Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Thermo fan with a12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainslow
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Thermo fan with a12 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how much room people have found to have between grill and radiator to install electric fan. Is there sufficient room once the original mechanical fan is removed and rad pushed back as far as possible towards engine? The water pump pulley/flange (with fan removed) will limit the amount I can push rad towards motor. With doing just a rough measurement, It looks like I can only get 45 clear (I need 55 clear I reckon to fit narrowest fan) between rad and grill if I leave minimal clearance between pulley and rad. That's measuring from the vertical support fins that support horizontal grill members to hard against rad. Next step is to inch the whole motor back but I've only got 10mm or so I can get there it seems.

Have people found that it's generally a tight squeeze to fit the 'pusher' style fan between grill and rad? I've seen some great pictures in previous posts that show it's definitely possible to fit fan in.

Looking at one of the Davies, Craig fan units. Perhaps their smallest 8" would suffice?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you move the radiator away from the motor not towards.

stracho
Full Licence

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: thermo fan Reply with quote

Hi mate dont go for a davis fan there are plenty of cheaper ones on ebay i have used all different makes and never had any trouble with them ,that is only my opium. I had no trouble fitting them between the grill and radiator

captainslow
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right. Thanks John. Maybe I should be placing fan on engine side of radiator? I think I ruled this out because fan would have to sit on the drivers side half of radiator only as the water pump pulley would still stick out and interfere with placing fan more centrally. But from what I've read recently, this would possibly still be fine as far as cooling radiator sufficiently?

Yeah thanks for the tip Stracho. I'll look into some ebay specials.

captainslow
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So looking at it a little more closely, it appears that there will be enough room between radiator and grill to fit fan after all. If the motor section of fan (thickest part) sits between the vertical fins that support horizontal grill, then it should all go together nicely. I hadn't taken into consideration that other than the fan motor, the rest of the fan assembly isn't actually too thick. Still won't be much spare room, but I'm pretty sure it will work...

Thanks for the tips so far.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: