Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

My New Morrie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregP
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: My New Morrie Reply with quote

Thought some might be interested to learn that my new Morrie will be landed in Aus. on 12th January ... she's a 1970 Traveller, ex-UK, with Ford Sierra front discs and 1275 MG Midget engine. The engineer's report finds little wrong with her (?please Lord?!).

I'll be fitting a brake booster (VH44), tele shocks all round, mild head job and cam and a 45DCOE Weber on comp manifold. Then widened chromed 'steelies' (around 51/2"- 6") then repaint (Rosa Corsa perhaps) and oatmeal or similar interior.

[This probably amounts to a return to my youth (second childhood perhaps?!) as my first car as a 17 year-old second year apprentice aircraft engineer was a 1955 four door sedan. I pulled the 803 and replaced it with a worked 1500 out of something or other(?). It worked really well until i blew it up 'spiriting' off from the lights on the way to work one afternoon ... a lower piston ring seized, the rod parted company with the piston and the flogging free end went through the block knocking out a fifty cent sized piece of cylinder wall. End of engine .. end of my love affair with Morries, sadly. And just as well my master of apprentices didn't find out that the engine I'd rebuilt died so violent a death!]

In any event, any suggestions about fitting a third brake light to the Traveller?

Cheers

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G’day Greg

Welcome to the wonderful world of Morris Down Under and congratulations on the imminent arrival your new toy, it sounds interesting. Pictures would be good when it arrives.
You are like quite a few of us who had a Morry as their first car and have comeback to them later in life.
There is plenty of help on hear, anything you can think of someone has probably tried or knows of someone who has.
Good luck with your Morry when it arrives.

Cheers
Graham
Very Happy Blue Sedan Very Happy

Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg
Good to see a newbie.
Third brake lights??

I can think of a few options
1. Hidden in the reflectors with Hi output LED's
2. Rebate one into the timber frame
3. cheap and nasty black one from Sup#r che#p
4. nice small billet one

look around and do some web searches to see what is out there

Bruce

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg

Good to hear that another morrie will be on our shores soon. Did I understand you right when you say you have just imported it from the UK. If so , what was the shipping cost.

Cheers

Libbor

Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to would like an Idea on the cost involved in shipping form the UK. I want to import a K8 Austin Truck, so some idea on cost would be helpful. I don't need to know the cost of the traveler.

*edit by frosty

Bruce

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know how much it costs to actually get a car landed here ie after shipping, tax, brokers fees! the actual import process and recommended brokers would be an awesome sticky to have!

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus 1

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but plus 2
Its always a reasonable request in my opinion to share experiences as it is informative to all those who have had the same consideration,can save a lot of heart ache by being aware of others experiences and is just purely fun to share information.

*edit by frosty

Rob Spratt
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested as to the costs of inporting. I'm thinking of doing the same on a trip back to the UK this year. SO are you going to tell us or what !!! A friend of a friend reckons it's about 10-12000 dollars, are we in the ball park.
Rob

Scouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Spratt wrote:
I'm interested as to the costs of inporting. I'm thinking of doing the same on a trip back to the UK this year. SO are you going to tell us or what !!! A friend of a friend reckons it's about 10-12000 dollars, are we in the ball park.
Rob
From what I've heard from those who have done this, it's surprisingly cheap, maybe $2-3000.
The headache starts as you need to have owned the car in the UK for at least 1 year in order to bring the car out here as your own.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woooow the travelers are coming out of the woodwork pmsl Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Trev
Aus

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Rob Spratt wrote:
Rob
From what I've heard from those who have done this, it's surprisingly cheap, maybe $2-3000.
The headache starts as you need to have owned the car in the UK for at least 1 year in order to bring the car out here as your own.

pull the motor & box out & bring it in as parts Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Trev
Aus

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hardly think that $3000 would be the cost from the UK. It costs about $3000 from New Zealand so UK will probably be around $10000 by the time its landed.

* edit by frosty
Libbor

Last edited by libbor on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*edit by frosty

Turns out that a lot of other members like me were more interested in the actual importation process and cost, rather than the morry itself. A good question I asked I think and I am still interested to know the answer.

cheers

Libbor

st6364
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know the cost of importing a car from the UK. The shipping fees especially. I have imported a car from the USA before, it would be interesting to know how the shipping costs compare. I can give you a run down of costs and process of importing a car as they are the same if the car came from the US or UK.
Scott

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original post .
You can buy a car in UK and ship it out.
There are lots of things to do Here a just a few.
Talk to customs.
Talk to shipping agents.
Car has to be proffessionly cleaned inside and out on departure and arrival.
Old classic cars are easier to import as it is assumed there is no profit in reselling.
Some ports are cheaper to unload in. (i.e Brisbane cheaper than Sydney)
Shipping agents can help with all of this
Most prices I have found are around $3000 from UK or U.S.A.
Hope this helps calm the waters.

Shawn
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding a brake light:

There's an ebay seller - virtualvillage-OZ-alpha (i'm sure there's others as well) that does a good line on LED bulbs and strip lights. I picked up a red 12v 12 LED strip delivered for under $14. A small custom housing and you can have a bright, unobtrusive third brake light. Mine's about 12mm x 150mm, you barely see it in the rear vision mirror.

Another option is a late model spoiler brake light from the wreckers, mounted in the same way.

I haven't worked on a traveller before, but I'd look at mounting it vertically on the inside of one of the rear doors - you'd only need a couple of tiny screws - they weigh next to nothing.

tortron
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its about 3 to 4000 to get a car landed in nz from japan and put through certification etc

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* edit by frosty

I would still like to know what our new member paid for the importation, and not the value of his morrie. It would be good if he could tell us the process he went through up till now and to some extent what he still has to go through, ie customs, transportation in Australia etc

Take care all

Libbor

Scouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick Google search has found this:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showpost.php?s=6127984136882dd66295d0eff423807a&p=404593&postcount=149

I enquired about shipping my own car from the UK to Australia a few years ago and we're talking <$3000

Boeing Bob
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sincere apologies to everybody for once again sticking my bib in where it wasn't needed and succeeding in doing nothing more than stirring you all up. That was the furthest thing from my mind. Maybe I own the wrong type of hobby car for my warped sense of humour.

Boeing Bob.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did it cost you and was it a hassle?

There is a guy over there that has a morrie collection to sell. I made enquiries as to what it would cost me to get them over. The best price I could get was 4 cars in a container for $9000 aud

Has anyone got any better ideas

Libbor

st6364
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$9000 for a container sounds very expensive. A 40ft container from the US costs around $5000 USD and you can fit 4 cars in that. It costs around $3000 to $3500 to ship a car from the US(west coast) to Sydney, that's on consignment. Then you have all the fees at this end, freight handling, customs and quarantine inspections and of course GST. GST is calculated on the purchase price at the exchange rate of the date the ship docks, not the date of purchase of the car. Another cost can be cleaning of the car, but if your car is clean they don't have to be cleaned out here. The car I brought in from the USA in Novemeber 08 wasn't cleaned in the US or out here. I can give you exact figures of what I paid if you are interested.

One thing that is very important is that you get import approval on your car before it arrives in OZ, you just fill out a form and send it off and pay the $50 fee.

Boeing Bob I would be interested in Shipping costs from NZ.

Cause the other costs you pay over here are standard costs, doesn't matter where the car comes from, US, UK or NZ.

Have a look at http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_09.pdf this will tell you all you need to know about importing a car

Scott

Rob Spratt
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not getting into any arguments on this forum. All I want to know is how much the cost was so I could weigh up if it would be finacially viable for me to do it. I also believe you do not have to own the car in the UK for a year if it's over a certain age, and taking the motor out and shipping it seperatly sounds a good way to go, especially if your going to take it out when it gets here anyway.

Rob

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob

I have looked into it a bit and bringing a car in from the uk is generally no worth it. Yes, they do have the later series over there but the bodies are nearly always eaten out with rust. Much much worse than ours. I was going to bring a traveller over as they are a rare as rocking horse poo over here but its just not a viable proposition.

They are getting rid of a lot of vehicles over there with there scrappage scheme. Once the government has paid out the money to the owner after they have traded the car in on a new car, that car can never be registered on the UK roads again, no iffs, no butts. So if you were to get onto a decent scrappage car I am sure there would be no probs in exporting it here. After all, all the UK wants is it of their roads. And exporting it satisfies that

Libbor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: