Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Having a go at restoration
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Having a go at restoration Reply with quote

I am picking this up on Sunday after a very rash bidding war on e bay. There as a threat that "my place bid now finger" will be cut off soon and I did get a look of " you can't even change a light bulb" when I said I was going to try and restore this, but I just thought it looked cute. I have stocked up on coffee and a few bottles of Bundy for him. It is a great thing he works long hours so I can tinker along and hopefully not make too many mistakes.

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you and your new project,I bet you'll be in for a few surprises but very few problems cant be beat so just keep on keeping on,there's plenty of advice and info here,as I found out, so dont be afraid to ask,nothing is stupid or dumb..and blonde just means your hair will look dirtier when you climb out from underneath.

frosty

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck
If the boot is still the original one from the car, then, as it's quite rusty, have a really good look over for other rust in the car.

My first suggestion is to join a morris club and find out who is best to get reasonably priced parts as there are a lot of cowboys out there who just love novices and charge accordingly. Even some people in some clubs sweet talk you so you only buy off them.
Beware.
Shop around.
Ask around.
If in doubt ... ask here

welcome

oliver-morrisminor
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushfire, Welcome aboard
Yes as Frosty says do not be shy to ask questions here on the Forum
you will find that we are a bunch of very helpful Minor Nuts.

But joining a club is a VERY GOOD idea.

It will save you making costly mistakes, which are diss-heartening.

A club makes you feel like you are part of a community
and gives you the encouragement to get the job done, Not
to mention going out on the great rallies and runs we all go on!

Nothing looks or feels better than a line of 10 or 20 Morris Minors
in a row, unless you are the average motorist stuck behind us all!

Yours looks to be around a 57 model, Morris Minor 1000.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read a lot on the forums for the past few weeks now and I do think joining a club will be a big help, but atm I can't do that since we have to find a club that suits both of us. He has a cowley (?) that he is working on and I hate to be in two different clubs.
i am doing this for the simple reason I have heard " I am going to do this to your car, this has to go into it etc" well none of it sounded like a great idea, so I just have to do it myself and get the result I am after or I will end up with a hot rod.

sunalp2
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A google search turned this up.

Morris Register QLD Inc
152 Old Northern Rd
Everton Park QLD 4053
(07) 3353 0532

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: sneaking in Reply with quote

hi all just thought i would make an appearance as you will most likely know way too much about me by the time bushie is done. yes im the male enemy. i will pop up a pic of my sad cowley tray ute in a seperate post.

cheers and hello to you all
ST

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I made a great purchase. Sofar we have found some surface rust, heaps of scratches and only the trunk has major rust in it. The engine has been redone allready, but I am not sure I want to use it. It seems to be the origional engine.
I think, by doing a search with the numbers, that its a 58 model.

On the downside, I went out and bought 2 huge cans of WD 40 and have not used it once, nothing sofar was rusted to tight. Seems I did waste a bit of money there.

As for silvertops tools, well I mananged to mix up the ones you use to undo a bolt. Just tossed the metric one in with the other ones as i was so happy to finally find the right one. A few of his tools have found a new temporary home in my Morry, but as long as I stay close to the car when he is home he will never even notice. He only checks when i am not around and even send me on a run to Bunnings to get him some fence screws, have himself away when he told me what I could do next...lol

oliver-morrisminor
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushfire,
I was thinking and there is a great club

which I will send you the details

They take a brands of cars and I know there are many friendly
Morris Minor Ownwers amungst them.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks for that info, will look into it sometimes this week.

I think I will just pick a club after I go to one of their meetings, there are 3 close by.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Looks like a great project, keep the photo's coming & ask heaps of questions, get the answers, then you have to decide which way to go, (common sense).

It can be done on a budget, you dont have to buy everything new from overseas, i agree, talk to club members, they have been there done that.
Maybe get it going on that running gear, have some fun then decide on mods.

Try to enjoy it, if it becomes a chore, you may get sick of it.

good luck Very Happy

Trev
Aus

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trev and thanks for the welcome.

I do have a huge benefit, Silvertop knows how to do a lot on cars and if I get too stuck he will pitch in.
We sort of have a deal I do the pretty stuff and he does all the oily things - under the hood. That just looks way too much for my little bit of knowledge. i will just learn as he does it, this one is my training car. Next one will be all mine to do, which will come right after I restore a scooter

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushie has been a real demon out in and under her chariot. from what i have been able to get at and inspect there is rust replacement to be done in the boot and on the lower boot lid. the right hand sill is in remarkable condition and shall need little more than a good clean then repaint/ seal. the floor is in pristine condition and there are no signs of any leaks from the screen or rear window. not bad for rubbers my age im not in that good a nik. less rust more wear and tear lol. rear suspension points are clean and sound. the motor is fresh recon just not sure if its an unleaded recon or not will get that looked into. the gearbox is also a fresh recon from what i can tell so far. the front end chassis and rails have been restored to new condition and if any panel replacement has been done i would say it was by a profesional shop.apart from that the only other notable rust is in the doors 1 will need a repair panel the other 3 only have minor areas effected so far and will be easy recovered as they will only need spot repairs.

she will post ya all some pics as soon as i can find the ultra safe spot i put my camera or buy a new one.

(EDIT) found the hidden camera. 1 was lots easier after i stopped looking for a silver cam when i own a black one. 2 bushfire took my safe place ( table basket ) out from her safe place. lol (( lesson learned. ))

cheers silvertop

Last edited by silvertop on Tue May 11, 2010 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bushie-welcome from someone standing the wrong way up-a long way away.

Good luck with the Project-sorry I cannot see your pics theres a really strange symbol where the pics should be, but I shall have to try and find out what C---ups have caused that. I can see one that Frosty copied on his post though.Strange that.

This bunch on here are terrific for techy help and encouraging advice also-I discovered this site by accident and joined straight away.It's one of only two "proper" Sites on help with all Morry Projects, Sir Frosty knows that----take no prisoners-get stuck in when you can.

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi minormadman i had a quick look and ole frosties pic it is posted through photobucket while bushies are posted through tinypic. pm her your email and she will gladly forward them straight from her cam to you. unless u find out a way to view tinypic pics.
cheers and greetings. silvertop.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Silvertop I will do, many thanks for the other info also-will be interesting to follow the rebuild-I am doing a '61 4 door when I get back to full mobility-soon I hope.

rascar
Got the keys

Location: Brisbane, QLD Australia. Bingley, West Yorkshire UK.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great intro Bushfire,

Can't wait to see the updates!

Cheers,
Darrell

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bushfire. All pics now well and truly seen thanks,(my techy fault as per usual).

Well what a great Project,it'll be great to follow yours when I am doing mine.

Mine is a dull Maroon at present and looking forwards to returning it to a decent lightish shade of Grey- which it was originally.

Yours looks a decent sort of white ? What's the actual colour ?

Looking forwards to some more Pics please when you can post 'em.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the inside is gutted and we are moving it into the garage tomorrow. Then I think i will need some electric screwdriver lessons, some of those screws are just a bugger to get out of the doors.

I have decided on the final colour Khan pearlessent white with just a hint of mauve on the outside and grey with mauve edging on the inside. I am also leaving the driver side glove box open so I can fit a GPS ( need that get lost going into the kitchen...lol) and my phone holder in it ( another thing I need so i can call Silvertop when I am lost and totally confused. Poor bugger the things I put him thru when I go for a drive it is no wonder he is silver now. good thing i make a great cup of coffee.

Taking more pics once its in the garage

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripping morries i found the easiest way to get the phillips head bolts out of the doors is.

Take the door off...

Spray some WD inside the door the night before, the threads are to long & rust forms on them.

Use a inpact driver to get the easy ones out, then take the phillips bit & 1/2 inch fitting off the inpact driver & fit it to a 1/2 inch rattle gun Shocked

Put a bit of course grinding paste into the head of the bolt, it helps the phillips bit grab hold, give the bit a few good raps with a hammer then fit the rattle gun & go flat out Very Happy

If it rounds it out it was never coming out, so next step is to drill it out.

If you have a stubbon bolt & dont have a rattle gun you can fit a 1/2 inch drive socket (not your good set) on the end of a inpact driver & belt the shiiiit out of it Eye Rolls lmao i've done it on flywheels years ago before i got all the proper gear Very Happy no good on panels as you will dent them.

Trev
Aus

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had my impact driver lesson Very Happy it was just a few I could not budge no matter what I tried, the heads were stripped into holes.

I know shot guns , bb guns and machine guns Never heard of a rattle gun? time to google that one as I doubt its a gun you use to shot rattles at babies....lol
found it we have one of those, but Silvertop calls it impact wrench

Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference from cheap rattle guns to expensive ones, looks like it's to late now as the heads are damaged, but there is a lot more torque in the expensive ones.
But Trev's ideas are what I have done for years and works as good as any, PS: use Inox its better than WD40
Good luck with getting the rest apart

Bruce

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took Silvertop 10 min tops to take them all out for me, he has another nifty tool that did it.
My problem is I am so carefull not to damage anything and rather just wait till he comes home before I stuff things up too much.

bigcarle
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound like you are having a good time there, keep it up.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a blast, ruined two of my shirts with oil and grease allready. Decided Silvertops black shirts would be a lot better to use then my female ones.
Todays goal is to just take all the doors apart should be ok now that I know better how to do this thanks to all the nice help you guys have given me. Autoshop is open so off I go to buy some of those things

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: