Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Having a go at restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to assist-- all of us (longer in the tooth gents) --just to re cap then.

Project sequence so far---

All first reference pictures taken (ie before and after ?)

Posting general interest pics

Interior stripped

Doors off

Other tools purchasing

Whats next when you get it in the Garage ?

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, once I pushed it in there I put Silvertop to work on some of the really stubborn bolts while I had a snooze under the back fenders.

next is taking those fenders off, rearranging all of his tools into an order so I can find my favourite ones easy.
Then I am booking the body in for the soda blasting, get the rust all repaired. track down an upholster guy. that should do it for the next 4 weeks or so

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Yep those back ones are an absolute Pig to shift -if they have not seen any lube for ages- I'd given them a couple of days sitting with "Mr Penetrator" this helps a great deal -many many times.
As I have only started today Sat-15th I am a little behind your timing. As I am the "Silvertop" in our house-I do not have an expert to call on (well not in the muscles and expert dept anyway)
My betterhalf is a Scouser (God Bless her) and apart from being supportive and keeping me supplied with tea is just about all I get (who said that)
Keen to follow you and Silvertops "blow by blow" rebuild- it will help on mine obviously.
Will be posting some pics tomorrow or later tonight.

PS get Silvertop to purchase some great Ladies light material overalls-infact two lots - so, one on -one in the wash overnight- big saving on those good quality Ladies shirts.

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minormadman wrote:
So to assist-- all of us (longer in the tooth gents)

well then your a youngster. im more the Short of Tooth type lol

we are going the soda blast route because it is metal friendly and will display any area needing attention. unlike sand or grit blasting it doesnt promote new rust it actually inhibits it. and doesnt stress the metal like conventional blasting does. after that its repair whats needed. make any hard mods bushie wishes then paint and reassemble. im hoping for a debut at the nationals but thats a stretch at the moment.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes I think he would love for me to pay more attention to his coffee cup and the kitchen in general, but he knows I am having fun. And he really only needs to help after I mucked around all day on 2-3 bolts.
We do work well as a team.

you should have seen his face when I told him the car was at the gate ready to be pushed into the garage. It was priceless, just as good as when I told him I needed a Nutscrusher.

sunalp2
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvertop wrote:
im hoping for a debut at the nationals but thats a stretch at the moment.

I'll look forward to that.

Bushfire wrote:
It was priceless, just as good as when I told him I needed a Nutscrusher.

I think a set of multi grips could do the job.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooouuuuuccccchhhhhh Very Happy

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likely they could but believe it or not she actually meant a bench vise. as for what im not giving her up you will have to get that out of her yourselves.

p.s. ive spent near ten years in the left to right hand drive conversion industry. twice that as a shipwright(boatbuilder) held a open cert in xray grade marine alloy welding to lloyds of london standard and just dissasembling this wee morrie is as frustrating as getting my first date when i was 17.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a bit of good info there- a real bit of talent.

Talking about Dates at 17 years old.

I was 17 years of age when my Project 4 Door was made (oh happy days)

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushfire and Silvertop,you guys are a real blast to listen to and catch up on whats going on in your garage,wish mine was moving as quickly but to many things on the go at present,home repairs from hail storms,life,looking for another morrie etc etc.Guess Im one of the older gen (53) but my very first registered car when I got my licence was a 4 door morrie,think it was a 53,jacked up at the rear,big oversize radials on standard rims and a semi open exhaust with rat type paintwork,and Ive had them on and of since then..Agree with you totally about soda blasting,far far better than the old sand blasting although with an experience operator it can be done properly.Keep up the good work and I'll keep reading your postings and watch out for the nutcrusher!!

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i looked closer at the left rear side of bushfires morrie today. i noticed the c pillar is all there. im just not sure i can work out how the pieces realign to make it all fit back in.

the pile is about 1/2 inch 10mm deep

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh made you all think weird things about my sanity then eh?

here are the real pics some creative reconstruction needed.

view from wheel arch

2 from downunder. (so MMM you just look down)

mowog
I can steer now

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT use soda blasting the soda does not restrict rust think about it soda is a rust promoter, put some soda on a piece of metal dampen it and watch it rust.the residue will cause your nice new paint to rust eventually. It cannot be cleaned out properly.
go to oldholden.com there is a lot of discussion about blasting.
Sand or garnet blasting will not promote rust but is difficult to get all the residue out, which you have to do because it will leave patches of media behind and the paint does not penetrate. I believe it takes an experienced sand blaster several hours to really clean the stuff out. but it is still safer than soda.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silvertop --Gotcha, now your talking my language.

I shall dig out a few of my day one pics-taken on actually my day one-yesterday 15th.
My project started yesterday-thats why I am interested in following your day by day or session by session work plan-theres a lot to get through.

I have a few Jigsaw peices on the floor just similar to yours (sorry Bushies) I called them Whoopsies some that were left on the trailor as well on the day I collected it-Deep joy.

Keep em coming-tell her to get her hands dirty on the rusty metal too.

Does anyone else concur with the research done on Soda Blasting versus Sand etc ?

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hole number one first of many many thats going to be found no doubt in the picture frame-OS X Member end Sill area

I am not very good with the camera or the 'puter yet but getting better.

Silvertop you have to look right down below your floor to see this one.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to call a few places today to find out which one is better. From what I have read in the last 3 hrs I do think they both have the same problem if not done right before the painting starts. Both will have residue left on the metal and if that is not taken care of both will end up with paint peeling. the biggest pro for soda seems to be that it does not hurt the metal where the sand can leave an orange peel look and stress the metal due to heat.
But just to make sure I will start making calls in a few hrs.

I am only touching the rusty bits when Silvertop is not at home.And I am all clean and pretty looking when he comes in

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushfire-silvertop, you's are getting into it Very Happy (the morrie) that rust is pretty standard on the morrie, ussually more at the front of the sill, maybe it lived on an up hill driveway Very Happy water gets in around the bonnet hinges.

I dont think anything needs blasting, it's definately quicker, but it can all be done with elbo grease.
use a wire wheel in a grinder, twist type one, & clean as much as possible, scrape the inside as clean as possible, i used to use a bit of heater hose jammed into the vacume cleaner nozzle to suck all the crap out, cut the hose at 45 deg on the end.

Once it's clean you can see how much metal you have to cut out to get back to sound steel.

The first time i did one, i cut each peice out at a time & used it as a templete to cut & shape a new piece, carboard is also great for making templetes.

The last one i did i cut the whole corner off, then seperated it into it's indevitual pieces, then made cardboard templetes, then traced it all onto new steel, while the corner is removed clean & treat any surface rust with acid, then kill rust enamel.

Leave a good size drain hole in the bottom of the new corner, either weld a nut inside for the guard or easier, drill a hole put a bolt through & weld the head.

drown everything in fish oil when finished Very Happy

Just the way i do it Very Happy

Trev
Aus

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I called a few sandblasters and a few sodablasters and I have to the conclusion that for the metal soda is better as it is a lot less abrasive. For the paint job after wards doesn't matter really as the most important part seems to be to make sure the residue both leave behind is cleaned off properly. And the blokes that can come to your place can't do that job properly.
While my mind is now filled with tech terms I still think that I am going with the soda blasting, just had a few more positive points.

frosty

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Scotch.....

It goes with the soda Embarassed

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Frosty wrote:
Don't forget the Scotch.....

It goes with the soda Embarassed

lol

hunterbagpiper
Got the keys

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Frosty!

Ya dunna wreck gook whisky with soda...

Or coke, or water, or ice!

Shame on you! Very Happy

Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how well does soda remove rust?
I have seen it remove paint but have not seen it clean up rust.
I use media blasting, softer than sand,but removes the rust, stripper or strip disks work OK on flat or big panels but a pain in corners of engine bays.

Bruce

mowog
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other thing to look at with blasting is the cost. For the cost of any blasting you could buy a nice 17cfm compressor and a $30 sandblaster kit from Supercrap or someone and still have change in your pocket from the cost of getting it done professionally.
and the reason sand blasting damages metal is that the professionals run at 200psi or more, with a huge nozzle.however the small one has a 6 or 9mm nozzle, runs at 100psi max, and provided you don't give the large panels like the bonnet and roof too much concentration they won't be hurt. I have found running at 80psi is adequate.
if you go DIYO be sure to get a good quality headpiece, air filter, and I have some disposable white coveralls that I have used for about 10 years.
Also somewhere remote to work in.
Also i am not sure soda will remove heavy rust, but speak to your blaster guy for that.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mowog wrote:
the other thing to look at with blasting is the cost. For the cost of any blasting you could buy a nice 17cfm compressor and a $30 sandblaster kit from Supercrap or someone and still have change in your pocket from the cost of getting it done professionally.
and the reason sand blasting damages metal is that the professionals run at 200psi or more, with a huge nozzle.however the small one has a 6 or 9mm nozzle, runs at 100psi max, and provided you don't give the large panels like the bonnet and roof too much concentration they won't be hurt. I have found running at 80psi is adequate.
if you go DIYO be sure to get a good quality headpiece, air filter, and I have some disposable white coveralls that I have used for about 10 years.
Also somewhere remote to work in.
Also i am not sure soda will remove heavy rust, but speak to your blaster guy for that.

+1 Very Happy

& paint stripper on the large areas

But watch your neighbor's pool hey Benb bahahahaha Very Happy

Trev
Aus

Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blasting with sand at home ??

Glad you don't live near me, it's up there with one of the most dangerous things you can do is have fine silica floating in the air.
The reason it cost to get something blasted is the EPA guidelines they have to follow.
I have had a few cars blasted by a well known and respected guys in Canberra and never had a problem.

Bruce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: