Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

My wifes Morrie Convertible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill smith
Got the keys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: My wifes Morrie Convertible Reply with quote

Lynn has wanted one of these since her late mum owned a morrie in the 60s ....below is some photos .We have owned this old girl for a few years now its been sitting in my shed ...now time for some action ....what year do you guys think it is ....

zabond
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

side valve? I'd say 52/53

bill smith
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zabond wrote:
side valve? I'd say 52/53

............................................................................................
Yes it is side valve ......Thinking about a motor change ...wouldn't pull the skin off a rice custard as it is ......

Lukezaid
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayum looks like one tidy survivor. Nothing wrong with a sidey.

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be worth a shedload more if left original, not sure if thats your thoughts. Others may confirm/deny but MM convertibles are very rare.

BTW, what is the white coupe in the background?

Cheers, Paul

bill smith
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul M wrote:
It would be worth a shedload more if left original, not sure if thats your thoughts. Others may confirm/deny but MM convertibles are very rare.

BTW, what is the white coupe in the background?

Cheers, Paul

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The white car is a 1972 Cadillac convertible .....

van63
I can do it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: SMM Convertible Reply with quote

My SMM has chassis number 109*** and engine number 133*** and it's a short bonnet high light built in July 1951.
They were all fully imported still in 1951 and yours is the long bonnet high light that started about August 1951. They were building approx 4000 Morris minors a month that year so I'd estimate yours at around October 1951.

I agree with the side valve lovers - it will only be original once and they're a good little motor - please don't put in a Fiat 2000 or Datsun!

Gary

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a little bit of work you can get the 918cc going as good or better than a Morris 1000. And it would still be original.
Talk to Scouse here on the forum his 1948 model 918cc is quick.

Monk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks a lovely car. Better to keep it as original as you can since you have the opportunity.

All the best.

bill smith
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the imput mate ....whatever mods I do will be definitely reversible and I will keep any original parts to do so .....it is so original mate a real surviver car ........

Monk wrote:
That looks a lovely car. Better to keep it as original as you can since you have the opportunity.

All the best.

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

Leaving it standard or modifying is a personal choice largely determined by what you want to use the car for.
But the simple truth is that the easier the car is to drive the more your wife will use it and the safer it is the happier you will be having her drive it.

The best mod I did on Morrx was to improve the brakes with disks, the standard 1000 brakes work but do not give a lot of confidence in today's traffic. Now I can relax and enjoy the drive knowing I can stop if required.
You can modify the side valve for more power, there is one on hear with a blower, but for less money you can get about twice the power from a Datsun 1200.
A newer 5 speed gear box on the back of the Side Valve ( if it can be done) or Datsun would make driving easier than the original box.

Morrx may not be original but it is a lot easier to drive than any Minor made by Morris.

Your car your choice.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Cheers
Graham
Very Happy Very Happy Blue Sedan Very Happy Very Happy

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right it is a personal choice to modifications. However many good old cars are taken too far away from original and in my opinion ruins them.
Morris minor brakes are adequate for Morris minors it is only when you move them from there original application that you have problems.
Graham Morrx my suit you but it is a long , long way from a Morris Minor.
And if you need a safer daily driver get a modern car it will be much cheaper in the long run. But of course if you want to get the feel and idea of what it was like to a car in 50/60 get an original Morris Minor.
Just my feelings.
Cheers

Monk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure it's a personal choice, I have a SII with a 1000 motor, gearbox and diff so never going to be original. I've got a 1000 with a 4K motor and gearbox fitted and Toyota running gear to match, pity the project is stalled! In two minds about that project because it was a car with matching numbers (but the SII wasn't on the scene).

It's just a question of weighing up whether you'd be better keeping a stock original as it is and getting another car to warm up. Once you start on the slippery slope etc. I'm not an advocate one way or another, at the end of the day. The argument has two sides, always.

bill smith
Got the keys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well last time out my wife drive the car from Melbourne to Drouin 2 hour trip ....although the car is in great nick and the motor runs very sweet it struggled up hills and to travel at a safe speed on the freeway the g/box felt like stirring a bowl of porridge and was hard to stop and she hasn't driven it since, that was 4 years ago..... Although she loves it and wants to drive it she doesn't feel safe .
So a motor upgrade to a 948 which was rebuilt not long ago ,I will strip it down hone and rering it , fit a 12g202 head , add an 1 and 1/2 SU, extractors and mild cam along with a smooth case cog box , would love and later model box but are very hard to find .
I have a set of big drums and a booster from a morris major to fit ...And fit a set of wider wheels and radial tyres ....
I should be able to do all this and not change anything that would prevent me from putting it back to stock so I will keep the standard components for reinstall if ever necessary .. She still loves the car and would never part with it

Bally
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: My wifes Morry Convertable Reply with quote

G'day Bill
Congratulations on getting a very original MM rag top. As far as your suggestion re fitting a brake booster I would make the following comment. I have fitted Major front brakes to my MM and have found that with Minor cylinders fitted the braking performance is super without fitting a booster. This is even with 'Brake Bonders' HDR bonded linings. The 'HDR' means that they are 'heavy duty racing' linings and require a bit higher pedal pressure than normal linings especially before they get properly warm. It is far easier to fit the Minor cylinders to the Major back plates than fitting a booster. If you decide to go this route I can refer you to a MMOC forum site which gives details on fitting the Minor cylinders.

Cheers Bob

Bally
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: My wifes Morry Convertable Reply with quote

G'day again Bill
Forgot to mention that to fit the Major brakes the backing plates will not bolt up to the MM swivel pin. The bolt pattern is different. I have fitted Minor 1000 swivel pins to accept the Major backing plates and Major hubs with 4 inch PCD by 3/8 inch UNF studs. This matches the Minor 1000 rear axle I have fitted with same bolt pattern as Major hubs.

Cheers Bob

DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall seeing an article on putting the A-series engine into an MM. What I learned is that it isn't as straightforward as it appears at first glance, due to all the different mounting points, gearbox cover, and the difference in the cross-member at the rear of the engine bay.

No doubt many members on here have done this changeover, so they will no doubt be along soon to comment.

All the best with the mods.

Don

bill smith
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what is required to fit an A series engine and g/box into the MM ............I have complete 58 model to use for parts ......a few questions .........
are the engine mounting points the same , can I use a later model cross member for the rear mount , will the 1958 g/box floor cover screw straight into the MM to accomodate the longer gear shifter . ,will the diff and tailshaft from the 58 bolt straight in , is the clutch actuation the same in both cars ........thanks

DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Bill

Here's some food for thought!

http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53616&p=505280&hilit=engine+swap#p505280

Scouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill smith wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is required to fit an A series engine and g/box into the MM ............I have complete 58 model to use for parts ......a few questions .........
are the engine mounting points the same , can I use a later model cross member for the rear mount , will the 1958 g/box floor cover screw straight into the MM to accomodate the longer gear shifter . ,will the diff and tailshaft from the 58 bolt straight in , is the clutch actuation the same in both cars ........thanks
The engine mounting points are the same but the 1000 engine is longer & you will usually need to recess the firewall crossmember. I have seen one car that wasn't recessed but I suspect he mounted the engine slightly further forward.

Use the 1000 crossmember but the floor will need cutting out to accommodate the relocated gear lever.
To avoid cutting the floor, you can fit a Series II extension housing to the 1000 gearbox. The lever will then come out in the original position.

Clutch actuation is different but you can adapt the 1000 linkage/pivots to fit the earlier car. Or you can make a new linkage to suit (I've seen it done before).

The 1000 rear axle assy fits straight in along with the tailshaft.
You also need the 1000 radiator.

The front brake hoses are different between the MM & 1000/Major but the rear one is the same. Probably best to get new ones anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: