Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

My Morry story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Septua86
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: My Morry story. Reply with quote

Years ago, my daughter was restoring a Morris 1000. I bought her a second car to cannibalise as parts for hers. Nothing happened for a long time and after watching her trying to sell both vehicles with no success, I offered to take the second one on as a project. She gave it to me as my 70th birthday present. (Had to put back all the parts she had plundered, of course.) So I became the proud owner of a 1955 Series 11, 4 Door Sedan, original colour Champagne Ivory. Motor and transmission in good nick, rust in all the usual places, but generally a sound body. It's a five year project (barring, of course, the right six numbers any Saturday night) which started in June this year. Below is what it looked like in Perth before trailering to Albany. I enjoy reading posts to the Forum.
Cheers
John

Scouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the present colour scheme Embarassed , it looks like a reasonably sound basis for a good car.

What's the plan of attack then ?

Just be careful though John, you'll get the Morry finished & then your daughter will fall in love with it & want it back !!
Very Happy Very Happy

Septua86
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: My Morry Story Reply with quote

Scott
Most of the "colour scheme" is gone - back to bare metal. Found a heap of bog!!! Have stripped everything. It's a shell. Have bought one lot of replacement panels etc from ESM. (6 days UK to Albany!!) Am on my second welding course at local TAFE college. Did basic ARC, now doing MIG and will do OXY next term. Hopefully will have enough knowledge to do some of the cutting and welding myself. That's the plan. anyway.
Will give some thought to the daughter wanting it back. Thanks for the warning.
John

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIG is the way to go (unless you have access to TIG).
I did one side of my van cab floor by Oxy & then bought a MIG welder & did the other half. MIG is so much easier & quicker with a lot less distortion.
I haven't used the oxy for welding since then.

Septua86
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: My Morry Story Reply with quote

Thanks Scott.
I agree, Mig is the way to go. Currently looking in the "For Sales" for a second hand Mig. There were a couple in today at around $300. Any advice on buying second hand?
John

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gas MIG rather than gasless is supposed to be a better unit.
I bought mine 12 years ago for around $600. Mine's a Unimig of 110 or 120 amp.
Here a newer version of mine:

Practical Classics (UK magazine) did a test on these a while back & (from memory) a rebranded Unimig came near top.

0.6mm wire is a good size for Morry metal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: