have no idea if it is working.

Cheers

Greg Eye Rolls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: