Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Having a go at restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rascar. funnies thing here is i'm a hot rodder bushie is almost a purist. so we will land somewhere in the middle. looks like a true morrie. but drives like a 2009 toyota lol.
cheers silvertop.

Lukezaid
Full Licence

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not like one of them Hybrid ones I hope (with the accelorator problem) Hyundai is the way of the future now Very Happy lol

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i guess i could sweet tlk her into a front wheel drive morrie. Very Happy Shocked

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I would love to turn this into a hybrid, but Silvertop has put his foot down and said not a chance Very Happy

It's a bit of role reversal here at the moment. He comes in from a hard day at work expecting a nice homecooked meal and what is he walking into?
Panels all oveer the kitchen bench, dinningroom floor and table and sweet , but frustrated smile" Here babae they all just have 1 bolt I can't get undone can you do this for me real quick? I think he is learning why you blokes keep us women out of the workshop or shed....lol

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haaaa haaaa haaaa workshop or shed would be cool. but to have no room to sit and have an afterwork coffee is a shock. but then i love it as it is. yesterday i opened the front door of a panel shop and was greeted by 3 happy faces. one with a "hey babe can you undo this for me smile Very Happy " two happily playing in rust and dust. Shocked how could any man not be happy with that. Eye Rolls

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silvertop-wow that's super confidence-love it to bits really.That is what is needed in the Morry world, such positive vibes.

Gimme soma dat.

Where were you three months ago-all it would have cost you my friend, would have been the cheapest shipping you could find to get her over there.
But all now too late, sadly.

Just think its great what you and Bushfire are planning, I am following every move, find it quite fascinating.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we had a semi busy weekend. Reading up on all the regulations to make sure it's all legal. Plus story of my life I am waiting on a bloke (engineer) to call me back to let me know if I can do what I want to do.
On the plus side work on the car trailer is going ahead very nicely.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey Bushfire.

A good 'un to work on your car when you want-sort out some of the "fizzical stuff" and make you a car trailor-boy oh boy you must have some good vibes and juices going for you

(sorry its not what I meant)

Good luck with it and hope things are positive from the engineer ?

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Minor
After reading some of the regulations, I can just about guarantie a delay of 3 months while I wait for aproval. Which is Ok, but means I will not make the Nationals.
But on the other hand we will just work on Silvertops Cowley and get it a bit further along.
So there will not be a downtime, we just move to the other one and switch back once I get the go ahead signal.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow there are a lot of changes comming by next year and they all have to be included into this, but at least now we know what we have to do and what can't be done or left in its old stage. So the engineers were very helpfull in pointing it all or most of it out.
Now its to the drawing board on how we will do this the best way so it will pass all the new regulations. Some of what I wanted to keep in its original look will have to be tossed out ( steering wheel is one of them) others I just can leave a dummy handle in order to comply with the new regulations while I put in the new handle that is required.
I guess its better to do it right the first time and not be a recall resto later on.

mowog
I can steer now

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought, but I always wondered about fitting a Triumph Herald/Spitfire front suspension setup, very simple, can do complete replacement of all bushes in half hour, would require serious modification to the front chassis though.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why would you modify a chasis when you can just build a brand new one for around $ 500?

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mowog.
the main issue with that up here in qld is according to my approved person and engineer is that once i alter the monocoque or wheelbase im now required to meet the adr's just the same as an icv build. the easiest way to achieve this is to slide a full chassis under the car therefore allowing wheelbase alterations or chassis mods to suit discs. etc. and we can then legally run 195-205 tires with full compliance. i guess it really all comes down to your engineer and his interpretation of what you wish to do and how to keep it all legal. but yes an altered half chasssis would be a legal mod if done to meet the regs. we looked at that but went for a full chassis as the other benefits to our end concept will give us more flexability for the end result. i see no end of part modded morries for sale on ebay etc that would not meet the regs up here in qld. ive even seen a legal one with macpherson strut front end.
cheers ian.
p.s. looks like im about to become a hypocrit as i will now do the majority of the metalwork myself. the painting i will still get done outsourced as i wish for a better finnish than im capable of.

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recieved my first parts thanks to the super friendly Rustbucket. They even arrived with out my last name on the package, which in itself is a miracle.
The parts are a complete pair of SEMAPHORE TRAFFICATORS SF80 and the trianle bits for the windows
The installation instructions he send me are absolutly amazing and in such detail if I stuff that up somebody needs to take me behind the shed and beat me.
And if anybody ever needs anything wrapped so it does not break Rustbucket is your man.

Work on the chasis will start in 2 weeks, Life just got in the way a bit and so did the flu.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Silvertop and Bushie-I am now back from walkabout in France (thanks goodness) nearly 2,700 miles barely stopped for breath and we call it a holiday-its a good job I am retired and do not drive for a living lol.

Hows it all going, how far have you got,really interested to follow your workings

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushfire

Would really love to see an update pic of your Morris? How are things progressing with the restoration?

Regards
Nancy
(Black Beauty 1953 - 2 door saloon)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: