Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Having a go at restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend the last 5 or so years getting rid of all the things people tend to collect, which in the end turn out to be useless, not planning on adding more of hose sorts of items back into my life. It does not fit into our long term plans. Plus I firmly believe some things are best left to professionals.

Silvertop is much better at explaining how this works on rust, the tech terms are just a bit much for me to keep all straight.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm well known & respected by my neighbors for running lathe, grinders & spray painting etc

Oh & my camp fires
Trev
Aus

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well fenders are off, glass is all out( windscreen and back window) only thing left id what's under the hood and that we are taking out on the weekend. So now I have a few days of rest.

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kustombruce wrote:
how well does soda remove rust?
I have seen it remove paint but have not seen it clean up rust.
I use media blasting, softer than sand,but removes the rust, stripper or strip disks work OK on flat or big panels but a pain in corners of engine bays.

Bruce

hi bruce. simple answer.
1. soda blasting is a mechanical form of paint stripping. it will remove the paint & built up residue like dirt oil,grease and loose rust scale but not solid rust. it also will not key the metal for paint adhesion this also needs to be done i prefer the scotchbrite method for keying the surface. fine abrasion and low heat build-up unlike grit sanding.
2. the rust will still need to be dealt with by either spot blasting or full metal removal and replacement.
3. then a full bare metal respray.
Very Happy like what your doing on the clockwork-orange great concept and brilliant workmanship. Very Happy

Shocked for anyone wondering why we chose this way to go. Shocked
oue reason for having the car soda blasted is simply courtesy to my neighbours and our house. the garage in incorporated in the house so whatevey diy solution we used would infiltrate the house and possibly encroach on the neighbours privacy in either fumes or dust. if you add up the time. materials. cleanup. laundry. and calculate it at a rate of $20 per hour 99% of the time a profesional solution is both faster,cleaner and reasonably priced. the most current full strip i know of is a friends hq statesman ,soda blasted. spot grit blasted. cleaned. neutralised and etch primed in epoxy $1350. 6 weeks ago. had roughly 1/2 sq mtr rust in total over several places.

in summary there is no easy all for one answer for any form of pre paint preperation. situation. cost. personal ability. location. personal skill. desire,need,want. and just plain ive done this 6 times so far and am over spending 2-3 months in my garage eating dust and rust to do that part again all help a person decide what is the best way to go for your own chariot of the domestic god.

personally i would like an 8*12metre shed to play in. then the do it all ourselves may be more achievable.

ok rant over. the novel will be published in november for early release.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My front gaurds and grill were blasted professionally in Canberra. I was very happy with the job and it only cost me a green back. Primer stuck like s**t to a blanket Very Happy

mowog
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry by sand I mean garnet, I did use sand once and it was very dusty. garnet is not so dusty, and its not as if I do whole cars, mainly small repairs/touch ups.
I made up a frame in the garage and wrapped the whole lot in clear plastic, the dust and stuff mostly stays in there and the garnet can be swept up and reused to save a bit of cash.
I also made a blasting cabinet I did most of the suspension parts in that and no dust escaped.

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok subject closed.

if anyone wishes to continue the topic lets make a thread and not hyjack a project thread.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely Bushfire.
Did you just cut both the Screen rubbers out to get the screens out ?Or were they in good nick to re use ?

I will suggest you take the 5/16 nuts off the underside the dash holding the body part of the Bonnet hinges on, instead of taking the bonnet off the other way-that's only in my humble opinion.

Looks like you're going to have a busy weekend coming up removing the engine and gearbox.

I am working all this weekend-besides my Car work is on hold due to a "Kitchen" problem (do not ask-I am still Fizzing)

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is a lesson learned, never ever use a screwdriver and a hammer on a windscreen. There will be an ooops moment for sure...lol
But on the brightside its the first thing I managed to really break.

yeah this will be a busy weekend, especially since everything under the hood is really foreign territory to me. It's the final frontier for me and I really hope I do not get brained by the motor like I did by the fender Very Happy

thanks for that tip, I am going to take that off this afternoon

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you did some "sweet talking" to you know who, about the (Lumps Removal) this weekend, its a real heavy load if youre not used to it-take care with it and remember total safety when underneath for those gearbox cross member bolts etc

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Bushfire - I have just remembered I have a request to make of you or Silvertop.
When you took reference pictures of your car ,just before you started the strip-down, did you take any showing the rear wheel arch /rear passenger seat/rear door lock area ?
If so, I would like to see what the metal protector brackets plates looked like (when they are in-situ) these are the ones that protect the door flange/doors rubber seals ,from excessive wear when passengers are getting and out .
I would like to have a picture of the positioning, if possible.
Hope you can help ?

Regards
Cliff

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraid not MMM but if you pop up a pic of the shot you want from your car im sure someone can post one in its full trim for you.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh minor don't worry I am very carefull since i hate going to see the quack.
Motor and gearbox are out and 1 front wheel is in bits too. I am hoping Silvertop can show me tomorrow how to do those and then i can take the rest apart, but I am going to a show so not sure how we will go time wise.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey you don't hang about-good on ya. Enjoy the show.
Thanks Silvertop will do.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned-this is the view of the area I asked about.

Just above the light Grey rear wing,where the Maroon door rubber seal flange is-there's a metal arch cover plate on here.
Has anyone got a pic of just what it should look like before dissassembly please

Regards
Cliff

mowog
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would warn against getting too enthusiastic about pulling stuff apart because you end up with hundreds of bits and it can be a bit overwhelming.
I suggest you might be better to work on one area at a time.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mowog we have to take it all apart since we are taking the body and all the panels down to get them blasted and rust treated/ rebuild what is in too bad of a nick, then we are replacing the brakes, shocks etc.

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mowog wrote:
I would warn against getting too enthusiastic about pulling stuff apart because you end up with hundreds of bits and it can be a bit overwhelming.
I suggest you might be better to work on one area at a time.

hi mowog.
in essence i agree with you that a full strip and rebuild can be daunting and overwhelming. if this was my frirst ever rebuild i would likely do it one area at a time. this is however my first morrie revamp and there are many things morrie im yet to learn as my history is mainly american muscle. ie. conversions plus restoration at the same time. im happy with a kit car of hundreds of pieces as i have a work process which keeps it all manageable.

we bought a wreck because we will be modernising many features of the car and didnt wish to do that to a sound road morrie as we do not wish to reduce the number of true originals on the road. They are awsome but we wish to have a daily driver comfortable and safe at highway speed in todays traffic. so things like a full suspension upgrade, motor replacement, brake upgrade, and steering all have to be reworked, reconditioned or replaced. the interior will get a full redo just to make it pretty for bushie and after all that well a re-wire and new paint sort of say hey what about us.

We already have plans for more morries in the future. likely a traveler in genuine trim and a panel van also in original trim. but thats the future.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mowog.
Thanks -don't know if I should reply to your post which was picked up on by silvertop-but

Also agree-slowly but surely. I am working through my project at the same time as him and Bushfire.

The trouble that a problem some of us also face is that we take over cars for a total rebuild that have been partially dissasembled by previous people.

My case is I have a number of items kicking around in the boot some of which I can identify from ref books and parts catalogues but others are a mystery. (some of us have not owned a Morry for a long time) we have wasted a lifetime on other lesser machines.

One other point I want to make and I feel sure I am not the only one to have come across this-
Sometimes bits of the car or engine you find- should not be there at times you may be unsure of what is right for the car and what isn't-which is a bit a time consuming excersise to match up everything before ordering new stuff or having things refurbished.

I have heard of-seen personally and read about "rippers" who just rush through a teardown on a car (and not all amatuers either) but they all find they up the same way , Lost,stumped and costs a lot in time worry stress and effort to get it all back together again.

Keep working at it, thanks for the valuable suggestion ,and keep all of us "Maakkeeelearnees" in line-that way we can all really enjoy our passions (no not that one)

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have everything in seperate boxes, one for the interior templates as this will make it easier for the upholsterer, one for window bits one for door bts, 2 for unknown to me ( Silvertop probably knows what they are) .
So there is organisation even in my chaos and we will be able to tell later what went where. Alot of it we will not use again since we are modernizing it for safety reasons.
It will look like an origional Morris inside, but under the hood it will be modern.
There are 3 very precious people in my life ( yes I call my cats people) and I will not risk their lives with dodgy work just for the sake of not doing things te proper way. Things have changed since this car was made roads, traffic brakes etc and what was great back then is just not up to standard anymore. Will this go against a purists way of thinking? sure, but I do not care. This car will be for everyday driving. The next one will be just for shows and then I will go and rebuild it to origional standard as it will only go garage to trailer and trailer to display spot.

rascar
Got the keys

Location: Brisbane, QLD Australia. Bingley, West Yorkshire UK.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushfire,

Couldn't help but notice the time of the post..03.05am... Now that is burning the mid-night oil..!

I agree heartedly with the modernisation for safety of a daily driver.

Cheers,
Darrell

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get up early everyday, never later then 3:30.
That time used to be my time back when the kids were little and now its just impossible for me to sleep past 4 am Very Happy

Necros87
Full Licence

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... on the weekend, i am lucky to get to bed before 3 Very Happy

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know early bird isnt she. well i get to sleep in on days off at least untill one of the house sitters wish to have the bed al to themselves. usually around 7-8 am.

another snippet of info i can share is that we deliberately bought a near wreck 4 door. the reason is we will rebuild it to what we think a morrie would be made like today. ie central locking. heater a/c, full drivetrain update complete with modern suspension, brakes, driveline. the reason we chose a wreck and not a reasonably sound morrie is that we dont believe in cutting up a concours potential candidate. the downside to this decision is that it requires rebuilding from the ground up. does any of this intimidate me or bother me.. nope it excites me no end. MMM says his snowberry white traveller is too far gone. i disagree. anything is recoverable. i wish it was over here i would take it off his hands in a heartbeat and thats one i would return to Embarassed pristine original.

rascar
Got the keys

Location: Brisbane, QLD Australia. Bingley, West Yorkshire UK.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent snippet of info and the best thing is you still end up with a morrie!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: