Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

ESM supplied regulator is broken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noel_T
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: ESM supplied regulator is broken Reply with quote

I fitted a ESM supplied regulator and all was good. After about 6 months (probably drove the car about 6 times) it stopped working.

My auto-elec tells me that there are 2 broken wires in the rotor, one of which he cannot get at without major surgery.

I am looking at options:
a. Get it fixed - cost unknown
b. Get another ESM supplied alternator. The first one cost me GBP124 delivered which is approx. AUD240
c. Source another type that fits.

I have done a search here and there are a couple of alternative models mentioned.

What do you reckon is the best way to go now. If I can get it fixed for less than $240 I guess that is the easiest solution. A change to another type would be OK if it didn't require customisation to fit.

Anyway I'm seeking recommendations and opinions.

Noel

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old days, we just used to go to a Mini wrecker & get an alternator & bracket to suit. It would cost a lot less than $240.

What brand is the ESM alternator?
Maybe there's a replacement regulator available if you do a bit of Googling.

jax
overdrive

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently a Sigma alternator is an easy fit. Theres a post about it somewhere cheers JohnG

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the ESM unit would have a warranty if its only 6 months old and they should carry the costs although I doubt they would see it that way!

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Sprite/Midget one Mini Morris 1100 etc are OK
Try Colin Dodds Sprite Parts/ Mini Wreckers or e-bay.
I bought a Mini one with brackets for $40.Hab to have diodes fitted but that was only $60.

Noel_T
Got the keys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a new regulator via Bill Littlehales and fitted it to the car. It slots in exactly to the mounting bracket I had from the ESM supplied alternator.

I am not sure of the connections. The ESM alternator had 3 connections. The heavy duty brown wire that went to the battery side of the starter button, a lighter brown wire that also went to the battery and a lighter brown/yellow wire that went to the ignition light.

The new regulator has 3 terminals. Pin 2 is obviously the supply to the battery (it's the biggest). What are the other two. Pin 1 sits within the same protective enclosure as Pin2 and Pin 3 is sitting in an insulated grommet.

I checked the UniPoint web site but couldn't find this alternator nor any indication of what each pin was for.

Is one for the ignition light (I imagine so), which one and what is the other one for? I am also interested in what the small black cube is next to Pin3. A spark suppressor capacitor perhaps?

Tks. for your advice

Noel

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not use or need a regulator with an alternator as the regulator is built into the alternator.
My Sprite unit only has one large and one small wire that were used on the old generator.
With mine I took the inside out of the regulator and left the box with terminals there.
I joined the terminals together on the rear with copper wire, just to look original.
A1 and A join together then F and D join, terminal E is connected to frame Earth/Neg) all on the back

Noel_T
Got the keys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Thanks & yes I had done that when I installed the ESM alternator. My old regulator is now just a terminal block for the wires.

My query is really just trying to identify what the terminals are on the new alternator so that I can hook them up correctly.

I am satisfied that Pin 2 is the main output. Just wondering what Pin 1 & 3 are.

Noel

Noel_T
Got the keys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a good look at regulator connections in general via that authoritative research tool (Dr. Google) and the consensus seems to be that the self-regulating alternator has 3 connections.

One goes to the battery +Ve for charging, on supplies power to the alternator as an initial current to get the coils excited and one is used to power the IGN light.

In my image above Pin 2 would be the output to the battery.
Am I going to do any damage by testing the alternator in-situ by putting 12V onto each of the other two pins in turn while measuring the output to decide which requires the initial 12V to get it excited?

All advice welcome

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noel, I reckon that the IGN light provides excitation for the alternator. Pin 2 is B+, battery, and I would guess that Pin 1 has IND next to it under the plastic. Have you taken the cover off and had a look? Most internally regulated alternators I have seen have only two wires
Hope this helps

Cheers, Paul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: