Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Alternator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

Sunday Car Club run ended up late coming home 130 klm in the rain and fog not to mention it was very dark. After pulling up at the front door car then refused to start. Old problem new xenon 100 watt headlamps plus 100 watt spots and taillights radio etc. equals approx 34 amps drawn. Generator produces 24 amps .
Have finally made the decission to fit alternator. Bought Mini one today with regulator.

Question? Whos fitted one and what to do.
THANKS. Yellow Sedan Yellow Ute Embarassed Embarassed Shocked

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I am not sure about the Lucas alternators fitted to minis, but I think they only produce about 30 amps or 35 tops, which may still not be quite enough. I do know that Bosch units fitted to fords without aircon (XD vintage) only give 35 amps. I do plan to go down the alternator route eventually and I will be interested to hear the results, and also how the wiring mods are done. Also if anyone has gone down the bosch road, Id like to find out more.

Cheers, paul

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my f100 was apparently 70amps, bosch, it was a standard early falcon v8 type ie 70's
I have a lucas fitted to my ute- I have 130w high beam + stereo seems ok

Scouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you het the alternator that has the regulator built in. Most do, but just check first.
They're pretty easy to wire up & you can leave the original Morris regulator box in place (it now just acts as a junction box).

The alternator only needs 2 wires to operate.
Disconnect your battery first.
Using the 2 dynamo wires, fit the thick one the the main terminal on the alternator. It will be bolted on or use a very large spade terminal & should be marked +. The small wire fits to the exciter circuit. This usually uses a small spade terminal & should be marked D.
At the regulator end, connect the main wire from the alternator to the main wire that runs from the battery to the regulator.
The small wire from the alternator connects to the wire from the regulator to the ignition warning light.

This is basically how it connects, but I'll check a car/manual tonight & give you the wire colours. The larger wires need to be left on the regulator box to feed the fuses, but I'm not sure which terminal to use, I'll find out for sure tonight.

If you go too much over 35/40 amps, I'd upgrade the main wire from the alternator to the battery to handle the current.

Leslie's lilac sedan runs a 120amp alternator. Needless to say it keeps up quite well with the 130w headlights Very Happy .
Are you sure you have xenon headlights, John? They're pretty hard to fit due to the voltage requirements (around 25000 volts) Shocked . Halogen maybe.

MorryStu
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch are MUCH cheaper to fix.....according to the last auto electrician I spoke to

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do radio install work for AQIS and their 4WD's all have xenon spotlights, I think they are hella luminators ? I think they are running somewhere around 40kv. I haven't looked into how they generate the voltage but it must have a hv transformer similar to 12v monitor. Anyway they are really really bright, and very efficient apparently,

Scouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant69 wrote:
I do radio install work for AQIS and their 4WD's all have xenon spotlights, I think they are hella luminators ? I think they are running somewhere around 40kv. I haven't looked into how they generate the voltage but it must have a hv transformer similar to 12v monitor. Anyway they are really really bright, and very efficient apparently,
The new Discoveries & Range Rovers here have high voltage warnings near the xenon headlights (25kv). They have a seperate controller to generate the voltage.
I'm sure John doesn't have these headlights on his Morry Eye Rolls .

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are bolt on spotties which you can buy at any automotive shop that sells hella gear

Scouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant69 wrote:
these are bolt on spotties which you can buy at any automotive shop that sells hella gear

http://www.off-road.com/product_reviews_dir/product_review_208.html

John said he has xenon headlights, maybe he has converted them Eye Rolls .
They certainly weren't xenon at Motorfest in January though Very Happy .

Tom from West Aust
Got the keys

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was walking around "cheap auto parts" the other day and found some globes labled xenon. Had a close look and as far as I could tell they were plain Halogen with a blue tint to the glass.
All they may give off is a blue-ish light but they were NOT true xenon.
They may get away with the name if there is the slightist amount of xenon gas used, then again they were made in China and I doubt if they care one way or another.

Just one of those things.

RussLCV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to note Tom the Lucas alternator you need are the ACR units, these include the regulators hence the R other Lucas without the regulator are shown as AC. Mini ACRs are I think 13, but you can use a 17, 15 or even a 19 ACR on a Minor. I used a secondhand one that I purchsed 6 years ago, still working fine(now that will be the kiss of death to that I am sure).

When time permits I would welcome some photos of the tipper for my planned articles on Oz LCVs

Cheers

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

You could be right about lamps They were marked xeon but are just halogen with blue tint producing brilliant white light, neverless they draw to much current. Yellow Sedan Yellow Ute Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Tom from West Aust
Got the keys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

Whats in a name, eh!
Doesn't matter what they are called as long as you have good lights.
Hope you get charging again shortly. Very Happy

Shocked Russel, e-mail sent. Shocked

RussLCV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom just got back from the Greek Island of Kefalonia so I only got the e-mail 06/07/05 I have replied to you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: