Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

electrical help plzzzzzz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pash
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: electrical help plzzzzzz Reply with quote

hi Guys,

im just finishing off my morris so that the engineer can have a look at it.

so im setting up a demister, radio, cigerette lighter and other bits and pieces.

now to keep things simple i want to set up a dato sunny fuse box.

where should i get the power source from to the fuse box? i rekon from the ignition.

is there a need to run any relays?

is a smiths demister a 9v or 12v?

i have a dato engine that was installed some years ago that has welded engine mounts, is there any possibilty that it will pass engineer in nsw. has been registered in vic before.

cheers

michael

Scouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the Sunny fusebox before but as long as it has enough fuses for you, it will be OK.
I used a Bluebird one. It has around 12 fuses & spaces to mount 4 relays.

Your fuse box will need power from both ign & the battery.
Ign for: demister & other engine related items (thermo fan, wipers, brake lights, ignition circuit)
Battery for: head/tail lights, horn, interior lights

The radio can be wired to battery or ign, depending on how you want it operated. Same for the ciggy lighter.

The demister fan shouldn't need a relay. If you're upgrading the lights & horn, then fit a relay to those. If going with big headlights, then use 2 relays (one each for low & high).
If using a thermo fan, that will need a relay too.

Check with the engineer regarding the mounts. Chances are he won't pass them but everyone seems to be different.
Take some photos around to him if you can't take the car at the moment. Are they cut down Minor mounts or made from scratch?

Pash
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info scott.

im not to sure what the mounts are from or if they are made from scratch but the welding is perfect. must have been done by a pro.

thats how i bought the car unregistered.

the fusebox that i have has 8 or 10 fuses. im planning to leave the headlights and horn on the original fuse.

the fuse box is going to be for the wipers, demister, radio, blinkers, thermo fan and cigg lighter.

so the only thind that i need to do is run a wire from the ignition to the fuse box.

Scouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headlights were never originally on a fuse.
Any upgrade from the original BPF globes, including sealed beams, will place extra load on the switch. Relays will save the switch.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not put all that electrical load through ignition switch it will burn out
Take wire 6mm from battery to fuse block ( as per brown wire already there) any item you want ignition controlled use a relay . Yellow Sedan Yellow Ute Eye Rolls Very Happy

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man it's pretty hard to explain electrics on here.

As Scott said i would run headlights & thermo through a relay, the rest you have to decide whether you want to run it while the engine is running or not, i put an on off switch in my 4 dr that is like an exces on a keyed ignition, i can run the radio, lighter to charge a mobile etc while the cars not running, then flick the switch to turn everything off.
From memory on the sunny fusebox you cant remove the original wires so you will have heaps of joins. Sigmas are good as they have an internal test light to test every fuse in place.
Ive used both in the past, but these days you can buy neat fuse boxes at any auto parts, there cheap, new & easy spade connections, some even have neat clear covers.

Trev
Aus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: