Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Fuel gauge live all the time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lawdeb
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Fuel gauge live all the time Reply with quote

Hiya people,
I'm just rewiring (reconnecting everything) one of our Morries and every time I connect the power feed to the fuel gauge as per the manual, it livens up the whole speedo. Tried another gauge with the same result. Is this a dead short in both gauges? Or is it a morrie thing? It is a positive earth vehicle, but this shouldn't cause an issue. (??) It is the same for both terminals (on the gauge) Either way gauge doesn't move gggrrrr!!
thanks in advance
Lawry

MorryStu
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have the other side of the guage connected to the instrument lamp. It should only come live when the ignition is on

The fuel gauge is fairly straight forward. With mine it is a wire from the ignition to the gauge, then another wire to the fuel tank sender with the sender earthing to the chassis thru the tank

They are supposed to have a regulator, but mine works without it just fine

lawdeb
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
It does only come on with the ignition and is only connected to two wires, the one from the sender to the T side of the gauge, and the power feed to the B side. They are both gold gauges. I found another speedo (black) and that seems to work but I would rather have the original gold one in if I can.

Lukezaid
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my cars I had an issue. Cannot fully remember, something to do with it coming from the same part as the regulator as the cablight. And the issue was with the cablight. Perhaps checking what is at the regulator, disconecting all from that bank and check the gauge alone? If that fixes the problem, chase and rectify from there? Best of luck. Hope it is a simple fix.

lawdeb
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to have a 4k toyota motor in it which I swapped for an original engine and box so its +ve earth and has no regulator, would that be an issue?
I have it wired as per the service manual diagram so it is wired correctly (I have checked it 58 times so far!!)

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawdeb wrote:
It used to have a 4k toyota motor in it which I swapped for an original engine and box so its +ve earth and has no regulator, would that be an issue?
I have it wired as per the service manual diagram so it is wired correctly (I have checked it 58 times so far!!)

Having an 'original motor' doesn't necessarily mean +ve earth, that's determined by whether you have a generator or an alternator and lots of Morry engines have been fitted with alternators.

So, what do you have? An alternator or a generator?

Of course, I may be misunderstanding what you're saying.

Scouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold speedo fuel gauges don't have a voltage stabiliser/regulator & +ve/-ve earth has no bearing on the fuel gauge operation.

It could well be wired correctly at the fuel gauge as you've checked 58 times but you might need to do some wire tracing too. If the fuel gauge wiring is constantly live, then something has been swapped around to do this.

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like my car, the wiring has been 'fixed' some time in the past and that leads to all sorts of problems.

When I got my second MGB, it was straight out of the container from America. After spending many months converting to right hand drive and fitting brakes (fitting, not fixing), etc, it was time to do something about the wiring. Some DPO had run wires everywhere, duplicating a lot of the original wiring. I had an electrician take a look. His first move was to remove all the non-standard wiring and hook up the original. Guess what, EVERYTHING worked so heaven only knows why things had been added.

Never trust old wiring repairs because sometimes, they aren't the fix, they're the problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: