Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

My Mum's Morrie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty Maroon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: My Mum's Morrie Reply with quote

Let's face how could a young lad grow up and not like a Morris Minor when sees this one every day of his life. My father who has been in the Used Car business for almost 50 years bought a little black lowlight Morris Minor back in the late to 1960's. Mum loved it and Dad couldn't help himself and painted it maroon, reversed the rims, had them chromed and had a new black in terior fitted. As I understand he had the panels hanging off the rafters of the house while the transformation took place. It had already had a 948cc engine fitted and the top speed was 83mph.

Sadly in 1978, while parked, a car ploughed into the left hand side and did a bit of damage to the door and guard. Not long after the clutch broke and it sat in the garage for several years. We did the clutch and then it sat there for a few more years.

When we moved house in 1988, dad drove over (minus the floor panel) and then I realised this car is drivable and registered as Dad never wanted to lose the orginal Q PLate!! I only had my licence for 1 year but that didn't stop me from takiong it out for a drive to dad's work. Well he nearly freaked!! But he was fine not long later. W drove it for another 2 years and then I bought my own 1960 two door.

She has since returned back in the garage and no IT'S NOT FOR SALE!!!

Hope you like the picture. Take in 1972 before the accident.

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to see cars that have been in the same family for years & years Very Happy .
It would have been unusual to see a car like that even in the '70s as it would have been classed "old" even then Shocked .

So, what's the plan for the car now ?

BTW, do you know what year the lowlight is ?
I'm guessing mid/late 1950 going by the bonnet & Aussie assembly by the painted door frames.

Mighty Maroon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car was first registered on 20 June 1951.

By memory the chasis number is about 76000.

bigginger
I can steer now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reversed the rims? How does that work - it can't be as simple as just turning them round...

Scouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigginger wrote:
Reversed the rims? How does that work - it can't be as simple as just turning them round...
The outer section of the rim is removed from the centre & then reversed so it has the effect of widening the track (& looking like a wider wheel from side-on).

This is probably not advisable on a Series MM due to the very small hub bearings & the inherently weak wheel centres.

Mighty Maroon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said reveresed the rims I meant MM centres with reversed 13" Torana Rims.

bigginger
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha - I'm guessing, that since banded wheels are illegal here, that probably is too. That'll be why I haven't seen it before!

Hmm - wonder why it didn't show my name... Ah - I'd been logged off. Probably 'cos of the changes.

**I think that's going to catch out a few regulars
Scott

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks great. Would be a nice ride with the 948 running gear.
I took the kids for a ride in the morrie with the gearbox tunnel out they thought it was great, the road rushing past, lots of hot air & fumes.
Trev
Aus

Scouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev aus wrote:
lots of hot air & fumes.
Sounds like someone I know Very Happy .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: