Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

coil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morris12
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: coil Reply with quote

hi all, putting a datto in my morry, do you have too use a resistor on the coil or can buy a diffrent coil with out useing a resistor ?????????? Very Happy regards warren

Boeing Bob
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Warren,

Any coil will fit any engine. The problem arises as to the voltage of the coil. There are basically two types of coils, one being a 12 volt coil, the other being a 9 volt coil. The 12 volt coil is connected direct to the ignition switch of the car and receives whatever voltage is being supplied by the electrical system.

The 9 volt coil is connected in such a manner that it is connected direct to the 12 volt supply from the ignition switch during engine starting and when the start switch is released, the coil is fed through a ballast resistor to give it only 9 volts.

The reason for this is because as the engine is cranked over during starting, the battery voltage drops to approximately 9 volts and better spark is produced by the coil, thus giving better starting. When the starter switch is released and the voltage rises, so that the coil is not getting higher than designed voltage, the ballast resistor drops the voltage to a nominal 9 volts.

In the majority of older 4 cylinder cars, fitting and wiring in a 9 volt coil is overkill and the fitment of this system is more common in later model cars with high compression motors where the starter is working its poor little butt off to get the engine rotating, particularly with a cold motor.

Boeing Bob.

morris12
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bob, i,ve have used a coil with out a resistor on my morry engine with no problems at all, so i will do the same on the datto thankyou regards warren

Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way to go, just need to keep an eye on your points and plugs as they will wear down. After my last trip to Perth I had to replace the plugs because the centre electrode was so worn down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: