Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

1951 4AGE powered Morris Minor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twincam89
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: 1951 4AGE powered Morris Minor Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Heres some pictures of my 1951 Morris Minor. Currently it has mgb front disc brakes, mgb 3.90 rear end, mgb master cylinder, widened wheels (minor centers mgb outer rims), a 1987 4AGE from a toyota mr2, t50 5 speed. The motor is basically stock except for the removal of all the smog equipment, and i made a header and exhaust for it. The intake is slightly modified. Running on stock toyota management.

Its lowered 3 inches in the front and 1.5 in the back. I made some traction bars (slappers) for the back.

This car is FUN! I finished it a few months ago, and drive it everyday. I've driven it up and down the coast of California with no problems. I have around 1500 miles on the conversion. I haven't done any tests, but i would say it will do 0-60 in around 7 seconds.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fun machine Very Happy they rev nice ay Very Happy
Trev
Aus

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good mate!

just needs a lick of paint, and she'll be a tough looknig car with the go to boot.

Skidmond
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm, a sleeper. nice work.

do you have any other modifications planned?

twincam89
Got the keys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the wiring harness that i got was in pretty nasty condition so i've though about remaking the wiring harness or even converting to mega squirt management.

I've thought about doing a turbo setup later on down the road but to be honest, I'm ready to start another major project. I'm just really enjoying putting a lot of miles on the car the way it is now.

But yeah, its definitely a sleeper, catches a lot of people off guard at the lights.

Hellfish
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great car, Downs! I saw you used an MR2 engine and a Corolla? trans, and a MGB rear. What year MGB? Did you have any trouble fitting it?

twincam89
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i used a corolla trans which came out of a 4ac rwd car. Good thing is the 4ac motor only has around 70-80 hp i believe so the odds that even a high mileage car will have a good trans is pretty likely. AE86 corollas, a much heavier car than the minor, have been known to use the t50 in cases where upwards of 200 hp were achieved.

As for the rear end, i believe that MG used the same rear end on all of its B's. The rear end is more narrow than stock minor by an inch or two, but its really not a big deal. If you have an early Morris (pre 54?) the stud pattern is the same as the MGBs so the stock wheels COULD be used. IF not then the front hubs need to be switched out for a later set of brakes with a 4.5 inch pcd. I adapted the front to MGB disc brakes as well ( required machining new spindles, designing caliper mounts, etc.) As for my wheels, they're stock Morris centers with reversed rim mgb outers. I had to use to used 1/4 inch spacers on the back, due to the increased tire bulge).

Hellfish
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! My wife's car is a 1958. I'm just doing some research for her since I'm near a computer all day. I'm used to much bigger cars. Very Happy

Is there a disk kit for these cars? I don't know if I could pull off the fabrication required to design my own brakes... and still feel safe. Yellow Convertible

twincam89
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well late model spridget disc brakes can be used on the stock minor spindles, and caliper mounts for this conversion can be bought at minimania.com (located in nevada).

The problem with sprite disc brakes is they suck, at least in my opinion. My two biggest problems with them are that they use ball bearing wheel bearings instead of needle, and the calipers really aren't that great. My dad has them on his '60 bug eye and they really don't work very well at all, even for as light as that car is.

What you can do is use the mgb calipers with the sprite hubs and discs. I'd also recommend a dual circuit master cylinder.

Oh yeah as for fitting of the rear end, its really not a huge ordeal. The axle tubes are much wider diameter, so youll need bigger u-bolts. The spring perches need to be cut off and welded in the right locations. You'll need to remake the u-bolt pads most likely as the mgb springs are much wider. The shock mounts need to modified. Good news about this conversion is the stock drive line doesn't need any modifications at all.

grant69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a read of our mechanical section, there is a sticky on fitting discs

twincam89
Got the keys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my morris in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLYnDzT98FM

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to contradicte but I have a set here of Sprite hubs discs and calipers. The hubs have needle roller bearings. However I will fit ball bearings.
Also have pattern for horseshoe brackett. Yellow Sedan Blue Ute Eye Rolls Very Happy

Last edited by John Ballard on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
twincam89
Got the keys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, i guess they did have some hubs with needle bearings. The sprite hubs my dad had lying around were spherical ball. The problem is they cant take as great of a radial load as needle bearings can. Probably fine for a light Morris minor though

51 MMmmm
5th gear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
any updates on the minor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: