Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Fitting 1098-style indicators to 948 wings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
translateltd
Got the keys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Fitting 1098-style indicators to 948 wings Reply with quote

I've bought in some new 1098-style front sidelight/indicator units that I want to fit in place of the existing twin-filament white sidelights. I assume I need to make the aperture in the wing larger to accommodate the new fitting - is there a template somewhere showing the dimensions/shape etc?

Car is a 1962 948cc four-door, NZ assembled.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have just fitted two to my Ute , I made a template out of stiff cardboard fitted it to the lights ( made a few before I got it right) then held it central over the existing parker and marked it out. Finally cutting out with curved tin snips.
Mark and drill mounting holes first so you do not overcut. the hole is approx. 50mm high by 30mm wide.
The light fitting has a thick rubber gasket that fits under it.
I had parkers in the head lights so I have made them daytime running lights like modern cars.

translateltd
Got the keys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's handy - thanks. It's frustrating that ESM doesn't send out instructions with its parts.
I've got another basic question - how do you remove the lens cover from the new lights? I'm reluctant to get too forceful in case I wreck it by doing it wrong. I'll need to take it off to screw the fitting onto the car in any case.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light lens have 4 lugs equally spaced around the edge, simply turn anti-clockwise about 20mm to remove. On the car you need to press down as you turn to compress the rubber gasket.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: