Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Nancy's "Black Beauty" 1953 2 door saloon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliver-morrisminor
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nancy BB is still looking GOOD!

It was nice to finally catch up with you today!

Keep the good work going and she will be hitting the road soon I am sure!

Oli

Scouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy wrote:
Hi all, just an update on BB. I have purchased a donor Morris Minor 1000 which I will use the diff, brake hubs etc as they are a Major setup all round. As a bonus the wheels on this donor car are wide rims all with good tyres so will use these also on BB.
The Major (or even 1000 hubs) won't fit on your suspension uprights as the stub axle will be too small so you'll need to swap these over too.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oli, Nice to meet everyone today great to put faces to names. Nice turnout as well which gave me some good ideas for BB.

Hi Scott, my post probably wasn't exact but hubby's says we will swap everything over. Thanks for the tip.

Best regards, Nancy

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting closer now folks, more parts have arrived from ESM and this long weekend will be a BB weekend.

oliver-morrisminor
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a parcel full of FUN!

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes definitely, but also a bit of work involved too as we are replacing the original diff and brakes etc with a 1000 diff so I can have the fat wheels on her. Which will look terrific with the new chrome hubcaps.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

The hard work has now begun, today we have put both rear and front bumpers on, new personalised plates on to see what they look like, new dash engine light in, new wiper arms and blades on. Here is how BB looks this afternoon. Tomorrow we are tackling the diff transfer.

She is looking really great.

Best regards
Nancy

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

we are half way with the diff transplant. Today we cleaned and painted the 1000 diff and added new brake lines, new shoes, cylinders etc ready for install. We removed the old diff this afternoon. Tomorrow we will be ready to mount up the new diff. So far everything is going well. Heaps of thanks of course to my husband, Greg who has to do all the heavy work with a little help from me where I can.

Here are some diff (1000) pics:

Here is a couple more of the rear of BB now as we put on the red reflectors today.

Best regards
Nancy

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Today the 1000 diff was installed and the hand brake was hooked up but doesn't work well enough so that will be replaced from the donor 1000 car we have. Other than that everything went well and we even got to put the rear wide rims & new chrome hubcaps on. They look at treat and can't wait until BB is on all her 4 feet.

(view of diff installed)

Best regards
Nancy

Last edited by Nancy on Wed May 09, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy
Do not won't to seem to be 'pickey" but your brake lines do not look right to me, they should lay flat accross the diff housing with two ties around diff on each side. I had two new ones made at brake shop they use a special type of pipe it is steel and can be moulded around the diff they used the old gland nuts.
Hope this helps Red Sedan Blue Sedan

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John for your thoughts the brake lines came in kit form from ESM & we also thought one was too long. We used the original diff tie offs which were only one on each side on the old diff as did the 1000 diff that came out of the donor car.

Best regards,
Nancy

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago now but when I registered my car for the first time I was told brake lines could not be copper that is why brake shops do not use it.
It is used in Uk because they put salt on the roads in winter. Red Sedan

oliver-morrisminor
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, the lines hanging down may be the handbrake cables...?

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Blue Sedan Hi Nancy, the car is looking good, l don't mean to pick either but my Brother John is right, in NSW Copper brake lines are outlawed and have been for many years, they use them in UK and some states of Australia because they are easy to bend (Hot Short, soft, annealed) but if they were hit hard enough with a stone or similar you could lose all your fluid and therefor have no brakes, l doubt if they will pass inspection unless you paint them black. trying to help Blue Sedan William Ballard.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks William, I do appreciate the advice from you and John that's why I keep posting so I can get BB right. your suggestion to paint the lines black is a good idea. If they were painted with floor deadener would that protect them a bit more from stone damage?
I have to thank absolutely everyone on this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here that is so freely given.
Best regards, Nancy

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Blue Sedan Thanks Nancy, if it was my car l would go to a brake shop and get one bent the same in steel, then know that it was right. Cheers William Ballard. Blue Sedan

stracho
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: brake lines Reply with quote

Sorry to differ John but copper lines are not baned in NSW as have just had a car enginered with copper lines abd was told they are alright as long as they are saddled every 800 mm Also know of another lot of cars that were passed with copper lines

grant69

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick google search and stumbled across a website copper.org, they state "Users of copper-nickel brake tubing in addition to Volvo include world-class vehicle manufacturers like Rolls Royce, Lotus, Aston Martin, Porsche and, most recently, Audi. " There are pages of studies about corrosion of steel tubing causing failures etc. I also scanned through the code of practice for light vehicle manufacture which states "Hydraulic pipes must be made from steel bundy tube complying with SAE J1047 or equivalent" So either copper-nickel is equivalent to,or all the Volvos Audis and Porsche's running around are unroadworthy from the factory
http://www.copper.org/applications/automotive/hydraulic_brake_tube.html

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

,,I did not say they were non compliante it just what I was told when I had mine made which incidently cost me about $15 for the diff lines
I only paid $24 for two long lines when I fitted dual master cylinder, although he used the original threaded nipples. Red Ute Blue Sedan

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Blue Sedan Well all l can say Stracho is, your Engineer must be a slack one as l have been in the motor trade most of my life repairing cars and Trucks and as a tradesman it has never been exceptable to use copper pipe for brake lines, go to a reputable brake repair w/shop and ask the question, and also ask them why they all use steel, l would not use copper on my restoration, l have a higher standard than that. William Ballard. Blue Sedan

grant69

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So William you didn't read the article I posted then, by the looks Copper/Nickel is a far superior product, as used by Rolls Royce, Porsche, Audi, Volvo etc

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Blue Sedan Hi Grant you must have a lot of idle time on your hands to look these things up? You can see why my everyday driver is a Volvo though.
The composition of the tubing in the article is NOT copper but a combination of copper/nickel, it is not hot short and will not bend like normal copper tubing as used by ESM, and it is the same as brake repairers use, go and ask them William Ballard.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify the pic that now has the words (view of diff installed) that is the hand brake cables on either side. The actual brake lines are in a pic further up above the installed diff pic. Sorry for any confusion everyone, I should have been much clearer on my posting.

I now have a spec data sheet from the manufacturer (Automec Equipment & Parts Ltd UK) on the copper lines I have bought. I contacted them to get the entire spec on them. If anyone is interested let me know and I can email a copy or I can post it into the Suspension, Steering & Brakes section.

Here is an extract from their email to me as I expressed concern regarding the suitability of the copper lines.

If the set number starts with GB for the RHD model, the pipes are copper and are an orangey colour with 20swg stamped on the pipe with the other identifying numbers.
The inspection stations in Australia only recognise copper nickel pipe as being suitable for brakes. Our pipe is thick walled copper and is eddy current tested for use as brake pipe so I have attached the technical data sheet in case you have a GB set so that you can show the inspectors the quality of our pipe.

I did buy the GB set of brake lines.

Best regards
Nancy

redback
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Convertible I have allways used copper and have never had an issue in either NSW or Qld with engineering or rego
regards Heather

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy
Do not let difference off opinions here stop the great work on your car .
Satisfaction is doing it yourway yourself. Red Ute Blue Ute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: