Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Tom's Minor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Tom's Minor Reply with quote

Finally finished Tom's car and he will be travelling to the Port with me.

Morris Minor two door Camden Cream .
He Fitted new 1400cc Datsun . Five speed Ceilca, 4.2 diff.
Also fitted Two electric fans," Dynamat"( three boxes),new carpets and seats new petrol tank, Pendant pedals, Brake booster, two speed wipers, New Mini speedo front spoiler, Minator mags 185/70/14 Michilin Tyres,etc,etc.
It really goes and looks great.
Some measurements Weight 840KG track 1315mm. wheel height 608mm.
Bank account very thin
Cost $550 for engineer Yellow Sedan Red Sedan Blue Sedan

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great news about the car John. i just hope with so much work done, there are no problems lurking that will rear their ugly heads on the way to or from Port. Looking at the mods that have been done it will be a very comefortable and safe.

Just on those specs, he will have to do something to reduce his track for the engineer. He is 31mm overtracked which is 6mm more than is allowed under VSB14 guidelines unless the engineer has one eye closed.

Also, my car is 905kgs with a full tank of fuel (55 litres) I have put a lot of dynamat in my car. That is probably why mine is heavier.

I will look forward to having a look at it at the nationals.

3 weeks to go

Libbor

Robbo
troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the air cleaner go ???????????

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbo. Looked good but would not tighten up on Carby.
Libbor. Engineer said wheels were not an issue. Incidently these were from Bull Motif in UK under $600Aus for four with nuts and locking nuts.
Tom has also bought a nice alloy/timber steering wheel from UK
We have now removed the Speedo to have it re calibrated. Yellow Sedan Yellow Sedan

Wigman27
4th gear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Can I ask what engineer you used?

Quote:
Just on those specs, he will have to do something to reduce his track for the engineer. He is 31mm overtracked which is 6mm more than is allowed under VSB14 guidelines unless the engineer has one eye closed.

I was talking to a new engineer (Phil Scott) and he said that we are able to use the front track and offset measurements from the KE 55 even though I am still using the torsion bar susspension... I tell you what if there is any part of that standard that I am confused about, its that bit!! Eye Rolls

Really happy for you getting it on the road John, well done Very Happy any pics yet?

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The engineer was Bal Dohnt here in Dubbo . He is well known in the Central West and used by many Gov. departments as well.
He did not pass the gear knob as it did not have the gear numbers and patterns on it. So we had it engraved
I must try and get some pics. Yellow Sedan Yellow Sedan

Wigman27
4th gear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was originally dealing with him but I thought he had gone out of business as I couldn't get onto him.

Do you know if he is going to continue on or was toms one of his last?

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:

Libbor. Engineer said wheels were not an issue. Incidently these were from Bull Motif in UK under $600Aus for four with nuts and locking nuts.
Yellow Sedan Yellow Sedan

Hi John,

Its not the wheels that are the issue, its the addition of the disc brakes

Cheers

Libbor

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is running Major 9inch Drums.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wigman27 wrote:

I was talking to a new engineer (Phil Scott) and he said that we are able to use the front track and offset measurements from the KE 55 even though I am still using the torsion bar susspension... I tell you what if there is any part of that standard that I am confused about, its that bit!! Eye Rolls

Hi Lee

No need to be confused. Quite simply your engineer is wrong. I have read the relevant section in the guidelines. I don't have it with me at the moment but I remember quite clearly what it said.

If you use the complete axle from a donor vehicle, the donor vehicles track measurements are taken as the new specification.

Then, I said if I replace my front stub axles for ones of identical size to the ke55 front stubs, does that account for an axle change and therefore I can use the toyota front track measurements? The reply was,

You have to use the complete axle. ie, struts, , lower arms, crossmember and so on.

Knowing the work involved in this conversion, i thought it easier to just have a set of rego wheels, even though no tape measure by the rego officials went anywhere near my car at the inspection.

Your engineer needs to better understand VSB14. You dont want to find this out in an unfortunate time. Its just not worth it.

So now we need to understand that yes, we do have national guidelines and a national code but everyone interprets it to suit themselves. There are some parts of VSB14 that I dont believe are written clearly enough. This section is one of them. Eye Rolls

Good luck with it all, lee

Cheers

Darren

Wigman27
4th gear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libbor wrote:
Hi Lee

No need to be confused. Quite simply your engineer is wrong. I have read the relevant section in the guidelines. I don't have it with me at the moment but I remember quite clearly what it said.

If you use the complete axle from a donor vehicle, the donor vehicles track measurements are taken as the new specification.

Then, I said if I replace my front stub axles for ones of identical size to the ke55 front stubs, does that account for an axle change and therefore I can use the toyota front track measurements? The reply was,

You have to use the complete axle. ie, struts, , lower arms, crossmember and so on.

Knowing the work involved in this conversion, i thought it easier to just have a set of rego wheels, even though no tape measure by the rego officials went anywhere near my car at the inspection.

Your engineer needs to better understand VSB14. You dont want to find this out in an unfortunate time. Its just not worth it.

So now we need to understand that yes, we do have national guidelines and a national code but everyone interprets it to suit themselves. There are some parts of VSB14 that I dont believe are written clearly enough. This section is one of them. Eye Rolls

Good luck with it all, lee

Cheers

Darren

Exactly how I thought it was supposed to be... my god!!! so much for standards. They should be plain simple and easy to understand.. and no room for interpretation.

I have just started further studies into designing earthing systems and there is just so much room for interpretation its not funny! Shocked

Anyhow, I will solder on. Things are progressing nicley on this front, just sorting out a few rear mount problems and having the bell housing repaired ffrom the butcher that had my car before I did.. then ready for trial fit and then paint engine bay!!

Thanks again mate and hope all is "travelling" well for you Very Happy Yellow Woody

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wigman27 wrote:

then ready for trial fit and then paint engine bay!!

Lee

Happy times are coming to you soon. When you get the engine bay painted, it just looks so good:D

I will have to come and see yours when its done, somehow i think it will look a lot like mine in the pedal, column area Very Happy

Keep plodding on, determination will get you to the finish line.
Then you can sit back and admire your work

Darren

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does come down to the engineers discretion and once a blue plate is fitted, that makes it legal ie insurance can't knock you back

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant69 wrote:
It does come down to the engineers discretion and once a blue plate is fitted, that makes it legal ie insurance can't knock you back

Fair call Grant. I guess that is one advantage of being in NSW. No rego office to check the engineers work. I wish all states could be like NSW. It would save so much hassle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: