Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

New ute!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skidmond wrote:
well, what do you know.

thats my old ute.....

I bought it in 1997 and it was green when we bought it. The paint was all crazy cracked so I stripped it back to bare metal and a friend of mine who was a panel beater straightened it all out and then another mae of mne with a paint/panel shop painted it for me in straight black, 2 pak. It had the auto and 1200 in it when I bought it. Unfortunately, I had to sel it before I got it finished and it was sold to a friend of mine that was also in the Ipswich Morris Minor club.

He finished it off, doing the brakes and some electrical work and he made a wooden tray for it.

It wasn't long after he got it on the road and he got T boned at an intersection, not his fault and it was fixed under insurance at Ipswich.

I heard that he sold t not long after that and I never knew where it went.

I have some old pictures in storage of it when I started the project. I will be getting them out of storage in a month or so, so I can post some up for you if you like.

BTW, the original number plate for that particular vehicle is NAR044, one of the first black and white plates. I think I still have the plates here with me, would you be interested in them?

good luck with the project, you got a bargain. I will watch this thread with interest.

Wow thats amazing! Ellie was floored with your response. Always nice to know some sort of history about the car.

Would love the original plates! don't know if we'd be able to register them with Queensland Transport but?

Didn't know about the t-bone, hope your mate has made a full recovery. No signs of any repair to the car, so must have been a good repair? Or the whole cab was replaced?

Photo's would be great, and if your mates are still in the panel and paint industry, would love to get in touch to give the car another make over. Not that i'm after a discount, but more for the fact that they have worked on the car previously, and must be local i guess?

The people who we bought it off have let it sit in the weather for 9 months, after it wouldn't start one day because of the formentioned electrical problems and I believe the rust that is in it now is because of it.

On another note, the wiring kit turned up from ebay, it for the price is excellent. So the enginebay and cabin wiring will be redone, while the rear electrical will be left as is, since it is still in good condition.

Skidmond
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to wait and see if I still have the rego plates in storage. Should know in a month or so when we get everything out. If I sign a form to transfer them into your name, then you will be able to put them back on the car as we had them personalised.

The accident was probably in about 1998 or 1999 and I dont recall him getting hurt. I think he was hit in the side of the tray, there was some minor damage to the cab but and the chassis was damaged but it was repaired by a reputable crash repairer in Ipswich, J Thomas & Sons at Churchill.

Is the engine block still purple??

My mate that did the panel work has moved to Nth Qld last I heard and he wasnt into MM's so you wont find him on here. The painter has also moved on and has sold his business, it was Westside Paint and Panel at West Ipswich behind the cemetry.

this is the only pic I have here at home....my lovely wife put an album together for me before we moved of all my pride and joys from Qld before we moved to Tassie and I found a pic of the ol' ute in there.

I have some better ones in storage and will post them up for you.

cheers

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup engine is still purple! lol, that just proves you used to own it Yellow Convertible It will be removed soon though as its starting to blow a bit of smoke, will replace it with an A14/15 for the short term and see where i go after that.

My mate at work has put me onto a old school panel beater in ipswich which ill be chasing up when i get it on the road.

The ute is looking great in that picture! It is a pity it has deterioated a bit since that time. But i'm planning a full proper restore now. Ideally with the proper ute tub on the rear. But i'm not to bothered since the tray looks good as well.

Skidmond
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the paint was absolutely perfect when it was done. that picture was probably about 2 or 3 weeks after it was painted as the lights/grill and bumper was back on.

best of luck and I will post some more pics when I find them Very Happy Very Happy

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skidmond wrote:
the paint was absolutely perfect when it was done. that picture was probably about 2 or 3 weeks after it was painted as the lights/grill and bumper was back on.

best of luck and I will post some more pics when I find them Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks mate Very HappyVery Happy

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i'd post up some updated pictures....

All the old wiring has been removed, decided to keep the rear wiring alone as it appears to be in good order (rear lights, indicators and fuel sender)

The Auto wiring will be redone, and everything from the dash to the front lights is being redone as well.

The wiring kit and the fuse block, i think i'm going to place them where the original voltage regulator used to live. It is a dry spot in the engine bay, and easy to get to. Otherwise, i'll see if there is a nice spot under the dash to install it.

Pictures:

Picture of Ellies car:

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some further tidying of the wiring on the car today. Very unexciting stuff.
So far i've traced all the wiring off the auto, so now the inhibitor switch works, reverse light switch works, and the kickdown solenoid works. The kickdown doesn't look like it has ever been wired, so i'll be wiring it in, i'd imagine should liven up the auto a little bit.

Pulled out the wiper motor, as it failed to turn over. Discovered, that it was fairly solidly seized as water has made its way into it sometime in its life. As such, i am after a new wiper motor.

I also got a morris major column off sir frosty, but lacking the mounts, and me thinking that an early model steerng column shaft, will fit a later model column, i was well mistaken.

So i'm on the hunt for another later model morris column, or goto plan #2 and mod in a mazda column.

Skidmond
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some pics I found of the rebuild.

this is how it was when we bought it. The paint was crazy cracked and it didnt have the original tray, but it had an approved Datsun 1200 engine and auto box so it was a good place to start a project

so it was stripped to bare metal inside and out and the tray was sold off to another club member

so after it was back to bare metal, the inside was painted at home in the garage and the engine reinstalled so I could drive it around (on and off the trailer etc)

and I took it to a panel shop and had the straight black 2 pack applied in a spray oven, this is it all ready for the professional guys

now back home and have installed most of the brightware on the front etc

and pretty much how it was sold as an unfinished project

its nice to see it go to a good home where it will be used.

cheers

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow mate that looks awesome! i don't know about you but i rather like that other tray. : )

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went down to the wreckers in the hunt for a new steering column.

Found a nice candidate, a Ford KB Laser.
From which i got this:

The KA/KB lasers are the preferred columns for this conversion, as they are non adjustable which makes them easier to mount. I got the whole column, and the joint into the steering rack from the wreck.

This column has the master spline discussed earlier, which needs to be removed. I did this by getting the joint, putting it off centre to the master spline, and slowly ramming it into the column. This effectively cut a new spline ready to bolt into the morris rack.

The mounting bracket, upon inspection, can easily see how this would fold in an accident.

Removed the lower needle bearing, you can see how the columns are made of different circumferences, which would collapse upon impact. Also removed the ignition barrel as, i didn't have a key for this column, so made it useless.

Column mounted in the car, and with me sitting in the car, plenty of room (with the stock banana laser wheel)

These two pictures show where the bracket needs to be made, and comparing it with the stock column bracket which was used on the morris column.

The choice i have now for mounting the column are to either:
a) make a mount
b) make a sleeve to an interference fit with the stock mount
c) find a later model morris mount which uses a clamp arrangement to fit the column.

Cost for column $35

So now i'm on the hunt for a Ford Laser KB steering wheel hub adapter, to mount a nice wheel, finish off the mount, and then the wiring can be completed.

Mechanic Kitteh approves!

RussLCV

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a 1954? looks more like a 1955, can you e-mail me chassis number details?

Thanks will confirm exact year then

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, do you have a wiring diagram for the Laser column ?
I am about to do the Laser column conversion and cant find a wiring diagram .

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussLCV wrote:
Is it a 1954? looks more like a 1955, can you e-mail me chassis number details?

Thanks will confirm exact year then

I believe ellie has already posted them up earlier, i'll have to chase it up.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacky wrote:
Richard, do you have a wiring diagram for the Laser column ?
I am about to do the Laser column conversion and cant find a wiring diagram .

No sorry, don't have a digram, i was going to trace them this weekend and write them all down, not hard to do with a multimeter.

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could send me a copy or post them up here ???

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacky wrote:
Any chance you could send me a copy or post them up here ???

I can, but it might not help you. Mine is a KB Laser column, the colours for the wires may be different between the models.

Honestly though, not hard to do with a multimeter and continuity checking, or even a check light.

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote:
I can, but it might not help you. Mine is a KB Laser column, the colours for the wires may be different between the models.

Honestly though, not hard to do with a multimeter and continuity checking, or even a check light.

yeah I know , i'm just being lazy. Very Happy

tonynoosa
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: re rego Reply with quote

Long before I got Morrised I had alove affair with an FJ holden (1988) and i had with it the orgional Q plate and I wanted to keep it on the car .
So off to the Main Roads in Spring Hill and as it had not been used for 6 years here is what they wanted.
6 years of full rego backpaid......yep ins as well ...went over to the Suncorp ins that was in the building and ended up donateing $10 to a Charity to get a slip of paper that said I was fully ins for the period.
Then paid what was a hell of a lot back then (about $380) i think and away i went with the car regoed..
I drove the car there on a day pass with the rego plate on and all roadworthy papers and part of the fight was the fact that they had accepted the plate on the day pass.
It was a fight.
What may happen is they may require you to get the plate as a personal ..big $'s these days..
1 can only try....
GOOD LUCK

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacky wrote:
-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote:

yeah I know , i'm just being lazy. Very Happy

Okay, i've just traced all the wires on my column off the Laser, these may/maynot help you. Do double check them before using them, i take no responsibility if you set your car on fire, etc.

Colour chart:
Bl - Black
B - Blue
R - Red
Gr - Green
Y - Yellow
Br - Brown

4 connectors in total, 2 prong, 4 prong, 6 prong, 8 prong.

2 prong:
Large Wh: from lights circuit (powers parkers and brake lights)
Wh/Bl: from lights circuit (powers low/high beam)

4 prong:
Gr: to horn (grounds through horn button on steering wheel)
R/Bl: to rearlights/parkers (power from Large Wh of 2 prong)
R/Wh: to highbeam (power from Wh/Bl of 2 prong)
R/B: to lowbeam (power from Wh/Bl of 2 prong)

6 prong:
Bl: from wiper circuit (2 black wires)
B/Br: Not Connected
B/Y: to washer (power from 2 Bl wires)
B/Gr: ground ??? (connects to B/Wh wire when switch set to off, assume ground for park position)
B/Wh: to wiper, speed 1 (power from 2 Bl wires)
B/R: to wiper, speed 2 (power from 2 Bl wires)

8 prong (2 prongs no connected):
Gr/R: from Flasher circuit (powers both indicator circuits)
Gr/B: to right indicator (power from Gr/R wire)
Gr/Wh: to left indicator (power from Gr/R wire)
Gr/Y: from ignition (supplies ignition to Wh/R wire, when hazard switch in off position)
Wh/B: from battery (supplies battery to Wh/R wire, when hazard switch in on position)
Wh/R: to Flasher circuit (power from either Gr/Y or Wh/B wires)

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your a champ mate, I am away working this week, when I get home I will compare them .

Skidmond
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: re rego Reply with quote

tonynoosa wrote:
Long before I got Morrised I had alove affair with an FJ holden (1988) and i had with it the orgional Q plate and I wanted to keep it on the car .
So off to the Main Roads in Spring Hill and as it had not been used for 6 years here is what they wanted.
6 years of full rego backpaid......yep ins as well ...went over to the Suncorp ins that was in the building and ended up donateing $10 to a Charity to get a slip of paper that said I was fully ins for the period.
Then paid what was a hell of a lot back then (about $380) i think and away i went with the car regoed..
I drove the car there on a day pass with the rego plate on and all roadworthy papers and part of the fight was the fact that they had accepted the plate on the day pass.
It was a fight.
What may happen is they may require you to get the plate as a personal ..big $'s these days..
1 can only try....
GOOD LUCK

Tony,

this ute didnt have the old Q plate, it was pretty much the first of the 'new' black and white plates being NAR044 which was with some paperwork I got with the car when I bought it. That also meant that the car was 1954 as thats about when they changed from Q plates to the new 3 letter/3 number system. I had the exact date when they changed in an old book but I cant find it now.

I personalised the NAR044 plate about 10 years ago when I bought the ute which means that I own the plate and can use it on any car or sell it and the new owner can use it for any car. QT cant reissue the plate or duplicate it, theres only one.

hope that helps

cheers Very Happy

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a lot done this week, being off work i have plenty of things to finish around the house.

-Redid the rear taillights and number plate holder
-redid all the wiring looms front to rear
-completed the ford laser steering column conversion

Pictures:

Things left to do before RWC:
-give the car a service
-wire in the kickdown switch (have to make a mount)
-give the car a clean

I'll be waiting until the new year until all the workshops re-open, and then get a roadworthy guy to come out and sign the car off.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadworthy is booked for thursday, hopefully goes off without a hitch

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
I can steer now

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadworthy done, Rego completed!

As a big first drive, i drove it from oxley to the northside and back, and it didn't miss a beat.

Heaps of little rattles to fix, needs a radiator flush, and all the fluids changed. But overall, ran excellent!

Seems to be a little thursty with the fuel, and pings a little, but a little tuning will fix that up.

Doing another big run upto Caboolture on Sunday.

Overall very happy to have it on the road, the most expensive part so far has been the rego/insurance/roadworthy.

Rego was $600 (includes registration fee)
Insurance was $225 (shannons insurance agreed value)
RWC was $100 (mobile guy, darra mechanical)

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: